Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Classic running hot
Hi everyone,

after purchasing two Phantom Classics, I'm new to this forum. 
I used the search function to see if my question got disucssed before but couldn't find any related posts.
Maybe somebody has experienced something similar:

Both my Phantoms run on DOS 2.10 in "single mode" (not paired since located in different rooms).
One of them will run quite hot in the area were the power button is located. The other one gets slightly warm when listening at moderate volume.

The unit that runs very hot will even heat up when no music is played. The other one stays cool when no music is played.

Did anybody else experience such significant difference between two similar units?
I was wondering of the one that gets very hot might have an issue?!

Besides that, both work perfectly fine and the sound is awesome! Smile

Thanks for your comments! Smile
Hi and welcome to the forum!
Try using a wattmeter to measure how much power they draw under the same conditions.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(12-Aug-2020, 19:48)ragwo Wrote: Hi and welcome to the forum!
Try using a wattmeter to measure how much power they draw under the same conditions.

Good idea! I'm still waiting for the powermeter to arrive. Smile
In the meantime, I checked what the lables say on both speakers.
I ordered to "Phantom Classic" but the lables on the speakers don't show the same information:

The unit that runs very hot shows "Phantom (ZP496)" and copyright information of 2014 on the label.
The unit that only gets moderatly warm shows "Phantom (MX207)" and copyright information of 2019 on the label.

I wonder if both speakers are the most recent version of the "Phantom Classic"?! Can the first really be a unit from 2014? Both were sold directly by Devialet and should be new.
Both work via AirPlay.
(14-Aug-2020, 17:14)Hannes Wrote:
(12-Aug-2020, 19:48)ragwo Wrote: Hi and welcome to the forum!

Good idea! I'm still waiting for the powermeter to arrive. Smile
In the meantime, I checked what the lables say on both speakers.
I ordered to "Phantom Classic" but the lables on the speakers don't show the same information:

The unit that runs very hot shows "Phantom (ZP496)" and copyright information of 2014 on the label.
The unit that only gets moderatly warm shows "Phantom (MX207)" and copyright information of 2019 on the label.

I wonder if both speakers are the most recent version of the "Phantom Classic"?! Can the first really be a unit from 2014? Both were sold directly by Devialet and should be new.
Both work via AirPlay.
The serial number can tell you when the speakers are manufactured. The first post in in this thread tells you how to:
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Is-your-...9#pid71679
My Phantom Voyage
Very helpful! Thx!

Based on the serial number, they were built in 2018 and 2019. Strange that the label of the unit from 2018 says "©2014".

In the meantime, I checked the power consumption:

Unit from 2018 (very hot):            Idle => 20W; music at 35% => 26W; when set to standby (long press of power button) < 1W
Unit from 2019 (moderatly warm): Idle => 6W;  music at 35%  => 13W; when set to standby (long press of power button) < 1W

Smile So both are sold as Phantom Classic, both were bought within the last two week directly from Devialet. I really wonder if the 2018 unit should show this behavior..
You should contact Devialet support and tell them about the high power usage. I believe another devialetchat user got a new one when having a similar issue.

Edit: It could be that the 2018 model has an older chipset with ADH, not ADH-2, and therefore consumes more power. Did you buy both speakers at the same time?
My Phantom Voyage
(15-Aug-2020, 17:06)ragwo Wrote: You should contact Devialet support and tell them about the high power usage. I believe another devialetchat user got a new one when having a similar issue.

Edit: It could be that the 2018 model has an older chipset with ADH, not ADH-2, and therefore consumes more power. Did you buy both speakers at the same time?

I bought the 2018 model first about 10 days ago. The second one arrived three days ago. (I tested the first one, liked the sound Smile and had to get a second one...).
I will get in contact with support. Let's see what they can do.
(15-Aug-2020, 18:38)Hannes Wrote:
(15-Aug-2020, 17:06)ragwo Wrote: You should contact Devialet support and tell them about the high power usage. I believe another devialetchat user got a new one when having a similar issue.

I bought the 2018 model first about 10 days ago. The second one arrived three days ago. (I tested the first one, liked the sound Smile and had to get a second one...).
I will get in contact with support. Let's see what they can do.
Good luck, keep us updated.
My Phantom Voyage
Hello,
Any updates regarding the heating issue.
I am new to the forum. I just bought a pair of Devialet Phantom Classic. I am having the same issue with overheating on both speakers. They are also different models...same as the ones mentioned in this thread. They're  bought 2 days ago.
Also there are lots of problems with syncing them as a pair. 
I don't know whether I should keep them or return them.
Is there any other alternatives at this price point? Cheers
(28-Aug-2020, 00:44)cicirrigi Wrote: Hello,
Any updates regarding the heating issue.
I am new to the forum. I just bought a pair of Devialet Phantom Classic. I am having the same issue with overheating on both speakers. They are also different models...same as the ones mentioned in this thread. They're  bought 2 days ago.
Also there are lots of problems with syncing them as a pair. 
I don't know whether I should keep them or return them.
Is there any other alternatives at this price point? Cheers
I would contact Devialet Support ASAP.
My Phantom Voyage