Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PMC Speakers Owner Thread
(31-May-2017, 18:01)Confused Wrote:
(31-May-2017, 15:27)petrik Wrote:
(31-May-2017, 13:14)Confused Wrote: Oddly enough, the Fact 12 audition day ended with me trying the KEF Blade, which OAC also had available for demo, they did do it for me!  Although I think it was about another 5 months of trying different stuff at different places before I finally parted with any cash.

May I ask what were the main differences between PMC Fact 12 and KEF Blade?

To be clear here, this particular audition was about four years ago now, so I cannot claim to remember every detail.  However, I do remember the key impressions very clearly and these were mostly related to bass performance.  I recall the PMC's being generally very good, but being a little disappointed with the bass performance.  I can actually recall the conversation with one of the OAC guys regarding why the Fact 12's were vastly more expensive than the outgoing PB1i's, and yet equipped with smaller bass drivers.  In comparison the Blades had vastly more powerful and visceral bass.  (Yet still very accurate)  Raw numbers can be deceptive, but the Blades have 4 x 230mm drivers versus the PMC's 2 x 140mm, so quite a difference.  (only part of the story, I know)  I can also recall being far more engaged with the Blades versus being left slightly cold by the PMC's, as I said, they somehow didn't do it for me.  There is a huge amount of personal preference here though, I can think of some speakers that others have given rave reviews to on this forum, which personally I do not like much, but that's to be expected with speakers I think. 

Other points to note are that they look very different, the Blades do not exactly blend in to the average domestic environment!  Plus I think the Blades can be very fussy with respect to room size and layout, if the room is too narrow they do sound a little odd, if the room is too large they can sound a little lost, and the side mounted drivers can make room layout and placement problematic.  Plus there is that final problem that the Blades are a lot more expensive!  Having said that, they are old enough now to occasionally turn up on the second hand market, and at very tempting prices too!
Were they both driven by the 240?  My PMCs are inefficient so your poor experience with Fact 12 might be from the underpowered amp as you seem to have a better experience with other PMC models?
System: Lenovo Laptop (Ethernet to router) >> Tidal/Hi-Res Files (M2 SSD) >> Roon >> HQPlayer (DSD64) >> Air (latest version) >> D800 (Ethernet to router) >> PMC Twenty5.26

Cable: Ethernet (Nordost Heimdall 2 / only for D800), Digital (Stock Crystal cable), Speaker (XLO Pro Series)

Router: Netgear Orbi (main Orbi connected to the laptop / satellite Orbi connected to the D800).  Each Orbi communicates wirelessly. 
(01-Jun-2017, 07:58)apichetk Wrote: Were they both driven by the 240?  My PMCs are inefficient so your poor experience with Fact 12 might be from the underpowered amp as you seem to have a better experience with other PMC models?

Yes, both were driven by the 240.  Although I should be clear here, in no way would I describe the demo of the Fact 12 as a 'poor experience', far from it, everything was set up well and everything sounded as it should.  Far more a case of the Fact 12's as being 'not for me'.  Having said that, when I listened to the PB1i's they were being driven by the big Byston mono blocks, which certainly do not have any power or current limitation issues!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Big Grin 
    Right from the mobile SAM lab...PMC Twenty5 26 model is now SAM ready!
System: Lenovo Laptop (Ethernet to router) >> Tidal/Hi-Res Files (M2 SSD) >> Roon >> HQPlayer (DSD64) >> Air (latest version) >> D800 (Ethernet to router) >> PMC Twenty5.26

Cable: Ethernet (Nordost Heimdall 2 / only for D800), Digital (Stock Crystal cable), Speaker (XLO Pro Series)

Router: Netgear Orbi (main Orbi connected to the laptop / satellite Orbi connected to the D800).  Each Orbi communicates wirelessly. 
(26-May-2017, 01:35)apichetk Wrote: Hi everyone - I wonder if there are any PMC owners out there.  I'm thinking that we can share our setups here to benefit other fellow PMC owners and also those who are considering PMC speakers.

Mine is a pair of Twenty5.26.  My full setup is in my signature.   Smile

Revive this thread? I am considering to buy new cables to my Fact 8 speakers and it would be great if other PMC owners would share their experiences.
I now use Audio Bridge cables (German brand, not very well-known, I assume), I’m quite satisfied with them, but I have to admit I never compared them against other (more expensive) ones. Of course, I have to try and compare other cables at home and the number of brands provided by dealers in my region is limited. But your experiences might give me some hints for search and evaluation.
Scanning this thread I found four brands in use with Devialet Expert and PMC speakers
• XLO Pro Series (Bi-wire?)
• Chord interconnects and speaker cable
• ‘Normal’ cables (very curious, what «normal» means)
• Tellurium-Q Black
Why did you chose these cables, pro, cons, alternatives? Are there more PMC owners who could report on their choice of speaker cables ?
Devialet 220 pro CI - Surface 4 pro / Dirac / Roon / AIR - Kuzma Stabi S / Hana SL - PMC Fact 8
Chord-Cable and HMS are good matches between the 25 series and Devialet

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
very recently heard these MB2S XBD (passive ver) with Bryston electronics ...

[img][Image: image.png][/img]
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(16-Nov-2018, 19:10)Ron McKernan Wrote: Revive this thread? I am considering to buy new cables to my Fact 8 speakers and it would be great if other PMC owners would share their experiences.
I now use Audio Bridge cables (German brand, not very well-known, I assume), I’m quite satisfied with them, but I have to admit I never compared them against other (more expensive) ones. Of course, I have to try and compare other cables at home and the number of brands provided by dealers in my region is limited. But your experiences might give me some hints for search and evaluation.
Scanning this thread I found four brands in use with Devialet Expert and PMC speakers
• XLO Pro Series (Bi-wire?)
• Chord interconnects and speaker cable
• ‘Normal’ cables (very curious, what «normal» means)
• Tellurium-Q Black
Why did you chose these cables, pro, cons, alternatives? Are there more PMC owners who could report on their choice of speaker cables ?

Ron,

First time I heard the fact 8 was on a D120. Speaker cables were some Atlas cables. I was initially not too impressed. Later I went back for a comparison between 20.26, Fact 8 and 12. The speaker cables were changed for Chord Signature Reference (from 2015) and a brand new D200 had to be taken out of the box. Both cables were of similar price, but maybe not a fair comparison. I really liked the 8 on this system a lot more. This was at Fanthorpes in Hull, UK.

I started with a D200 with Fact 12 using my old Chord Odyssey 4.  This was a very good start for me. I tried Audioquest Comet speaker cable from a local dealer, but really didn't like it more than the Odyssey in my set. An upgrade to 2x2m Chord Sarum speaker cable was a big improvement. A couple of months ago I bought a D250 making another big step forward, but to my surprise using them together as a "D400" was even better. (I would not recommend this to anyone though, unless there are plans for a further upgrade).

I don't know your current cables, but I can recommend the Chord Sarum and expect the Sarum T will even be better. Maybe try the Chord Signature series.  I was happy with the demo of the Reference and ordered the Sarum online as there's no dealer nearby. I also recommend you to have a look at Shunyata (I'd love to try the Sigma one day). 
1. Devialet D1000 Pro, PMC Fact 12, Shunyata Sigma V2 speaker cables, Roon RAAT.
2. Devialet D250, Acoustic Energy AE1 mk1 on original stands, Straight Wire Crescendo 3 speaker cables. Roon
PMC Twenty5.24 here, in combination With Devialet Expert 220 Pro, CI. A good match I think.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Bryston BCD-3 , Roon, Technics SL 1500C, PMC Twenty5.24. Isotek, Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, Beyerdynamic DT 1770 Pro
PMC twenty5.26 with Devialet Expert 440 Pro CI. A match made in heaven.
Roon Lifetime, Innuos Zenith Mk3, Devialet Expert 440 Pro CI, PMC twenty5.26, IsoTek EVO3 Sigmas Power Conditioning 
Bryston BCD-3, Rega RP10, Aphelion MC, Rega Aura, Sennheiser HDV820/HD820 
AQ NRG-Z3, AQ Diamond Ethernet, ISOAcoustics OREA Pucks, AQ Thunder, AQ Castle Rock, IsoTek Evo3 Optimum IEC, Van Den Hul Interconnects, HiFi Racks Podium Reference Rack