Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Power conditionners
Hi team,

Living in central Tokyo I have reasonnably clean Power but my current P10 was still a major improvement when I added to my system 6 or 7 years ago. I am considering finding him a successor at some point.

I was wondering whether someone had compared the PS Audio P20 to the Shunyata Research Denali 6000/S V2?

I understand of course that they are 2 very different beasts, but their objective is the same, which is to bring the best possible AC current into our amps, etc...

Thank you.

Regards,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
I haven't been able to do a comparison between the PS Audio Power Plants and the Denali because the Denali has never been released in Australia.

I am going to ask you a question, however. Why are you thinking of the P20 as a possible replacement for your P10? I think you'll find that there's a screen available on the P10 which tells you how much power it is outputting. I know there was on the P5 I borrowed for a home demo before ordering my P12 and I was very surprised at how little power my 140 Pro was drawing. If your P10 is powering your system with a fair bit of reserve power available then I would suspect the P15 would give you an upgrade with all the power you need and that all you'd get from the P20 over and above what the P15 delivers would be even more power in reserve which will never be used.

I'd be more inclined to compare the P15 to the Denali as a possible successor.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Hi David,

Thanks for your answer.

It's a fair point. Honestly speaking, the thinking at this stage is to go with the best and be done with it for another 10 years or so.

But you are correct that minimizing the cost remains obviously a concern.

I was under the impression that the P20 would bring cleaner power even with loads below its capabilities, but you are right that the difference with the P15 may not be audible.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
Hi, it is apparently the right time to buy PS Power devices! In Germany there is up to 25% discount depending on the device !! Example: PP 15 / 9700€ now 6900€ new devices !!
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(18-May-2020, 09:56)K4680 Wrote: Hi, it is apparently the right time to buy PS Power devices!  In Germany there is up to 25% discount depending on the device !!  Example: PP 15  / 9700€ now 6900€ new devices !!

For example, what is the current discounted price of PS Audio P12?
Stereo Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS/Internet sources>> Supra CAT8 >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4(Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >> Mercury Streamer (GentooPlayer, MPD+UpMpdCli  running on RAM) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  Mogami Gold AES XLR >> Devialet 220 Pro >> Echole Omnia Speaker/Jumper Cables >> B&W 804D3 Speakers on IsoAcoustics GAIA-II

Headphone Setup: Synology DS214Play NAS(CAT8) >> Ubiquiti Edge10X Switch>> Fiberoptical Cable >> SOTM SNH-10G Switch(S-Booster LPS) >> Supra CAT8 >> Euphony v4( Stylus with Qobuz, Tidal) running on RAM >> SOTM SNH-10G >> Supra CAT8 >>  Mercury Streamer(GentooPlayer , Mpd/UpMpdCli ) + Fiio PL50 LPS >>  RCA Coax >> Chord Hugo >> Fostex TH900 MK2
(18-May-2020, 11:13)CongoFather Wrote:
(18-May-2020, 09:56)K4680 Wrote: Hi, it is apparently the right time to buy PS Power devices!  In Germany there is up to 25% discount depending on the device !!  Example: PP 15  / 9700€ now 6900€ new devices !!

For example, what is the current discounted price of PS Audio P12?

Hi, P12 aktuell 4990 €!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
There are already some comparisons - and I too would for the Audioquest Niagara 5000 (there is also a 3000 available for less budget)
Thanks.

However most of the comments I saw on AQ Niagara vs Shunyata seemed to give the edge to the Shunyata or concluded on a draw so I will probably not add the AQ to my short list at this point.

Besides I have first hand experience with both PS Audio (I currently own a P10) and Shunyata (I currently use one of their high end power cords with two more on the way) and I like the way they work and have been pleased with the performance of their products and their price performance ratio.

Cheers,
Bernard
When it comes to PS Audio vs Shunyata vs Audioquest there's one critical factor that I never see mentioned. That's where in the world you are, and I'm not talking about price, I'm talking about availability.

Here in Australia you can't get AQ power products, either their conditioners or their power cables. Power products have to go through certification for Australian standards and it costs and takes time. Audioquest don't seem to have done it which is why I think they can't be sold in Australia. The Australian distributor received certification for the Venom powerbar and for the Hydra conditioners and for some of the Shunyata power cords (apparently there's something about the Alpha EF and Sigma EF power cables that doesn't meet our standards but the NR cables do). They never got certification for the original Denali series. I wanted to get the Denali 6000S based on reviews. It was supposed to be in the process of certification and I waited, and waited, and waited. 18 months ago I gave up and bought my PS Audio P12. The Denali series of conditioners is still not available in Australia and now there's a new version coming out plus new versions of the Hydra series. I have no idea if we'll ever see them in Australia.

I like Shunyata cables, they work really well for me, and I'm slowly working towards replacing all my cabling with Shunyata cables. I think I'd also like a Denali or Hydra but I doubt it will ever be on the cards for me unless something radical happens with the way the distributor and Shunyata are going about Australian certification. I suspect the reason we can buy Shunyata power cables is that the cost and process for local certification of cables is a lot cheaper than the cost for certifying conditioners since it starts out with having to supply a set number of each product for certification and I think at least one of the tests in the process is to destruction plus there's the fee the testing agency charges. Audioquest and/or their distributor seem to have decided at the outset that they weren't going to bother with getting local certification for power products. PS Audio and their distributor get certification for the power plants but not for PS Audio power cables. Currently Shunyata seem to be getting certification for power cables but not for new conditioners. The whole situation is frustrating but that's what we've got here.

The PS Audio power plants do one thing the Shunyata and Audioquest conditioners don't do, they regulate voltage as well. That can be a useful advantage in some locations.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
If you are already using Sigma power Cord, you can go with 6000s V2. I had earlier version. It depends on what kind of sound you like. Denali gave me a little forward sound with my equipment/speaker vs AQ.
With the introduction of new line of Sigma power cords, the earlier version of those cords are being discounted quite heavily. Sigma PCs worked very well from the wall into Denali.
Oppo-203 / SonicTransporter i7 Roon Core ->Trinnov Altitute-16->TAD M2500MK-1 -> TAD CR-1