Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom remote problem!!!
(31-Mar-2020, 16:16)eladeb Wrote: In the preset 2.9.0 firmware
Its pretty stable....

Go for it!!!
If I go for it there is no return.
I want to make sure the BT incl. the remote is disabled.
If you have a Reactor and you disable BT on the top it's still possible to use the remote.
I haven't found any screenshot about the new DOS2. Maybe I'll visit the shop to have a look.
Not sure if you have seen this on the Devialet site, but it is DOS2 relevant - might be useful information though its not specifically about the remote.

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...with-DOS2-

Kantblue
(01-Apr-2020, 10:56)kantblue Wrote: Not sure if you have seen this on the Devialet site, but it is DOS2 relevant - might be useful information though its not specifically about the remote.

https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...with-DOS2-

Kantblue
Thanks for the link. 
Seems like the 1st version of Spark, but the remote is still BT and open.
Using any kind of BT is a risk.
Hi Rudolph - I'm not a fan of any kind of bluetooth myself - more because of its unreliability. Bearing in mind the ability of the phantoms to get to ear-shattering volume I don't like the 'unsecured' bluetooth at all.

In the interests of science (and because like mostly I'm at home) I can confirm.

1. I open the Devialet (DOS2) app
2. Selected Bluetooth as my Phantom input device - got a message saying that the connection would be available for 2 minutes
3. Can see and connect to the Phantoms via bluetooth - no password required. I didn't play any music and didn't connect.
4. After two minutes Phantoms vanish from list of available devices.

After two minutes I cannot see any Phantom or remote control (not that I ever did see the remote control).

Then I tried the following:

2. Selected Bluetooth as my Phantom input device - got a message saying that the connection would be available for 2 minutes
3. Can see and connect to the Phantoms via bluetooth - no password required. THIS TIME I DID CONNECT and PLAY MUSIC
4. I turned my phone off and restarted it, I can still connect and play to the Phantoms
5. I turned the Phantoms OFF completely and back on, I can still connect via bluetooth

The only way I could get my phone to not see the Phantoms via bluetooth was to 'Forget this device' on my phone.

My conclusion is that even in DOS2 bluetooth is always enabled on the Phantom's but is somehow hidden - maybe in the same way that you can hide a WIFI SSID (not considered a 'proper' way to secure WIFI). I'm by no means a bluetooth expert.

A quick google search has revealed a number of ways to scan for hidden bluetooth devices which is slightly worrying - though in these days I think we have more important things to worry about!

I might try to see if one of these scanners can see and connect to my Phantoms out of curiosity.
(EDITED ADDITION) - I have tried this and I can use a Microsoft's Bluetooth LE Explorer to scan for hidden devices - it finds the phantom speakers and the remote and I can pair to the speakers but not the remote some of the time, but not always. This was a surprise to me and it does look as if the only 'security' is the hiding of the device name. I would be happier if Bluetooth could be password protected as it can with Airplay, but I'm not sure this could be made to work with the remote as it doesn't have any kind of screen or way to configure it via IP webpage.

I'm assuming the remote also connects via Bluetooth - possibly with its own DEVICE NAME connection to the Phantom - not sure about this all - I only got the remote after an alarming (non-bluetooth) related 100% increase in volume so I wanted a quick (less panicky) way to turn the volume down - can't say I'm impressed £149 for a volume control - come on Devialet!)

Not sure any of this helps you but it might.

kantblue
(02-Apr-2020, 11:43)kantblue Wrote: Hi Rudolph - I'm not a fan of any kind of bluetooth myself - more because of its unreliability. Bearing in mind the ability of the phantoms to get to ear-shattering volume I don't like the 'unsecured' bluetooth at all.

In the interests of science (and because like mostly I'm at home) I can confirm.

3. Can see and connect to the Phantoms via bluetooth - no password required. I didn't play any music and didn't connect.
4. After two minutes Phantoms vanish from list of available devices.

After two minutes I cannot see any Phantom or remote control (not that I ever did see the remote control).

Then I tried the following:

3. Can see and connect to the Phantoms via bluetooth - no password required. THIS TIME I DID CONNECT and PLAY MUSIC
4. I turned my phone off and restarted it, I can still connect and play to the Phantoms
5. I turned the Phantoms OFF completely and back on, I can still connect via bluetooth

The only way I could get my phone to not see the Phantoms via bluetooth was to 'Forget this device' on my phone.

My conclusion is that even in DOS2 bluetooth is always enabled on the Phantom's but is somehow hidden - maybe in the same way that you can hide a WIFI SSID (not considered a 'proper' way to secure WIFI). I'm by no means a bluetooth expert.

A quick google search has revealed a number of ways to scan for hidden bluetooth devices which is slightly worrying - though in these days I think we have more important things to worry about!

I might try to see if one of these scanners can see and connect to my Phantoms out of curiosity.
(EDITED ADDITION) - I have tried this and I can use a Microsoft's Bluetooth LE Explorer to scan for hidden devices - it finds the phantom speakers and the remote and I can pair to the speakers but not the remote some of the time, but not always. This was a surprise to me and it does look as if the only 'security' is the hiding of the device name. I would be happier if Bluetooth could be password protected as it can with Airplay, but I'm not sure this could be made to work with the remote as it doesn't have any kind of screen or way to configure it via IP webpage.

I'm assuming the remote also connects via Bluetooth - possibly with its own DEVICE NAME connection to the Phantom - not sure about this all - I only got the remote after an alarming (non-bluetooth) related 100% increase in volume so I wanted a quick (less panicky) way to turn the volume down - can't say I'm impressed £149 for a volume control - come on Devialet!)

Not sure any of this helps you but it might.

kantblue
Thanks for your test, I'm sure it can be used by other Phantom owners.
As you mentioned there are software which can find BT devices. Using BT is a open door for hackers.
Do you know your neighbours? You can hack BT an jam 150m away.
I'm not sure how the remote is connected to BT, maybe the same way as a Bose speaker.
BTW I haven't bought the speaker to used with BT.
I bought it because it was possible to use it as a stand alone unit for Radio stations and it works.
It's now also possible to use it with UPNP and I can recommend to use the Windows Media Player 12 for your local files. It's using WASAPI and sounds great.
Security has a high priority and Spark can shutdown BT if you know how to do it.
Again thanks for your reply - very useful.