Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom elevate set up problem
Thanks. I’ll spend another evening trying to resolve! It feels like a simple fix will solve it but so many variables and then secondary impacts of any changes to consider.

Yes not a good start but the rewards are worth the effort. I have the trial period to make it work or they go back.
Thanks
In spark under Options > Devices > Phantom

you can see what connection it's using (PLC/WIFI 5 or 2.4GHz/Ethernet)
I think the problem would on a different spur not a different socket on the same spur.
Hi all
Some progress tonight. I will do a longer test run but first signs are better. It seems to run smoothly if I directly connect the music server into the router not via home plugs as I had done previously with my old system.

If I left the server in the other room and continued with homeplug link the only way to make it play smoothly is to plug both phantoms in the same double socket with the home plugs.

A socket on a different spur just would not work smoothly.

This is good news that it will work but a headache for me in terms of set up and where things are plugged in or positioned in the house.

I’ll try for a longer period and see if this really has fixed it before disturbing my set up to accommodate these.

I’ll let you know how it goes.
Thanks
Tom
(30-Nov-2017, 00:09)tsmithpam Wrote: If I left the server in the other room and continued with homeplug link the only way to make it play smoothly is to plug both phantoms in the same double socket with the home plugs.

It’s good you have had some success.

Are you plugging the Phantoms into a home plug each?

The Phantoms contain something similar to a home plug and I think I recall that there have been reports of incompatibility with some types of home plug.

Did you discover how each Phantom is connected as described by Deezel?
Hi
Thanks for reply.

No I have not plugged Phantoms into Home plugs directly. Phantom 1 shares a double socket with one that feeds the router. This provides a connection from the server in the other room. The other Phantom (2) is in another socket in the room on its own.

When I plug in the phantom 2 together with the phantom 1 in same double socket it works, but not great for room positioning.

It also works when they are split apart only if I take a direct Ethernet link from my server to the router and therefore break the reliance on a home plug link from the server to the router. Again good news but not for how I have set up the house.

I did check how both are connected in spark and they both state PLC. Is it possible to alter how one phantom is fed from the other? Could I for example get another Homeplug (if compatible) and connect the other one via Ethernet whilst leaving the other PLC? Or have one on WiFi?

I know that sounds odd but desperate not to move my server into the room. Already struggling to negotiate with my wife about the asthetics of 2 phantoms in the room!

Thanks all
I think Phantoms do network tests before settling on a preferred communication. The obvious choice in a difficult environment is ethernet cable to all devices involved (Dialog, Phantoms, server, router etc to the same switch). A strong and reliable wifi network will also be preferred over PLC, but as there is built-in PLC in both Dialog and Phantoms, connecting all three to the same outlet and only Dialog to ethernet should also work.
It may work with a separate Homeplug for your server, but remember that the Devialet PLC and Homeplug PLC may disturb each other so should at least be on separate circuits. Ideally a filter should sit between the two power domains...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(29-Nov-2017, 13:45)Deezel Wrote: Have had kind of the same issue, which usually happens after I have powered on my golds after being away for days. Then it takes a while for them to settle in again and decide how to communicate. Dunno if this is your problem but it usually settles down for me after a few hours (!!) and works fine after that.

There are threads about how the connections between dialog and phantoms might affect audio.

Hi Deezel,

Thanks to replies the other week to my post about set up issues I was having. 

Having now separated the Dialog power connection from my homeplug sockets it has improved considerably from where i was. I still however have a persistent issue, which having re-read your previous posts sounds very similar to something you described.....

One phantom will randomly cut out for a split second and then come back in. It can happen at anytime, but is only for a short time and doesn't stick or crackle, just drops from one phantom for a moment. It seems to be just when playing from server rather than streaming, but cant be 100% as rarely stream. 

Whilst not a major issue it still disrupts the enjoyment of listening. 

I wondered if you found a way to solve this at all or if it just went over time once you settled it in fr a while?

I have he following set up now which seems to work the best so far:

Both Phantoms connected by ethernet to homeplug (left) or direct to router (right)

Dialog Ethernet to router.

Optical connection to Right phantom, not to the dialog now which links my server player to the system. 

I control via ipad / iphone on the ipeng app. 

Your thoughts or anyone else welcome........ very keen to get a smooth and consistent play back! 

thanks
Tom
Personally I ditched the PLC connection (never tried with separate homeplug as it's already built in). My set up is like this:

TV opt out -> Left Phantom. Phantoms over 5GHz wifi. Dialog to router. I very rarely get a cut out (~two - three a month with daily usage). I did however had issues with PLC, hence I ditched it. It also seems that the first thing the phantom tries after a power cycle is - PLC. I stream mostly from Spotify, but also my private library from either mobile or computer.

Have you tried without the extra homeplug and just use the built in? (ie. just remove the homeplugs and ethernet cables). Same issue?

I might be slow in responding now, going on vacation for a couple of weeks. Good luck and I hope you get it sorted =)
Hi all
What seems to be working best is when I have the dialog and 2x phantoms plugged into the same power strip. They go to PLC and seem to limit the drop outs. Can’t configure my room set up very easily however!

I have now tried WiFi, Ethernet and PLC and the PLC for me is the most stable.

What seems really odd is you can’t select what source function you wish to use? It just decides for you. So it could split between plc or WiFi depending on where I plug it in. This seems to cause messaging issues between my phantoms unless I plug them all together.

Have I missed something?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk