Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Phantom Premier vs Phantom I
(04-Feb-2021, 15:21)BAMBAMODA Wrote:
(04-Feb-2021, 09:05)daibaron Wrote: @BAMBAMODA
I sold my Phantom gold as it was becoming more difficult to deal with all Devialet's issues.
I bought the Sonos Play 5 for a transition period as I couldn't find and buy something better.
Yesterday I went to the store to listen to the Gold.
They sound better than the Sonos Play 5 but they are not 5 times better than Sonos  when considering the sell price is 5x higher.

Yeah. I was told two SONOS fives was more complete than 1 phantom.  I’m looking forward to seeing how it compares at least using Spotify. I ordered from crutchfield so no clue how long for them to get the phantom I 108db in and ship. If I really like it I’ll get two.

Just like with the reactors, buying one piece is not a good idea for the best SQ
Indeed, i had 2 Gold and 2 Play Five
2 Play Five sound always better than 1 Phantom no matter what the model is.
The new Phantom is limited to 24/48 and the old Phantom was downsized in its specs to play 24/48...
They stated it was "The best sound in the world" then "Unreasonable sound" to "The sound is amazingly just OK"
Devialet , you guys are just joy killers... <------------(Please Devialet read this)
Please excuse my poor reputation
(05-Feb-2021, 10:03)Johnnydev Wrote:
(04-Feb-2021, 15:21)BAMBAMODA Wrote:
(04-Feb-2021, 09:05)daibaron Wrote: @BAMBAMODA
I sold my Phantom gold as it was becoming more difficult to deal with all Devialet's issues.
I bought the Sonos Play 5 for a transition period as I couldn't find and buy something better.
Yesterday I went to the store to listen to the Gold.
They sound better than the Sonos Play 5 but they are not 5 times better than Sonos  when considering the sell price is 5x higher.

Yeah. I was told two SONOS fives was more complete than 1 phantom.  I’m looking forward to seeing how it compares at least using Spotify. I ordered from crutchfield so no clue how long for them to get the phantom I 108db in and ship. If I really like it I’ll get two.

Just like with the reactors, buying one piece is not a good idea for the best SQ

Yeah. That’s why I didn’t buy another Sonos. I think the five sounds muffled.
Crutchfield can suck a fat baby arm. 
(03-Feb-2021, 20:58)ragwo Wrote:
(03-Feb-2021, 20:14)BAMBAMODA Wrote: I just ordered the 108db version in matte black.

Anyone know how this will compare to my Sonos FIVE? 

Thanks
It will be night and day. The Phantom is in a different league, hence the price difference. Congratulations and enjoy!
Late to the discussion.  I had 3 Sonos Play 5 Mk 1s, dispersed in the house. Decided one day, for fun, to compare a pair of Play 5s to a pair of Golds.  Night and Day.  The issue is that the Play 5s have speaker cones at different angles.  Pairing up the Play 5s resulted in a muddy stereo image.

I did not compare a pair of Play 5s to a single Phantom, but I suspect I would have preferred the Phantom.
(02-Feb-2021, 20:44)Wiz Wrote: I bought the Gold Phantoms Opera de Paris in October 2020 and got the MX207 model too. I can’t tell whether it’s running cooler or warmer as I haven’t dabbled with the older model. The phantom’s temp is the same as the room temp so I guess that’s good.

For those with the Devialet Care - I recommend you don’t use up your 1 time device replacement option unless absolutely necessary as you can get your old Phantoms replaced with latest gen. There isn’t that big of a difference between the new and MX 207 models that warrants a replacement.

Can someone confirm what the model number of the new phantoms is?

I do not know what new or old Phantom Golds are. Mine are MX207 from J50, week 50, 2016, not really new. And they accept 24/192k on the optical input.
(05-Feb-2021, 19:03)streamy Wrote:
(02-Feb-2021, 20:44)Wiz Wrote: I bought the Gold Phantoms Opera de Paris in October 2020 and got the MX207 model too. I can’t tell whether it’s running cooler or warmer as I haven’t dabbled with the older model. The phantom’s temp is the same as the room temp so I guess that’s good.

For those with the Devialet Care - I recommend you don’t use up your 1 time device replacement option unless absolutely necessary as you can get your old Phantoms replaced with latest gen. There isn’t that big of a difference between the new and MX 207 models that warrants a replacement.

Can someone confirm what the model number of the new phantoms is?

I do not know what new or old Phantom Golds are. Mine are MX207 from J50, week 50, 2016, not really new. And they accept 24/192k on the optical input.

mine is N28, it changes  name from GOLD PHANTOM to PHANTOM I GOLD after upgrade.
do your phantoms change the name displayed in the app after upgrade?
Is there a difference in sound quality between Gold Phantom and Phantom 1 108db?
Yes,i think only the gold has a titanium tweeter so its different in sound..
(05-Feb-2021, 19:03)streamy Wrote: And they accept 24/192k on the optical input.

But we still do not know if this is down sampled (secretly) for transfer to the other speaker. Maybe a single Phantom in Solo mode has 24/192 straight through while paired Phantoms down sample? Are you still using DOS1?
Hopefully we'll know soon if @struts can find the time to do measurements.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(21-Feb-2021, 10:27)john2910 Wrote: Yes,i think only the gold has a titanium tweeter so its different in sound..

The phantom 1 108db also has titanium tweeter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk