Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Quality of Power
And for a few dollars less - far better subwoofer than B&W ASW 608 which will again bring faaaaar more significant performance improvement.

Just sayin'... Smile
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

I have had wonderful results with a Keces balanced power transformer.
Makes the system more transparent and natural. I really like it.
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
when people talk of improvements with Power Conditioners, they often mention removing noise, buzz, hum, widening soundstage, deeper blacks(I guess this means less noise), or radio / signal interference.

I don't get any of that.
My issue is to do with fluctuating performance, even during a single day.
I do use a power conditioner (albeit an old Richard Gray 400 pro), and I kind of prefer using it than not, but it doesn't really help the issue.
Mac Mini + Matrix X-SPDIF2 + Echoes Music 1  |  Pro-Ject CD Box RS2T  ⏵  Devialet Expert 250 Pro  ⏵  Boenicke W5 SE, B&W ASW 608 Sub
My fix was 2-fold

230V AC is generated by a Pure Sine wave inverter, powered during the day from photo-voltaic panels and at night from a large lithium-ion battery
A LessLoss mains cable feeds a 6-way Power Distribution Unit (6 individual unswitched sockets - see picture)
A hospital grade mains plug complete with 3 MOVs to the Devialet 220 Pro CI

No noise, no buzz or anything.  Supply is rock-steady at 230 volts 50Hz

The feed from the inverter is quite long - 35m and is shielded 4mm solid wire.  A separate feed just for the audio gear

[Image: FIVBZAX.png]
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
(27-Dec-2021, 14:48)chrisc Wrote: My fix was 2-fold

230V AC is generated by a Pure Sine wave inverter, powered during the day from photo-voltaic panels and at night from a large lithium-ion battery
A LessLoss mains cable feeds a 6-way Power Distribution Unit (6 individual unswitched sockets - see picture)
A hospital grade mains plug complete with 3 MOVs to the Devialet 220 Pro CI

No noise, no buzz or anything.  Supply is rock-steady at 230 volts 50Hz

The feed from the inverter is quite long - 35m and is shielded 4mm solid wire.  A separate feed just for the audio gear
A Pure Sine wave inverter.
That sounds interesting. Do you use a specific brand? Power output?
Mac Mini + Matrix X-SPDIF2 + Echoes Music 1  |  Pro-Ject CD Box RS2T  ⏵  Devialet Expert 250 Pro  ⏵  Boenicke W5 SE, B&W ASW 608 Sub
(27-Dec-2021, 08:13)yanc Wrote: when people talk of improvements with Power Conditioners, they often mention removing noise, buzz, hum, widening soundstage, deeper blacks(I guess this means less noise), or radio / signal interference.

I don't get any of that.
My issue is to do with fluctuating performance, even during a single day.
I do use a power conditioner (albeit an old Richard Gray 400 pro), and I kind of prefer using it than not, but it doesn't really help the issue.

You will need more than just filtering - an Audioquest Niagara 3000 or up has special (peak) power supplies.
(27-Dec-2021, 23:58)yanc Wrote:

Its a Chinese "Pure Sine Wave" 8kVA unit I bought in 2015, brand MPPT Solar, made in Taiwan.   There are many brands.   There is some really good info on this South African Power forum since the countries electricity supply is so unreliable, due to decades of neglect and corruption.   I know many people who have installed similar kits, some quite elaborate.   Mine paid for itself due to electricity savings after 6 years

Forums - Power Forum - Renewable Energy Discussion

The battery is a Lithium-Ion 6kW 24 volt unit

I had to tweak the output of the inverter to output 28.1VDC as it is designed for Lead-Acid batteries and these need 27V tops
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
(08-Jan-2022, 10:41)chrisc Wrote:
(27-Dec-2021, 23:58)yanc Wrote:

Its a Chinese "Pure Sine Wave" 8kVA unit I bought in 2015, brand MPPT Solar, made in Taiwan.   There are many brands.   There is some really good info on this South African Power forum since the countries electricity supply is so unreliable, due to decades of neglect and corruption.   I know many people who have installed similar kits, some quite elaborate.   Mine paid for itself due to electricity savings after 6 years

Forums - Power Forum - Renewable Energy Discussion

The battery is a Lithium-Ion 6kW 24 volt unit

I had to tweak the output of the inverter to output 28.1VDC as it is designed for Lead-Acid batteries and these need 27V tops

I bought the Bluetti EP500 and I had the same positive results.

https://www.bluettipower.com/products/ep...-generator

The interesting part is that my 140 Expert Pro draws less than 50 watts at moderate sound levels.  I was surprised.

The differences are pretty awesome and I’ve had extended listening sessions with a 6-10% draw on the batteries.  

You could get away with the smaller battery pack as long as the inverter is capable of providing power at the appropriate levels.
Devialet Expert 250 Pro| Wilson Audio Yvette | Audience AU24 SX powerChord | Audience Adept Response Power Conditioner | SilverSmith Audio Fidelium | Roon ROCK Lifetime | IsoAcoustics iso-puc, IsoAcoustics GAIA| Oppo UDP-205 | Tidal |