Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom Classic running hot
(28-Aug-2020, 18:43)ragwo Wrote:
(28-Aug-2020, 00:44)cicirrigi Wrote: Hello,
Any updates regarding the heating issue.
I am new to the forum. I just bought a pair of Devialet Phantom Classic. I am having the same issue with overheating on both speakers. They are also different models...same as the ones mentioned in this thread. They're  bought 2 days ago.
Also there are lots of problems with syncing them as a pair. 
I don't know whether I should keep them or return them.
Is there any other alternatives at this price point? Cheers
I would contact Devialet Support ASAP.

Just a quick feedback:
I got my issue resolved. After contacting customer support, the Phantom that was running hot was exchanged within a week.
Now I've got two that seem to be similar. My stereo issue has been resolved. They work perfectly fine now in stereo.
Also the exchanged one has a lower power consumption and doesn't get hot.

I'm very happy with my speakers now. So far, the service of Devialet was excellent.
(28-Aug-2020, 19:32)Hannes Wrote:
(28-Aug-2020, 18:43)ragwo Wrote:
(28-Aug-2020, 00:44)cicirrigi Wrote: Hello,
Any updates regarding the heating issue.
I am new to the forum. I just bought a pair of Devialet Phantom Classic. I am having the same issue with overheating on both speakers. They are also different models...same as the ones mentioned in this thread. They're  bought 2 days ago.
Also there are lots of problems with syncing them as a pair. 
I don't know whether I should keep them or return them.
Is there any other alternatives at this price point? Cheers
I would contact Devialet Support ASAP.

Just a quick feedback:
I got my issue resolved. After contacting customer support, the Phantom that was running hot was exchanged within a week.
Now I've got two that seem to be similar. My stereo issue has been resolved. They work perfectly fine now in stereo.
Also the exchanged one has a lower power consumption and doesn't get hot.

I'm very happy with my speakers now. So far, the service of Devialet was excellent.

Great news! Thanks for the update.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I got 2 phantoms. One serial number starting with M44 (older unit), the other N30 (brand new unit). Although bought just 3 months apart, the serial numbers imply a production date difference of 38 weeks. I did notice that the new unit stays cool always, the older unit gets warm, never too hot.

The explanation from Devialet support was that it's normal to have them operating at a different temperature, since one unit is a master (in stereo setup) and it will get hotter than the slave unit.

Not sure this explanation cuts the cake, I just think Devialet engineers have done something to the circuits and units from 2020. are using power more efficiently with less heat dissipation.

Anyway, does anyone know how can we tell what unit is a master and what is a slave, or any possibility to switch them ?
(16-Sep-2020, 22:56)Milan Wrote: I got 2 phantoms. One serial number starting with M44 (older unit), the other N30 (brand new unit). Although bought just 3 months apart, the serial numbers imply a production date difference of 38 weeks. I did notice that the new unit stays cool always, the older unit gets warm, never too hot.

The explanation from Devialet support was that it's normal to have them operating at a different temperature, since one unit is a master (in stereo setup) and it will get hotter than the slave unit.

Not sure this explanation cuts the cake, I just think Devialet engineers have done something to the circuits and units from 2020. are using power more efficiently with less heat dissipation.

Anyway, does anyone know how can we tell what unit is a master and what is a slave, or any possibility to switch them ?

could you tell us the model of phantoms,ZP495 or MX207?
(16-Sep-2020, 22:56)Milan Wrote: I got 2 phantoms. One serial number starting with M44 (older unit), the other N30 (brand new unit). Although bought just 3 months apart, the serial numbers imply a production date difference of 38 weeks. I did notice that the new unit stays cool always, the older unit gets warm, never too hot.

I don't buy into the master theory at all. How much can a CPU consume compared to the amplifier?

Also, I seem to recall there was a thread here in which someone performed a whole bunch of tests with his pair of Phantoms, and it was ALWAYS the same unit that was hotter. So I agree that there must have been some improvements, or better parts bought for the recent units.

As for the master, it is very easy to find it out. Switch off one of your Phantoms electrically. If the second one keeps playing, it means the second one is the master. If it stops right away, it means the one you turned off was the master. Not sure how it works with UPNP and Spotify Connect internally, but for Bluetooth and AirPlay it should do the trick, because both Bluetooth and AirPlay connect to one device only. I think. Big Grin
(19-Sep-2020, 15:01)catsuper Wrote:

They're both MX207
(25-Sep-2020, 05:45)Milan Wrote:
(19-Sep-2020, 15:01)catsuper Wrote:

They're both MX207

it's strange. in the past, the model of classic phantom is zp496,and the gold is mx207,and now they are both mx207.
(25-Sep-2020, 10:45)catsuper Wrote:
(25-Sep-2020, 05:45)Milan Wrote:
(19-Sep-2020, 15:01)catsuper Wrote: could you tell us the model of phantoms,ZP495 or MX207?

They're both MX207

it's strange. in the past, the model of classic phantom is zp496,and the gold is mx207,and now they are both mx207.

They are golds Smile
I can pitch in here. I bought two Golds in early 2019, and one of them had an accident recently, which after I had to repair (replace it). When I received the new unit, I noted that it runs WAY cooler than my old one.. noting this, I got some power measurement up and I found out that the older Gold (L48) seems to go between 20-50W while being idle.. compared to the new one (N44) that seems to sit fixed at 10W.

I also own two classics (M16 and L11) and they seem to stay at the same temp aprox, but both running at ~20-25W when idle.

I tried to contact the Devialet support to investigate but they've not been helpful and basically just said I should not be worried "and that it's normal" and they all go through rigid testing..
I also got the explanation that one of them is running as master, but I don't think that has anything to do with this, cause I run them all in Direct Optical Mode..

My guess is the insides changed sometime, and the newer models are basically more power efficient and consistent.. That said, 30-40W when not being played on (idle) seems like a lot of power to me and I am not super happy about the situation.
My Golds from 2016 consume 20W in idle and 28-xxx W during play. This is with DOS1. Probably, with DOS2 consumption in idle is now down to 10W, which is great. I hope before Summer RAAT will be reliable on the Phantoms for me to switch to DOS2. During winter times I’m not concerned as at my place I have to heat with electricity. No difference if it’s from the Phantoms or the electric heater Smile