Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Possible new competitor to the 800?
This new integrated amplifier from Gryphon has caught my interest. 

http://www.gryphon-audio.dk/products/int...o-300.aspx

I particularly like the power rating in a single chassis architecture: 300W x 2 into 8 Ohms, 600W x 2 into 6 Ohms and a massive 950W x 2 into 2 Ohms! With a capacitor bank of 64,000 microfarads per channel it shouldn't have too much trouble driving pretty much any speakers out there.

The price point is interesting: €12,800 for the basic integrated amplifier and €4,800 for the DAC module which is supposedly based on their Kalliope DAC design, with support for PCM up to 32/384 and DSD x2 via USB and PCM 24/192 via AES, optical or RCA. There is also an MM/MC phono stage which sells for €4,800. If you just went for the DAC that would make it quite a bit cheaper than the 800 which retails at €22,900. 

Given Gryphon's high-end audiophile pedigree my guess is that this will sound very good indeed and should be worth a listen. The specs certainly look very good.

I understand the first two production runs have completely sold out and the first units are shipping in September.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Nice find G

Specs and pedigree look very nice, and relatively affordable. Class D free, high bias class A/B amplification and ladder resistor volume control make it very intriguing.
I'd love to audition one with the DAC module.

The Gryphons I've heard always managed to impress me in show conditions.

Kerry
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
Certainly a lot to like even tho I suspect its more likely 600W@ 4 Ohms rather than 6 Ohms. Reminds me a bit of my old ML 383 minus knobs and a touch over-square but I bet its sounds incredible!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
(18-Aug-2015, 15:55)Manoet Wrote: I suspect its more likely 600W@ 4 Ohms rather than 6 Ohms. 

Correct - my mistake. 

Guillaume

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
It turns out the prices I quoted for the Diablo 300 do not include VAT, so I guess that brings it quite close to the 800 price. 

Guillaume

UK
Minus the digital interconnect and a second power cord, if you are into spending for these... 

It is less of a lifestyle product though, with huge size and considerable amount of heat (reported on the original Diablo)

But looks quite interesting Smile

Cheers

Kunter
Kii Three, dCS Network Bridge, Roon Nucleus, Kuzma (Stabi S, 4Point), Soundsmith StrainGauge, Stromtank, Echole Cables 
Istanbul, Turkey
But is the grass grener on the other side?

In this review Jeff Fritz compares the D400 to other amps he has tested in his system with Magico Q7 speakers.

http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php...ifier-dacs

[url=http://www.soundstageultra.com/index.php/equipment-menu/528-devialet-400-mono-integrated-amplifier-dacs][/url]
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

It is a while since I last auditioned a Gryphon amplifier. I found it a touch polite and a bit flat sounding and not very dynamic.
Dynamics and transparency are the 2 most important characteristics for me personally so it was a no go.
It was very nicely made for the price and looked great.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(18-Aug-2015, 14:07)GuillaumeB Wrote: This new integrated amplifier from Gryphon has caught my interest. 

http://www.gryphon-audio.dk/products/int...o-300.aspx

I particularly like the power rating in a single chassis architecture: 300W x 2 into 8 Ohms, 600W x 2 into 6 Ohms and a massive 950W x 2 into 2 Ohms! With a capacitor bank of 64,000 microfarads per channel it shouldn't have too much trouble driving pretty much any speakers out there.

The price point is interesting: €12,800 for the basic integrated amplifier and €4,800 for the DAC module which is supposedly based on their Kalliope DAC design, with support for PCM up to 32/384 and DSD x2 via USB and PCM 24/192 via AES, optical or RCA. There is also an MM/MC phono stage which sells for €4,800. If you just went for the DAC that would make it quite a bit cheaper than the 800 which retails at €22,900. 

Given Gryphon's high-end audiophile pedigree my guess is that this will sound very good indeed and should be worth a listen. The specs certainly look very good.

I understand the first two production runs have completely sold out and the first units are shipping in September.

Guillaume

Getting itchy feet  Tongue.

But if you also factor in the MM/MC stage as well as the DAC (both of which are already included the 800 x 2, if you use both Master and Companion inputs) and factor in VAT, then the Gryphon is a lot more expensive Confused.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
I can't do 84 pounds.