Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 4.25 Average
ROON
(03-Jun-2017, 11:23)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I don't have any issues SQ-wise since I'm already doing fairly heavy room correction and other eq so I'm hardly in the pure signal camp any more. It's also very convenient. But ultimately I disabled it because for the majority of music I listen to the attenuation is a lot and means higher volume settings on the amp.
I could reduce my dsp headroom since volume levelling probably gives enough - but then what if I play something with a good range score, will it clip? I decided to not bother and just embrace a bit of volume adjustment - otherwise what's the beautiful remote for!?

Same here, I am using convolution in Roon but volume leveling is set off. I have never noticed any need for volume leveling. The convolution filters that I am using have about -6db attenuation and I also use -4db headroom in Roon to avoid clipping. Therefore I need to use higher volume on the amp but that is totally fine with me.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
Anyone know if they are working on supporting software MQA decoding? If so, any idea on when it will be supported?
(24-Aug-2017, 21:23)Jacke89 Wrote: Anyone know if they are working on supporting software MQA decoding? If so, any idea on when it will be supported?

There are literally thousands of posts on the Roon forum discussing this.

To summarise, they're most likely working on it and there are no timescales. Trust me, that's about the best answer you're going to get on it. Smile

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(25-Aug-2017, 13:11)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(24-Aug-2017, 21:23)Jacke89 Wrote: Anyone know if they are working on supporting software MQA decoding? If so, any idea on when it will be supported?

There are literally thousands of posts on the Roon forum discussing this.

To summarise, they're most likely working on it and there are no timescales. Trust me, that's about the best answer you're going to get on it. Smile

Okay, thank you! Found a few threads on the Roon forum, but no new ones (didn't dig so deep), so that's I wanted to check if you guys new anything. 

Quite new to Roon and liking it soundwise, but not 100% about the rest of the software. Maybe it's just takes some time getting used to, but the search in Tidal i terrible. Maybe I'm missing something, but can't really find the songs I want when searching. Mostly the sorting I don't like I guess, since the most popular and obvious choice comes up in the Tidal app, but in Roon it seems to only sort for the most relevant by name. Can I change this somehow?

Sorry if this is a very stupid question Tongue.
Roon search is quite robust, but there are always tricks to learn.

General search - the standard search bar reached via the magnifying glass in the upper right corner. Works like a google search.

Library search - By Artist, Album, Tracks, Composer, etc... Once the library is selected, you can start typing. If the results are presented in a grid (like a spreadsheet) you can select the column, start typing, or change the sort order.

Focus - perhaps the most powerful component of Roon search - it provides numerous parameters to select on. Note that this can be combined with the Libraries and some the parameters that can be selected will changed based on the library. Definitely worth exploring this powerful feature.

Now, I don't use Tidal so am not certain if all the above works throughout Tidal as well, but I suspect it does.

Hey, I've been using Roon for going on 2 years and still learning new things about it. Of course, just keeping up with new features that routinely get released is also fascinating. My guess is that the more you learn and explore, the more you'll release the power behind Roon's design.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
(25-Aug-2017, 20:17)mdconnelly Wrote: Roon search is quite robust, but there are always tricks to learn.

General search - the standard search bar reached via the magnifying glass in the upper right corner.   Works like a google search.

Library search - By Artist, Album, Tracks, Composer, etc...   Once the library is selected, you can start typing.   If the results are presented in a grid (like a spreadsheet) you can select the column, start typing, or change the sort order.

Focus - perhaps the most powerful component of Roon search - it provides numerous parameters to select on.  Note that this can be combined with the Libraries and some the parameters that can be selected will changed based on the library.    Definitely worth exploring this powerful feature.  

Now, I don't use Tidal so am not certain if all the above works throughout Tidal as well, but I suspect it does.

Hey, I've been using Roon for going on 2 years and still learning new things about it.  Of course, just keeping up with new features that routinely get released is also fascinating.  My guess is that the more you learn and explore, the more you'll release the power behind Roon's design.

Thank you for a great answer!

Seems like the search in Tidal is not as great as the search for local files Sad. I can always put songs in a playlist or add it to my favorites to find it easy in Roon, but would be great if I could just search like I do in the Tidal app.

Just a quick example: Try searching for "Despacito" in the Tidal app vs Roon. No, I don't like the song, but just an example. In Roon it's almost impossible to find it, in Tidal you only have to type "Desp..." for it to find it.
(25-Aug-2017, 21:07)Jacke89 Wrote:
(25-Aug-2017, 20:17)mdconnelly Wrote: Roon search is quite robust, but there are always tricks to learn.

General search - the standard search bar reached via the magnifying glass in the upper right corner.   Works like a google search.

Library search - By Artist, Album, Tracks, Composer, etc...   Once the library is selected, you can start typing.   If the results are presented in a grid (like a spreadsheet) you can select the column, start typing, or change the sort order.

Focus - perhaps the most powerful component of Roon search - it provides numerous parameters to select on.  Note that this can be combined with the Libraries and some the parameters that can be selected will changed based on the library.    Definitely worth exploring this powerful feature.  

Hey, I've been using Roon for going on 2 years and still learning new things about it.  Of course, just keeping up with new features that routinely get released is also fascinating.  My guess is that the more you learn and explore, the more you'll release the power behind Roon's design.

Thank you for a great answer!

Seems like the search in Tidal is not as great as the search for local files Sad. I can always put songs in a playlist or add it to my favorites to find it easy in Roon, but would be great if I could just search like I do in the Tidal app.

Just a quick example: Try searching for "Despacito" in the Tidal app vs Roon. No, I don't like the song, but just an example. In Roon it's almost impossible to find it, in Tidal you only have to type "Desp..." for it to find it.

So what happens in Roon if you search for "Despacito"? At least I'm getting following results, is some of these what you are looking for?
[Image: Despacito.PNG?dl=1]

In Tidal app I get quite similar results:
[Image: Despacito_Tidal.png?dl=1]
I'm just trying to understand what is the problem here Smile
Devialet 1000 Pro
Tampere, Finland
Yes, but try finding the right track, this one: https://tidal.com/track/70587299

In Tidal it's at least the 5th track it's listing, in Roon it's showing me like 1000 tracks with no way of sorting them. See what I mean? In Tidal it seems to be sorting both on the most relevant track, but also the most popular. Roon seems to be only the most relevant.
(26-Aug-2017, 07:39)Jacke89 Wrote: Yes, but try finding the right track, this one: https://tidal.com/track/70587299

In Tidal it's at least the 5th track it's listing, in Roon it's showing me like 1000 tracks with no way of sorting them. See what I mean? In Tidal it seems to be sorting both on the most relevant track, but also the most popular. Roon seems to be only the most relevant.

Right, I see.

Perhaps you could create an enhancement request about this on the Roon forums? I'm sure they are eager to improve the user experience.
Devialet 1000 Pro
Tampere, Finland
Yes, might do that! Just wanted to check if I was stupid and missing something Tongue.

Thanks anyway!