Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom 1 Wifi vs Ethernet?
Hello

i own a pair of new Phantom 1 108db which works with Wifi.
I use Roon/Tidal.

I am wondering to switch with ethernet link.

Is there benefits or not relative to SQ?

Thanks
If you don’t have any stability nor drop out issues with WiFi, I highly doubt that Ethernet would bring you any benefits.

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(08-Oct-2021, 10:52)Jean-Marie Wrote: If you don’t have any stability nor drop out issues with WiFi, I highly doubt that Ethernet would bring you any benefits.

Jean-Marie

No, good Ethernet can give a much better SQ even when you have the best WiFI
I have tried both and find no difference.
iMac 2021, Roon, home wifi, Devialet Phantom I x 2
(08-Oct-2021, 10:52)-Jean-Marie Wrote: If you don’t have any stability nor drop out issues with WiFi, I highly doubt that Ethernet would bring you any benefits.

Jean-Marie

I am very sure that after years of experimenting, with Ethernet, cables, EtherRegen with afterdark clock and LPS and optical modules and LPS on modem/router etc. there is no going back on my phantom golds.

The difference is substantial
At this moment i can observe every change even if it is only of 1 cable.
(08-Oct-2021, 15:55)Johnnydev Wrote:
(08-Oct-2021, 10:52)-Jean-Marie Wrote: If you don’t have any stability nor drop out issues with WiFi, I highly doubt that Ethernet would bring you any benefits.

Jean-Marie

I am very sure that after years of experimenting, with Ethernet, cables, EtherRegen with afterdark clock and LPS and optical modules and LPS on modem/router etc. there is no going back on my phantom golds.

The difference is substantial
At this moment i can observe every change even if it is only of 1 cable.

Not true! My opinion. What Jean-Marie wrote is correct! Fact: Phantoms receive the streamed music, either through internal PLC, Ethernet or WiFi and store it internally… and then play the received stream. For this reason independent of how you stream to the Phantoms all is equal for a specific protocol. What matters is which protocol you use. RAAT has best bandwidth, then comes UPNP, then AirPlay2, then Spotify connect or mp3. Optical input is worse than RAAT and UPNP. I made measurements of all these protocols and see the differences in bandwidth, mainly on the cut-off frequency of the different protocols when playing 96k/24 bit music or for measurements sine sweep functions.
(08-Oct-2021, 22:19)streamy Wrote: Bullshit! My opinion.
Not sure why it is necessary to use such language and abuse a fellow forum member.  While you have found no differences, others have a different experience. 

I found a small improvement with Ethernet over wifi, but there was a marked difference with the addition of an Uptone EtherRegen.  A number of us have documented our experience in this thread
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Audiophi...generation
(09-Oct-2021, 02:36)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(08-Oct-2021, 22:19)streamy Wrote: Bullshit! My opinion.
Not sure why it is necessary to use such language and abuse a fellow forum member.  While you have found no differences, others have a different experience. 

I found a small improvement with Ethernet over wifi, but there was a marked difference with the addition of an Uptone EtherRegen.  A number of us have documented our experience in this thread
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Audiophi...generation

Your right, both about language and that there can be differences. When you add in the signal chain a device that modifies/changes the original stream, maybe that’s what uptone is doing, then there can be a change in sound. However, when the streamed bits are untouched and in case that WiFi has no bandwidth problems, connecting an additional cable (Ethernet) to the Phantoms can only have a negative influence to the sound. Without Ethernet the stream is already (bit)perfect, nothing to improve.
(08-Oct-2021, 22:19)streamy Wrote: Not true! My opinion. What Jean-Marie wrote is correct! Fact: Phantoms receive the streamed music, either through internal PLC, Ethernet or WiFi and store it internally… and then play the received stream. For this reason independent of how you stream to the Phantoms all is equal for a specific protocol. What matters is which protocol you use. RAAT has best bandwidth, then comes UPNP, then AirPlay2, then Spotify connect or mp3. Optical input is worse than RAAT and UPNP. I made measurements of all these protocols and see the differences in bandwidth, mainly on the cut-off frequency of the different protocols when playing 96k/24 bit music or for measurements sine sweep functions.

Hello

thanks for your answer.
I plan to change to Spotify Hifi when it comes out. I will use MConnect protocol.
Do you think i will lose SQ because of bandwidth issue compare to RAAT?

In fact, my wifi performance testing:
- 40 Mb/s down
- 55 Mb/s up
- 5ms latency h 43,2 Mb/s
(09-Oct-2021, 08:38)streamy Wrote: When you add in the signal chain a device that modifies/changes the original stream, maybe that’s what uptone is doing, then there can be a change in sound. However, when the streamed bits are untouched and in case that WiFi has no bandwidth problems, connecting an additional cable (Ethernet) to the Phantoms can only have a negative influence to the sound. Without Ethernet the stream is already (bit)perfect, nothing to improve.
When I first started exploring the use of an "audiophile switch", I was just as skeptical. I bought the Uptone EtherRegen on the basis that it could be returned within 30 days; it has now stayed for almost 2 years.

It is up to you to decide whether this area is worth exploring. If you decide this is not for you, please continue to respect others...