Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phono stage loading
Hi all. 

I've checked with Devialet support and they have confirmed the phono stage loading on the Expert 120-140 Pro is 47K Ohms in the MC or MM setting. Most low output MC's recommend much lower loading around 100 - 470 Ohms. A big part of the appeal of the Expert Pro line is minimizing box and cable count, so I'm resistant to adding an SUT or phono pre, especially since the Dev gain settings will handle MC cart output as low as .1mV.

So my question: Does anyone have experience with parallel load resistors on the Devialet? Using the Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC and Zephyr MK III as examples, I could use a .4mV/470 Ohm MIMC with 500 Ohm resistors in parallel, or a 2.4 mV MK III at 47K Ohms. 

I'm specifically referencing the Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC and Zephyr MK III, but welcome loading advice on any cartridges with the Expert 140 Pro.

Thanks,
Mont Blanc
Hello @Mont Blanc, welcome to DC!

The Configurator allows you to select a resistive loading on the phono input from a set of pre-defined values in the range 10Ω to 460Ω, so it shouldn't be necessary to add external loading resistors (if that's what you had in mind, not quite sure from your post).
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
Thumb5,
Thanks, but my 140 doesn’t have adjustable loading or capacitance, only adjustable gain. The 220 and up, like your 440, have the advanced phono stage with those additional adjustments. The gain on my Dev will handle a low output MC so I don’t need an SUT or external phono stage so I’m looking for ways to adjust the loading externally.
(28-Nov-2018, 06:55)Mont Blanc Wrote: Thumb5,
Thanks, but my 140 doesn’t have adjustable loading or capacitance, only adjustable gain. The 220 and up, like your 440, have the advanced phono stage with those additional adjustments.  The gain on my Dev will handle a low output MC so I don’t need an SUT or external phono stage so I’m looking for ways to adjust the loading externally.

I have a 120 and you can adjust the loading.
It isn't done via the Configurator, you need to scroll through the menu on the devialet itself and you can adjust it there.

I assume the 140 would be the same
Thanks, but my 140 doesn’t have adjustable loading or capacitance, only adjustable gain. The 220 and up, like your 440, have the advanced phono stage with those additional adjustments.  The gain on my Dev will handle a low output MC so I don’t need an SUT or external phono stage so I’m looking for ways to adjust the loading externally.

My apologies: I'd got it into my head that all the models had the same phono stage these days.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(28-Nov-2018, 08:49)thumb5 Wrote:

My apologies: I'd got it into my head that all the models had the same phono stage these days.

The phono stages may be different but as I mentioned in my post, you can adjust the load on the 120 (so it should be adjustable on the 140)
(28-Nov-2018, 09:30)whatmore Wrote:
(28-Nov-2018, 08:49)thumb5 Wrote:

The phono stages may be different but as I mentioned in my post, you can adjust the load on the 120 (so it should be adjustable on the 140)
Thanks for the advice! I was only looking at the configurator. I'll check through the menu on the 140 and report back.
(30-Nov-2018, 00:51)Mont Blanc Wrote:
(28-Nov-2018, 09:30)whatmore Wrote:
(28-Nov-2018, 08:49)thumb5 Wrote: My apologies: I'd got it into my head that all the models had the same phono stage these days.

Thanks for the advice! I was only looking at the configurator. I'll check through the menu on the 140 and report back.

whatmore,
Thanks for your replies. I checked the menu and don't see a way to adjust the loading, only stereo/mono, EQ curve and gain, see attached photo. Can you tell me how you accessed the menu with gain settings? I have the latest firmware that updated the unit from 130 to 140.
I've looked at Configurator for the various models. It does seem like Devialet has removed loading from the phono configuration of 120/140/210. It is there on 200/220 and up. All models have the gain setting.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(30-Nov-2018, 21:22)GMont Blanc Wrote:
(30-Nov-2018, 00:51)Mont Blanc Wrote:
(28-Nov-2018, 09:30)whatmore Wrote: The phono stages may be different but as I mentioned in my post, you can adjust the load on the 120 (so it should be adjustable on the 140)

whatmore,
Thanks for your replies. I checked the menu and don't see a way to adjust the loading, only stereo/mono, EQ curve and gain, see attached photo. Can you tell me how you accessed the menu with gain settings? I have the latest firmware that updated the unit from 130 to 140.

Hi Mont Blanc, 
I can’t see any photo in your post. 

This is what I get though....
I get there as follows 

Set source to phono > hit tone control to cycle though menu (first is balance, then bass, then treble and then the screenshot I attached)