Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ROON vs JRiver?
Dee - I don't think it is too hard to find, it is on the first screen in the link I posted for you. Unless perhaps you missed the fact that the word "here" at the end of the sentence is the link to the content. For which I apologize.

As an aside and to echo an earlier comment, I don't think I have seen such a comprehensive set of release notes as the one's published by Roon. Very rare in this day and age.

For now, Roon users wishing to migrate their libraries to RoonServer can find download links and setup instructions here.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(28-Aug-2015, 18:27)AllenB Wrote: ….Can't wait for the iOS app, but I'm also tempted to get a lower end Surface Pro 3 and use that as a Roon Remote. The slightly larger screen would be perfect for Roon's rich graphical interface, and it will be somewhat cheaper than the iPad Pro.

I was looking for a cheaper alternative to having to buy a new iPad - but it looks to me like the Surface Pro is around £650, which is a lot more than the entry level mini 2/3 and air 2 iPads. Or am I missing something?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(28-Aug-2015, 18:47)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(28-Aug-2015, 18:27)AllenB Wrote: ….Can't wait for the iOS app, but I'm also tempted to get a lower end Surface Pro 3 and use that as a Roon Remote. The slightly larger screen would be perfect for Roon's rich graphical interface, and it will be somewhat cheaper than the iPad Pro.

I was looking for a cheaper alternative to having to buy a new iPad - but it looks to me like the Surface Pro is around £650, which is a lot more than the entry level mini 2/3 and air 2 iPads.  Or am I missing something?

I currently have the mini iPad and whilst it should work, I suspect the screen is going to be too small, there is quite a lot going on in Roon. I may be wrong. The iPad Air 2 is about 10" and should be fine, but a SP3 comes with 12/13" screen in tablet form. Yes it's a little dearer than the iPad Air 2, but I was comparing to the iPad Pro that is rumoured for later this year. 12" screen supposedly, so that will also make a great interface for Roon, but I suspect this is going to be pricey.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
@AllenB - I recommend you wait first for the Roon IOS application to make it was through the App Store and become available. You may find it meets your need, or perhaps the larger real estate of a larger screen is important. Total comes down to individual taste.

I think you might be surprised by the app running on an iPad Mini 2....
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(28-Aug-2015, 22:37)baddog Wrote: @AllenB - I recommend you wait first for the Roon IOS application to make it was through the App Store and become available. You may find it meets your need, or perhaps the larger real estate of a larger screen is important. Total comes down to individual taste.

I think you might be surprised by the app running on an iPad Mini 2....

Will do baddog, thanks. There is also the endpoint to consider, currently a MacMini with Regen which is sounding fab, so keeping in the Mac ecosystem makes sense. Just like the look of the SP3, but it's not going to work that well with a Mac as the remote endpoint and a headless NUC as the Roon server. The release of RoonSpeaker is going to determine which way I go, as manufacturers start adopting it.

Keeping all options open at the moment, and as you say iOS app needs to be used first when it gets released.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
Just as an FYI, I have a mixed environment of both PCs and Macs, though my preference is the latter, I have used both the PC and the Mac as the Roon (Core) with DAC connected. I have controlled them via a second PC/Mac with nary a hitch. So I can attest to the fact that a mixed environment will work fine.

However to your point if you are running a headless NUC as the RoonServer, with a MacMini as an endpoint with DAC, and want to control the playback on the Mac Mini with another device, you will definitely want RoonSpeakers for the scenario.

Barr
SXSW, US
If I may jump in here and raise a question as well, is there an ideal Roon hardware and network set up for best sound quality?

I try to strictly use the apple environment at home. About 2 years ago I bought JRMC (for Windows) and went bootcamp on my mac mini to try that platform. JRMC was a little beyond my expectation of a k.i.s.s. approach. I floundered around with JRMC until acquiring an Aurender a year ago. I really dig the Aurender ipad app and simplicity.

I wish to get on board with Roon and Tidal, but also would greatly prefer to keep a pc/mac mini out of the audio system network if possible. This is the gist of my question. I currently have a the Devialet D200 with signals fed from the Aurender. The Aurender has both internal HDDs and is on a LAN ethernet to my NAS.

I also have a 2012 mac mini (I-7, 16 GB, SSD) where the JRMC was residing (USB connection to the D200). Now used primarily for HT, streaming movies, web surfing and network maintenance. I think this machine is over kill for its current uses, but I held on to it waiting to see how Roon manifests itself.

I also have a 2014 macbook pro 15, ipad air and iphone 6 available. I'm currently looking to upgrade my Aurender S10 to the new N10.

Am I stuck with having to have a PC device in place to utilize roon? I didn't quite understand what potential benfit Roonspeaker may provide.

Thanks
Kenreau
Synology DS412+> Aurender S10> AQ Wel AES > Devialet 200> AQ Castle Rock Bi-Wired > Vandersteen 5As.
(28-Aug-2015, 18:27)AllenB Wrote: There's probably a good reason why it's buried in the post about Roon 1.1 on their website, you have to follow the instructions to ensure the folder name containing your Roon database is changed.

Went headless Roon yesterday, and it's brilliant. Can't wait for the iOS app, but I'm also tempted to get a lower end Surface Pro 3 and use that as a Roon Remote. The slightly larger screen would be perfect for Roon's rich graphical interface, and it will be somewhat cheaper than the iPad Pro.

Just FYI - I used a very cheap Windows 10 tablet (Linx 8", £99 on Amazon) with Roon as a controller to good effect. You can get a 10" variant for £159 too if you want a larger screen. Even the 8" worked pretty well although the bigger screen helps. But it is cheap enough to experiment.
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
I never thought the day would come when I became officially OLD - It kinds creeps up on you, and it is others around you that notice first (if they dare tell you!)

See, what you have to remember is that I appear to have become the "grumpy" variety, maybe due to too many things going wrong in my life, so simple things I used to take in my stride I get rather frustrated about.

Anyway... don't get me wrong...ROON is very good, and continues to be promising....and I realise it cannot be all things to all men (or women for that matter).

So...If I appear critical, its not meant in a negative way, and you guys all, have been very helpful.... which is a delight on this forum...

Anyway...back to being grumpy!.....
Fairford UK area - Devialet 440, Aurender Streamer- Linked to QNAP NAS 453mini - Triangle Signature Deltas, Van Damme Professional Blue Series Studio Grade 2 x 4.0 mm cables, Moon Neo 260D DC Transport, Dell notebook Client linked both ethernet & wifi.