Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom connectivity
PLC Wireless? I thought that PLC was connecting via mains plugs? How does this work with a phantom?

I am awaiting the Dialogue hence why they are still unopened. My entire intention was to use them wirelessly, so just plugged in in each location with the dialogue streaming to them. I then intended to put a digital turntable into the optical of the dialogue and possibly an airport express optically into the back of one of the phantoms so Airplay could be used. I really don't want to start channelling new wiring as the room has been redecorated.

The lack of an ability to read the NAS at this point is disappointing, but I understand that will come soon?

There is a USB connector on the dialogue and I don't know if you can connect a NAS there?

I realise that Forums tend to highlight issues with a small number of people, but it sounds like the cracking is just being discovered and therefore quite common?

I have no question re sound, I have considered the 130 pro through my existing AE 1's but having listened side by side I preferred the Phantoms. They also seemed to work surprisingly well at low volumes, something that AE1's do not do.
My connections are similar to your intended setup. Phantoms & Dialog connect by PLC plugged to the same power outlet. Airport Express Toslink out to a phantom. Dialog and NAS are plugged by ethernet to my internet router.

PLC connection doesn't require any other means of connection (wifi/ethernet/toslink). On my setup it has proven to be the most stable, YMMV.

I am able to access files stored on my NAS by pointing Spark to the appropriate folders on my NAS, providing you are connected on the same network via wifi/ethernet.

AFAIK the dialog's USB is meant for diagnostic use currently.
Dre thanks.

I can plug the dialogue, to router to NAS all by ethernet as they are right next to each other. I didn't realise that the spark app could be directed to then NAS yet.

So the dialogue and the Phantom must double up using their mains plugs as the PLC nodes also?
Spark app will only pick up NAS when run on a PC/Mac. iPad/iPhone app won't pick up the NAS.
OK, but if I am using a NAS access APP on the iPad I should be able to send it via airport express albeit I assume I will drop down in quality?
It sounds like most Dialogue and Phantom users are just running the Dialogue wirelessly and not hooked up via ethernet?
(25-Oct-2016, 12:21)Woodman Wrote: OK, but if I am using a NAS access APP on the iPad I should be able to send it via airport express albeit I assume I will drop down in quality?

Yes - that's correct.
Just so you know: I don't think that the drops are caused by connectivity between the Dialog and the Phantoms. It feels to me like some sort of buffer underrrun on the Toslink side and I am quite sure it will be fixed with a firmware upgrade in the future. Until then I put up with it. The sound is just so freakin' awesome ;-)
2 Phantom Gold's + Dialog. Sony Bravia TV + Mopidy server (Mac Mini playing from a network connected 4bay QNAP NAS) + Minix Neo U1 + Lindy A/D convertor connected through a Lindy 4x1 Optical switch.
(25-Oct-2016, 10:55)Woodman Wrote: Dre thanks.

I can plug the dialogue, to router to NAS all by ethernet as they are right next to each other. I didn't realise that the spark app could be directed to then NAS yet.

So the dialogue and the Phantom must double up using their mains plugs as the PLC nodes also?

Yeah that's right. Phantom/dialog main plugs work as PLC so long as they are plugged into the same power network. I use a 3 into 1 mains adaptor It's been stable with less cables running around.
(26-Oct-2016, 03:47)Dre Wrote:
(25-Oct-2016, 10:55)Woodman Wrote: Dre thanks.

Yeah that's right. Phantom/dialog main plugs work as PLC so long as they are plugged into the same power network. I use a 3 into 1 mains adaptor It's been stable with less cables running around.
Ah, OK, the dealer seemed to think I needed to add power link connectors, but maybe not?