Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Phantom Premier vs Phantom I
Hi Guys,

I wanted to start a new thread about the hardware differences between the "old" Phantom Premier and the new Phantom I. Last December I bought a new Phantom. Compared to my other Phantoms, the newest one showed some differences. The first thing I have noticed was that the model no. on the box changed from ZP496 to MX207. This already made me suspicious. Later on I discovered that the new unit consumed less power, had a faster boot-up time and heat production was much less. When I confronted Devialet with this, they acted very secretive and they came up with all kinds of weird explanations. Multiple users reported similar findings in other threads.

Now that the specs of Phantom I were reveiled earlier today, my guess is that Devialet already brought this "new" Phantom to the market a couple of weeks ago (or at least the internals). The faster and more efficient processor (1.25GHz processor instead of a 800MHz processor) may explain the faster boot time and lower power consumption.

It would be interesting to know if this is indeed the case for all of us who recently bought a Phantom. The serial number of the Phantom I bought starts with N42 (2020, Week 42).

I also wonder what will happen if you ever need a replacement. I got Devialet Care, but will Devialet be able to provide the glossy white version for up to 5 years? I'm also not sure about compatibility (old Phantom + new Phantom in stereo setup). Is this even possible apart from the difference in appearance ofc..

I'm also surprised that Phantom I is only available with a remote included. Ultimately a lot of people will buy 2 Phantoms.. I suppose a lot of remotes will end up on the second hand market which is good news for me  Cool

What do you guys think?
https://www.whathifi.com/news/devialet-p...next-level
(02-Feb-2021, 16:49)Walzu Wrote: Hi Guys,

I wanted to start a new thread about the hardware differences between the "old" Phantom Premier and the new Phantom I. Last December I bought a new Phantom. Compared to my other Phantoms, the newest one showed some differences. The first thing I have noticed was that the model no. on the box changed from ZP496 to MX207. This already made me suspicious. Later on I discovered that the new unit consumed less power, had a faster boot-up time and heat production was much less. When I confronted Devialet with this, they acted very secretive and they came up with all kinds of weird explanations. Multiple users reported similar findings in other threads.

Now that the specs of Phantom I were reveiled earlier today, my guess is that Devialet already brought this "new" Phantom to the market a couple of weeks ago (or at least the internals). The faster and more efficient processor (1.25GHz processor instead of a 800MHz processor) may explain the faster boot time and lower power consumption.

It would be interesting to know if this is indeed the case for all of us who recently bought a Phantom. The serial number of the Phantom I bought starts with N42 (2020, Week 42).

I also wonder what will happen if you ever need a replacement. I got Devialet Care, but will Devialet be able to provide the glossy white version for up to 5 years? I'm also not sure about compatibility (old Phantom + new Phantom in stereo setup). Is this even possible apart from the difference in appearance ofc..

I'm also surprised that Phantom I is only available with a remote included. Ultimately a lot of people will buy 2 Phantoms.. I suppose a lot of remotes will end up on the second hand market which is good news for me  Cool

What do you guys think?

Even i purchased two gold phantoms in late December 2020 and i am wondering whether there is be a big difference between my phantom golds and the phantom I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like you should check your serial number you probably already have the new one just no remote
Does the new Phantom I also fit with the "old" Treepods?
(02-Feb-2021, 17:38)TechGuy Wrote: Sounds like you should check your serial number you probably already have the new one just no remote

The color is different though. The new one is matte white whereas mine is glossy white

The billion dollar question is whether there is a material difference in the sound between the Phantom I models and the Phantom Premier models.

If not, then the upgraded internals don't mean a thing.
So, am I getting this right? New phantoms DAC can handle 24/96 but DOS2 is throttling this to 24/48?

How does this compare to original phantoms and DOS1? Another reason to remain on DOS1 if this has a “better” capability.

(02-Feb-2021, 20:16)steve_denney Wrote: So, am I getting this right? New phantoms DAC can handle 24/96 but DOS2 is throttling this to 24/48?

How does this compare to original phantoms and DOS1? Another reason to remain on DOS1 if this has a “better”  capability.

The DAC is capable of 24/192 but Devialet is throttling. I can still stream 24/192 over Toslink and UPnP to the the speakers despite the 24/48 limit. The 24/48 limit could be an easy way to get rid of known stability problems with higher res streaming; just state that it's not supported. Easy way out.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I bought the Gold Phantoms Opera de Paris in October 2020 and got the MX207 model too. I can’t tell whether it’s running cooler or warmer as I haven’t dabbled with the older model. The phantom’s temp is the same as the room temp so I guess that’s good.

For those with the Devialet Care - I recommend you don’t use up your 1 time device replacement option unless absolutely necessary as you can get your old Phantoms replaced with latest gen. There isn’t that big of a difference between the new and MX 207 models that warrants a replacement.

Can someone confirm what the model number of the new phantoms is?