Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Classic 101dB vs Phantom I 103dB
Hey All,

I'm in a bit of a dilemma currently. I'm in the process of purchasing (as a pair) either the Phantom Classic 101dB for around $1200 each or the Phantom I 103dB at around $1700 each. Both are brand new from the retailer.

I was wondering what the advantages of the newer Phantom I model is compared to the older model?

Do both end up hitting 20Hz to 20 Khz at around 80dB SPL C-weighted, or does the newer model do this better than the older one?

I know that the newer 103dB model is available in Matte Black which looks amazing, but trying to find out what the extra $1K would get me if I invest in the newer model.

Thanks all for your help and time!
There is some information in this thread
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Phantom-...-Phantom-I
The advantage of the new model is a more powerful SOC with greater power efficiency. I would go for the Silvers if they are made later than week 49 2017. Then you'll have the latest ADH amplifier module with less background noise and distortion. Here's how to find the production year and week:
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Is-your-...9#pid71679

The Silvers are a bit more powerful than the Phantom I 103 and a great value for money at that price. Do your retailer provide a warranty? The Phantom Silver went out of production in 2019 as far as I know.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(07-Nov-2021, 00:38)ragwo Wrote: The advantage of the new model is a more powerful SOC with greater power efficiency. I would go for the Silvers if they are made later than week 49 2017. Then you'll have the latest ADH amplifier module with less background noise and distortion. Here's how to find the production year and week:
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Is-your-...9#pid71679

The Silvers are a bit more powerful than the Phantom I 103 and a great value for money at that price. Do your retailer provide a warranty? The Phantom Silver went out of production in 2019 as far as I know.

Sorry, a bit confused at the moment since there are a few models of the older version, the model I've seen is for the Phantom Classic model (white side-woofers with silver side-plate) and not the Silver Phantom. Is there a big difference between the two?

Thanks for your help so far!
Sorry, I misread your post somehow. The only difference between the Phantom Classic and 103 dB is the more powerful SOC with greater power efficiency and the matte body vs high gloss on the old model. If you buy the 103 dB, two Remotes V2 will be included.
My Phantom Voyage
(07-Nov-2021, 01:32)ragwo Wrote: Sorry, I misread your post somehow. The only difference between the Phantom Classic and 103 dB is the more powerful SOC with greater power efficiency and the matte body vs high gloss on the old model. If you buy the 103 dB, two Remotes V2 will be included.

Many thanks for your help so far! Smile 

Since the Phantom II 98dB / Reactor 900 is about $1200 and the Reactor Classic is too, would it be best to go for 2x Phantom Classics or 2x Reactor 900s?

Wondering whether the Reactor 900 would be able to hit 20 Hz or would going for the older Classic do a better job at this?

Cheers!
@audiobirdi
As I don't own a Phantom II, I haven't done a comparison. I you take a look at the Phantom II part of the forum there are some comparisons of the two models. I would still go for the Classic as it is a three way speaker with bigger drivers all over.

Edit: By the way, the Phantom II has a 60ms latency, optical direct mode or not, as you asked questions on the minimum lag audio chain in another thread.
My Phantom Voyage
(07-Nov-2021, 09:53)ragwo Wrote: @audiobirdi
As I don't own a Phantom II, I haven't done a comparison. I you take a look at the Phantom II part of the forum there are some comparisons of the two models. I would still go for the Classic as it is a three way speaker with bigger drivers all over.

Edit: By the way, the Phantom II has a 60ms latency, optical direct mode or not, as you asked questions on the minimum lag audio chain in another thread.

Many thanks for all of your help @ragwo Smile Will definitely look at the Phantom II part of the forum. Still deciding over the Classic and the Phantom I 103dB currently, the matte finish as well as the efficiency of power looks very enticing, the extra $1K is a big knock but at the same time, the retailer I am going to use have 0% finance for up to 4 years so it wouldn't cost too much per month as a whole Smile. Will compare the Phantom II and I in-person in around a week hopefully and will report back Smile.