Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom gold vs silver
Any one?
Had 2 auditions, about 40 minutes each, in HK and Singapore where Devialet set up a dedicated soundproof glass room in shopping malls to listen to the Phantoms. We played several songs switching between Gold and Silver for comparison, from my iPhone through Bluetooth and Devialet's own music profile which they said it's from iTunes. We also played some movie trailers.

Below is my personal opinion after listening both set up in similar room conditions:
Gold's high range is clearer and brighter while silver has much firmer, stronger bass. At first I thought it was the placement of the speakers because Singapore had Silver in the middle of main stage and Gold at the corner with diagonal facing to the seats. However, the result was the same in HK where Gold was in the middle and silver at the corner. Of course, both of them are excellent and very capable, you won't be disappointed. I would go for silver if I am more into hip hop, dancing type of music and gold if I listen to classical and singing.
I find the bass so strong on my 2 golds i can't imagine silvers being stronger !
Silver was supposed to lack a bit of air on top - maybe Gold has addressed that?
Maybe the Silvers had been run in and the Golds not so.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
Good morning,

2 days ago I got my 2 ghosts gold, and could have more than 1 month silvers, and gold are all higher than silver. On the issue of the low as comets it is not that I have less low if not acute is far more impressive than the silvers and thus outshines bass, if we could do the test to lower the volume or treble you would realize that is superior, as in the silvers volume was now 70 and 55.

Soon will post photos.
Here another review from someone who has both, using the golds and the silvers in stereo setup:

The Golds still sound pretty different than the silvers . Still have no favorite, which is more than fine.

The highs of the Golds are significantly softer, even somewhat restrained, so I sometimes miss the openness of the Silvers ....

The bass of the Golds is powerful and indeed goes deeper ... and harder.

Overall, the Golds are I think a slightly better product , but fortunately not so much that current silver users should be concerned . Is really a matter of taste . 
Good to here. I think I will keep my Silvers and wait for at bigger upgrade in the future, when Devialet comes with something better than the new Golds.
2 x Devialet Phantom Gold / Branch + Dialog
Pioneer KRP-600M 60" Plasma Tv
(29-Aug-2016, 12:36)mixart Wrote: Good to here. I think I will keep my Silvers and wait for at bigger upgrade in the future, when Devialet comes with something better than the new Golds.

The question is if they can make something better at the right price point - it took Devialet 600 dollars more to include more wattage and a titanium tweeter for an improvement over the Silvers. If the Phantoms continue to climb in price, the aura of being such a high-value system for so much less begins to disappear no?
Well, it depends on how much improvement the extra cost brings. If it exceeds a $100K system at $10K, one can still argue easily that is a high value system. Just an example... I still think eventually they will get to a beryllium tweeter.