Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantoms delivered this afternoon
Hi Guys,

Lets work through these problems one by one shall we?

Mine are working fine, but I did have my problems so I may be able to help.

So lets start at the beginning.

Yes, I have a Dialog and it configured the two speakers.

The warbling sound will happen until the speakers are set up.

First thing, make sure you have your Dialog connected to your switch and plugged in.

Next make sure the Phantoms are switched on.

Next, VERY IMPORTANT. THIS GOT ME. Make sure your iPad, phone or whatever is connected to the SAME network via wireless. If you don't, the first part of the set up will not get pass the screen where it says 'Do you have a Dialog....etc"

Do that, and then we'll go on from there.
(07-Mar-2015, 21:13)stonedragon Wrote: Hi Guys,

Lets work through these problems one by one shall we?

Mine are working fine, but I did have my problems so I may be able to help.

So lets start at the beginning.

Yes, I have a Dialog and it configured the two speakers.

The warbling sound will happen until the speakers are set up.

First thing, make sure you have your Dialog connected to your switch and plugged in.

Next make sure the Phantoms are switched on.

Next, VERY IMPORTANT. THIS GOT ME. Make sure your iPad, phone or whatever is connected to the SAME network via wireless. If you don't, the first part of the set up will not get pass the screen where it says 'Do you have a Dialog....etc"

Do that, and then we'll go on from there.

I did all that yesterday and got poor, intermittent sound from one of the speakers and OK from the other. I re-did the setup and it sounded fine for about 20 minutes to half an hour. Then Spark started re-booting itself, I think because it was trying to play a long high res track, maybe too big for it? My Dialog smells hot, maybe it overheats after a while and malfunctions.
Then I tried playing from a different computer. Spark looked like it was fine, found 2 Phantoms in the living room, but only one of them played.
Today I tried again and it worked fine for a while, but long enough to play a whole CD.
I tried a reset and new setup and then I had all sorts of problems with Spark hanging at one of 2 places, either during "setting up your Phantoms this may take 1 to 2 minutes", or earlier not getting past accepting conditions.

A single unit in mono sets up fine and works OK.
Everything is on the same network and generally the Phantoms both get found OK but then it stops.

I think you will find if the computer or whathaveyou isn't on the same network none of this could happen.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

My initial problem with reconfiguring the phantoms was that starting up Spark again would not let you get past the "I Accept" screen. That is solved by unplugging the Dialog...and then plugging it back again. Turning on the Phantoms and waiting for the noise. Then Spark lets you get by the "I Accept" page. From there everything seems to go OK...."You have 2 Phantoms"? Yes.....touch 1of2......touch 2of2. Now configuring....everything seems to be OK, (tells you this should last a minute or two [which it did on the initial setup that worked]). Consistently there is a silence that arises about 1.5 to 2 minutes into these subsequent configurations that makes you feel like something has gone right, but the drone noise just starts up again and it continues to say its configuring. I've waited up to 10 minutes listening to this loud drone while the Phantoms tell me they're configuring. (Did Devialet not experience or anticipate this agonising drone noise attack for customers who might have problems with installation and setup!?, What a headache!!)

I've removed and reinstalled Spark over 5 times, unplugged and plugged in the Dialog and Phantoms as many times or more. I think this is a software bug/malfunction, not a procedural problem. I just don't think Spark is ready for paying customers. I'd return them if I'd purchased these locally.
(07-Mar-2015, 21:38)DSJ Wrote: My initial problem with reconfiguring the phantoms was that starting up Spark again would not let you get past the "I Accept" screen. That is solved by unplugging the Dialog...and then plugging it back again. Turning on the Phantoms and waiting for the noise. Then Spark lets you get by the "I Accept" page. From there everything seems to go OK...."You have 2 Phantoms"? Yes.....touch 1of2......touch 2of2. Now configuring....everything seems to be OK, (tells you this should last a minute or two [which it did on the initial setup that worked]). Consistently there is a silence that arises about 1.5 to 2 minutes into these subsequent configurations that makes you feel like something has gone right, but the drone noise just starts up again and it continues to say its configuring. I've waited up to 10 minutes listening to this loud drone while the Phantoms tell me they're configuring. (Did Devialet not experience or anticipate this agonising drone noise attack for customers who might have problems with installation and setup!?, What a headache!!)

I've removed and reinstalled Spark over 5 times, unplugged and plugged in the Dialog and Phantoms as many or more. I think this is a software bug/malfunction, not a procedural one. I just don't think Spark is ready for paying customers. I'd return them if I'd purchased these locally.

This is more or less exactly what I have experienced. Since Spark works with a single Phantom and I didn't have problems for as long as I listened, I suspect the problem is the Dialog, either hardware overheating or related software.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(07-Mar-2015, 22:10)f1eng Wrote: Hi yes similar problems, decided to use AirPlay , bought a new NAS and new optical cord then remembered I have a meridian explorer Dac that has optical out.
came home hooked Dac to MacBook Pro to meridian optical out into phantom.
sounds glorious compared to airplay from Apple TV.
having fun now, set up the NAS with backed up files, playing all files up to 192 KHz through  jriver
Everything sounded great so I took the step of loading spark onto MacBook , unhooked optical and just streamed from MacBook to phantom also to my surprise up to 192khz.
however there is sometimes a stutter then it picks up again. No problem at all with 96 KHz 
best part is it sounds just as good through spark as direct optical and jriver.
yes the software is not mature and takes patience and laughably no instructions anywhere.
i concur failing all unplug phantoms and dialog let them sit a few minutes, make sure you are all on same network.
they are really singing now, previous system goldmund amp to quad esls,s from MacBook into Ifi DSL nano. I miss the expansive sound of the quads but gain on the very rich bass from phantoms, I will give them a good burning in and see if it smooths out more.
i think once past the software nightmare you will all be very happy

(07-Mar-2015, 21:38)DSJ Wrote: My initial problem with reconfiguring the phantoms was that starting up Spark again would not let you get past the "I Accept" screen. That is solved by unplugging the Dialog...and then plugging it back again. Turning on the Phantoms and waiting for the noise. Then Spark lets you get by the "I Accept" page. From there everything seems to go OK...."You have 2 Phantoms"? Yes.....touch 1of2......touch 2of2. Now configuring....everything seems to be OK, (tells you this should last a minute or two [which it did on the initial setup that worked]). Consistently there is a silence that arises about 1.5 to 2 minutes into these subsequent configurations that makes you feel like something has gone right, but the drone noise just starts up again and it continues to say its configuring. I've waited up to 10 minutes listening to this loud drone while the Phantoms tell me they're configuring. (Did Devialet not experience or anticipate this agonising drone noise attack for customers who might have problems with installation and setup!?, What a headache!!)

I've removed and reinstalled Spark over 5 times, unplugged and plugged in the Dialog and Phantoms as many or more. I think this is a software bug/malfunction, not a procedural one. I just don't think Spark is ready for paying customers. I'd return them if I'd purchased these locally.

This is more or less exactly what I have experienced. Since Spark works with a single Phantom and I didn't have problems for as long as I listened, I suspect the problem is the Dialog, either hardware overheating or related software.
There seems to be something odd in the formatting since davidadamson has typed something into the top of "my" box so it looks like it is from me!

I did not write the bit beginning "Hi yes similar..." to "...you will all be very happy"

I did write the bit at the bottom of the box from "This is more..." to "related software"
Oxfordshire

I've removed and reinstalled Spark over 5 times, unplugged and plugged in the Dialog and Phantoms as many times or more. I think this is a software bug/malfunction, not a procedural problem. I just don't think Spark is ready for paying customers. I'd return them if I'd purchased these locally.

Yes this is about the same procedure I followed, except there is one other thing people can try.

If SPARK is saying picking up one speaker and you are actually in the app, try this.

From the HOME page swipe to the left.
This will take you to the page where the songs are queued up.
Swipe to the left again.
This will take you to the page 'Playing on'
In the top left corner there is a icon of a large cog. Press that.
This will take you to the 'Devices' page
At the bottom of this page there is an option 'Restart setup'
Hit that button, which will wipe all your settings and allow a fresh setup.

At this stage I would follow the advice of DSJ that was given above (unplug Dialog before continuing etc).

But I think DSJ is correct about the software. This is beta and not fit for commercial release. That said I've got mine working and I'm loving it to bits. Just watched 'Thor' on it. Amazing bass and general sound. I honestly do not miss having a dedicated sub woofer as per my old system.
(07-Mar-2015, 23:13)stonedragon Wrote:

Yes this is about the same procedure I followed, except there is one other thing people can try.

If SPARK is saying picking up one speaker and you are actually in the app, try this.

From the HOME page swipe to the left.
This will take you to the page where the songs are queued up.
Swipe to the left again.
This will take you to the page 'Playing on'
In the top left corner there is a icon of a large cog. Press that.
This will take you to the 'Devices' page
At the bottom of this page there is an option 'Restart setup'
Hit that button, which will wipe all your settings and allow a fresh setup.

At this stage I would follow the advice of DSJ that was given above (unplug Dialog before continuing etc).

But I think DSJ is correct about the software. This is beta and not fit for commercial release. That said I've got mine working and I'm loving it to bits. Just watched 'Thor' on it. Amazing bass and general sound. I honestly do not miss having a dedicated sub woofer as per my old system.

Sound wise, things seem very promising.

Would you please elaborate on the setup used to 'watch' Thor?
Previous L+R replaced with Phantoms in a 5.1 setup? Or just the Phantoms?
OMG listening to contact note by Jon Hopkins ....incredible demo for the phantoms!
One question in regards to the stands. Do you think they'll remain steady when the bass hits? Can you somehow bind the speaker and stand or it simply lies on the stand?