Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantoms delivered this afternoon
Good thinking!  The description of the Phantom, which made a big deal about redundant network paths, does hint that it might be prone to STP-related problems.  Maybe using two Phantoms introduces the possibility of a loop between pairs of network interfaces?
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Maybe this helps for those that have difficulties to setup the Phantom with Dialog: Devialet support wrote me today that you can do a hard reset of both the Dialog as well as the Phantoms by pressing the hw button 3 times very short one after another. I could reset them over the weekend with trial and error after I pressed 5 times short. Now I have at least confirmation that three times pressing the "power button" is sufficient.
So reset the Phantoms and Dialog first before you try to configure them differently, e.g. from Mono setup to Stereo setup.
After this hw reset follow the instructions according the online manual. For me this solved some of the problems. I still suffer some issues with the PLC network I guess that conflicts with my own one.
(09-Mar-2015, 08:51)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(08-Mar-2015, 19:24)f1eng Wrote: With the Dialog and stereo the intermittent sound on one channel always happens at the beginning of each track, and monitoring wifi data transfer coincides with the track being initially (presumably) sent to the Dialog.
The music still sometimes stops mid track, and Spark is in pause mode but does not re-start where it left off.

This sounds like a network problem to me, in particular the stopping mid-track and going into pause mode. Maybe there are problems with buffering.

It seems like a network problem to me too, I have reported the details to support.
Having said that the network has been working fine with wireless AIR in high def on the 800 for a couple of years or more.
I wait with interest for diagnosis or a suggestion of more tests from support.

The sound quality is very, very good for the money. The biggest shortcoming for me at the moment is that Devialet support have confirmed that the optical input on the Dialog is not yet enabled, so presumably stereo is not an option with CD. We already know USB isn't implemented so integration with my main system isn't possible either, so I am stuck with streaming which is my least favourite source.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Support have confirmed that the issues I raised are related to the current version of Spark.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

It's true that the optical input does not work on Dialog, but it works in the Phantoms. You can have the Phantoms set-up in stereo configuration with Dialog and then feed in to one of the Phanoms the signal from your streamer into the optical input of one Phantom. When you select then in Spark this optical input (double click to add it into the playlist) then the Phantoms play the optical signal in stereo without problems and in high quality. I assume the digital optical signal gets streamed by phantom to dialog and then from there played on your selection of Phantoms, multi-room, stereo, or mono as you have configured your system. It works great without drop-outs. Hi-res music although is not working since toslink is only up to 48k.
(09-Mar-2015, 13:37)f1eng Wrote: Support have confirmed that the issues I raised are related to the current version of Spark.

Yes I received a reply, saying support was aware of the problem and it would be addressed in next software release.
It would be supportive if Devialet had this information posted on the website to reassure all buyers.
(09-Mar-2015, 14:37)streamy Wrote: although is not working since toslink is only up to 48k.

Is that the spec of the Phantom optical input?
The D-Premier optical input worked up to 24/192 but this was downgraded to 24/96 for the new models. I would be surprised if the Phantom had an optical input with lower than 24/96 but haven't seen it specified anywhere.
Oxfordshire

(09-Mar-2015, 13:29)f1eng Wrote:
(09-Mar-2015, 08:51)Jwg1749 Wrote:
(08-Mar-2015, 19:24)f1eng Wrote: With the Dialog and stereo the intermittent sound on one channel always happens at the beginning of each track, and monitoring wifi data transfer coincides with the track being initially (presumably) sent to the Dialog.
The music still sometimes stops mid track, and Spark is in pause mode but does not re-start where it left off.

This sounds like a network problem to me, in particular the stopping mid-track and going into pause mode. Maybe there are problems with buffering.

It seems like a network problem to me too, I have reported the details to support.
Having said that the network has been working fine with wireless AIR in high def on the 800 for a couple of years or more.
I wait with interest for diagnosis or a suggestion of more tests from support.

The sound quality is very, very good for the money. The biggest shortcoming for me at the moment is that Devialet support have confirmed that the optical input on the Dialog is not yet enabled, so presumably stereo is not an option with CD. We already know USB isn't implemented so integration with my main system isn't possible either, so I am stuck with streaming which is my least favourite source.

Hello You can go from your CD directly to the Phantom via Optical - it works very well
(09-Mar-2015, 14:37)streamy Wrote: It's true that the optical input does not work on Dialog, but it works in the Phantoms. You can have the Phantoms set-up in stereo configuration with Dialog and then feed in to one of the Phanoms the signal from your streamer into the optical input of one Phantom. When you select then in Spark this optical input (double click to add it into the playlist) then the Phantoms play the optical signal in stereo without problems and in high quality. I assume the digital optical signal gets streamed by phantom to dialog and then from there played on your selection of Phantoms, multi-room, stereo, or mono as you have configured your system. It works great without drop-outs. Hi-res music although is not working since toslink is only up to 48k.

I have been able to play files up to 24 bit 192khz through the optical connection, Macbook pro, Spark to Meridian Explorer to Phantom
Explorer confirms bit rate - 24 /192 is pushing it sometimes stalls, however, I think this is Spark/dialog issue so there is hope
(08-Mar-2015, 21:23)mirekti Wrote:
(08-Mar-2015, 18:24)f1eng Wrote: This is why there are two opposing bass units.
Newton's 2nd law, when the bass hits all the forces are internal, there being a zero net force on the stand.
These are exceptionally cleverly conceived and designed speakers, addressing almost every shortcoming suffered by conventional loudspeakers. 
In addition to the bass solution, the cabinet is small stiff and inert, so not only is the radiating area smaller but cabinet vibration and hence spurious cabinet talk is the least I have ever experienced. Even less than the well behaved KRF LS50 which is already excellent compared to big speakers. The mid treble is coaxial in a spherical front so minimal diffraction effects.

Overall an outstanding concept IMHO.

Thanks for the explanation. It does sound promising. What about the mid range and highs? I noticed diamante, beryllium and ribbon are what most of the top class speakers use as tweeters?
Can Devialet compete against those tweeters?
I am listening to Phantom for 2 weeks now, and to answer your question about mids and treble I would say that treble is the weak part for me. I find it quite ordinary, and short. Cymbals or chimes disappear quickly. Can't be compared to Be ( I have TADs ), neither to Focal inverted dome.
Compared to the marvel they do in the bass it is a shame because good tweeters is far easier imo.
For now I've been using the optical input since for me Spark is just a mess