Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Quitting devialet, going Pass Labs
so after a year of using Devialet D200, I am not really satisfied with the dynamics.  Don't get me wrong, Devialet is very convenient.  1 box solution with a great DAC.  
I heard a friend's Jadis tube amp.  Even with 60W, it has great dynamic, plus the warm sweet tone that you expect from a good Class A tube amp.  
I don't want to go tube, and I heard great things about Pass labs.
Thinking about switching.  In fact, I am pretty sure about it.
Anyone has similar experience?
I do, but I came from the opposite direction, from Tube preamp/amp and MSB DAC and high-efficiency speakers to Devialet. It's all personal taste, go with what you love.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Burgundy,

It is totally fine that you found a sound that you prefer in other equipment. Personally, I don't think I would go back to tubes, so the Jadis is not a draw for me. Likewise Jolida or Cary. I really wanted to love Unison, but alas... even being Italian, it wasn't doing the job. I do think that Pass builds some very, very fine amplifiers and they could easily be in the 'different, but equal' category. Naim is sort of seductive that way as well, but it also does not present the clear, strong, defined sonic picture that the Devialet does. At least not in the sub 500 series range.

Perhaps consider the Absolare tube integrated amps. If @GuillaumeB has been seduced by them, then they must be special indeed. it's only money, after all.

I will say that I am a bit sceptical about the 'dynamics' observation. Clear, clean uncolored dynamic capability is a Devialet strength. The D200 is not a powerhouse, and your speakers would have a great deal to do with this aspect of the sound.

If you do change, let us know what takes your heart and fancy.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(17-May-2018, 00:35)burgundy Wrote: so after a year of using Devialet D200, I am not really satisfied with the dynamics.  Don't get me wrong, Devialet is very convenient.  1 box solution with a great DAC.  
I heard a friend's Jadis tube amp.  Even with 60W, it has great dynamic, plus the warm sweet tone that you expect from a good Class A tube amp.  
I don't want to go tube, and I heard great things about Pass labs.
Thinking about switching.  In fact, I am pretty sure about it.
Anyone has similar experience?
I use a Dev200 and recently changed from Atohm GT1 speakers to a pair of Vivid Oval 1.5 speakers.  It was a fabulous upgrade, especially considering that the Atohm GT1 speakers -- despite being bookshelf speakers -- were no slouches.  In both cases, I decided to only buy speakers that had SAM ability, as I think that's a key differentiator for Devialet, at least on some speakers.  I would agree with Damon that speaker selection can affect the way you view the dynamics of the Dev200.

For me, I am still firmly in the Devialet camp, due to invested cost and lack (for me) of a clear alternative.  One of the key factors for me was Roon integration with Devialet Air.  That changed my listening experience and fully realized my source use to Ethernet while providing a wonderful GUI.  I am a happy camper, though I must say I am hugely disappointed that Devialet has decided not to continue to upgrade the Expert line software. One must go Expert Pro to realize the new software upgrade path, unless I am sorely mistaken.  Poor customer support to its installed base.

So that moves me to your decision and a thought: if I were to move to different amplification, I'd probably consider a Vinnie Rossi LIO, a "super integrated" as Vinnie calls it with a 10-year warranty.  It's geared toward customization, so you only pay for those modules that you need (phono stage, DAC, headphone amp, etc.)  Plus, you may add tubes to warm up the sound if you wish, combining Vinnie's tube-gain stage with his lauded transistor-current amp.  Also, due to its unique amplification, you'll never need aftermarket power cables, power conditioners, etc.  Read the audio press and you'll find the LIO is a veritable Swiss army knife solution.  I had some early products from Vinnie when he authored the Red Wine Audio line.  He's not only an innovator but he's also customer-oriented, so you'd never have a problem with him not delivering on his promises.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
Pass Labs stuff is great. A Pass Aleph 0 and a Pass Aleph P preamp and a Pass Aleph Ono phono stage are still probably my all time favorite amplification. But, they sound nothing like Jadis. In fact they sound more like Devialet -- pure, crystalline, and transparent -- but more of the crystalline and pure and a little less of the transparent. For chamber music I don't think better amplification is possible than older Pass. My experience with Pass was it gets super hot (I don't have air conditioning) and it doesn't have the dynamics of Devialet. That said the first time I heard a Pass Aleph 0 through a pair of Audio Physic speakers was probably the defining moment of my audiophile life -- I didn't understand until that moment what was possible.

Jadis stuff is great, and I think a great deal for how much it costs. It is beautifully constructed and if you like that sound hard to top.
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

like baddog I came from Pass Lab's Aleph Ono, Pre and a pair of 100w Aleph 2 mono blocks. They were in my opinion, a truly wonderful audiophile product. One I was truly fortunate to own and experience. Had I not for been introduced to Devialet by my brother some 5 years ago, I would still have them.

AaronG summed it right in his experience with the sound quality from the Pass products. For me, I will endeavour to stay with Devialet as I like their technology. They will eventually get the software correct (my hope and wish for sooner than later).

Jim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia
(17-May-2018, 15:40)Jim_Anderson Wrote: like baddog I came from Pass Lab's Aleph Ono, Pre and a pair of 100w Aleph 2 mono blocks.  They were in my opinion, a truly wonderful audiophile product.  One I was truly fortunate to own and experience.  Had I not for been introduced to Devialet by my brother some 5 years ago, I would still have them.  

AaronG summed it right in his experience with the sound quality from the Pass products.  For me, I will endeavour to stay with Devialet as I like their technology.  They will eventually get the software correct (my hope and wish for sooner than later).

Jim

My own journey started with a D200 (in fact, a D170) and I might easily have looked to move on to a more dynamic-sounding system, until my dealer suggested I look at adding a companion. The rest, as they say, is history. If you like the Devialet world, then you could go a lot further with SQ without leaving the brand altogether.

I hope you find satisfaction, anyway.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
Hi,

You cannot really go wrong with a Pass Labs.

They have class AB separates or an integrated. They are well built and well engineered with short circuit designs. Most of the time the design plays in class A. So you really have to push it loud for the meter in the middle of the aluminum front to pass the threshold for the B to kick in. 

From looks it really is something else than a D. Pass Labs is big (you have to see for yourself) and it runs quite hot. There is no DAC so you have to go to another brand for that. So for sure it will not be a single box solution.

Up to you to let your ears decide! Good luck.
Pass makes a modestly powered integrated... can't remember the model. Terry London reviewed it and liked so well it he bought it. Not hungely in-depth reviews but a reasonable place to start. Other reviews seemed to be equally complimentary.

https://hometheaterreview.com

Snoop about there. Then get a 220 Pro CI. (I probably need a smiley here, but I just don't understand them).
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
I think Devialet is extremely good with dynamic... it’s one of the thing Devialet good at....

But it’s good you find something you like better.