Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Custom Reactor and Dante
(10-Jul-2020, 22:29)mcallega Wrote:
(13-May-2020, 02:34)misterhon Wrote:
(12-May-2020, 23:58)Snoopy8 Wrote: Dante requires Ethernet to be cabled for all the components and a PoE switch added. Most consumers will not want to set this up in the home. There is also the additional cost to the AVR.

For a small setup, you can get around the PoE requirement using a cheap power injector for each port. Not sure what to make of the AVR costs, though.
Same thinking here, it looks Devialet makes it very hard to use their speakers for surround reproduction instead of suggesting some options to customers and make everybody save time. I am still considering switching to Devialet but the uncertainties for surround compatibility are high. This thread is super helpful, thanks!

In my little research, it appears Dante requires a pre-amp with per-channel "AES/XLR" output, then go into a Dante Controller, ethernet switch, then Dante adapter dongle for each Phantom.

Is it possible to skip Dante, and go directly from Pre-amp XLR-out to optical (via some form of converter), into individual Phantom Premier per channel?
(10-Sep-2020, 22:44)misterhon Wrote: Is it possible to skip Dante, and go directly from Pre-amp XLR-out to optical (via some form of converter), into individual Phantom Premier per channel?
You can convert analog XLR to digital TOSLink but it will require a powered box. TOSLink cannot be run as far as Ethernet, so you'll need to take that into consideration. Also, you'll probably need to have your AV processor recompute the channel distances/delays.
Neko Audio
(10-Sep-2020, 22:44)misterhon Wrote:
(10-Jul-2020, 22:29)mcallega Wrote:
(13-May-2020, 02:34)misterhon Wrote: For a small setup, you can get around the PoE requirement using a cheap power injector for each port. Not sure what to make of the AVR costs, though.
Same thinking here, it looks Devialet makes it very hard to use their speakers for surround reproduction instead of suggesting some options to customers and make everybody save time. I am still considering switching to Devialet but the uncertainties for surround compatibility are high. This thread is super helpful, thanks!

In my little research, it appears Dante requires a pre-amp with per-channel "AES/XLR" output, then go into a Dante Controller, ethernet switch, then Dante adapter dongle for each Phantom.

Is it possible to skip Dante, and go directly from Pre-amp XLR-out to optical (via some form of converter), into individual Phantom Premier per channel?

No... the problem is that Devialet's software is unable to decode audio streams encoded in Dolby Digital or DTS.  As a result you need to send only PCM encoded audio streams to the Toslink port of a phantom.  PCM only supports 2 channels.  That's why you need an external processor to decode the surround audio tracks.   

If you're adventurous, JBL released a pro-sumer Pre-Amp (https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/el...P-55-.html) that will decode surround sound audio and output the individual channels as discrete Dante channels.  Then you just map the Dante channels to your phantoms and you're good to go. :-)
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
@njaiswal

That JBL thing is nearly perfect. I want to buy one of those, that has no outputs other than Dante. Then it would be much smaller!
(14-Sep-2020, 09:32)booshtukka Wrote: @njaiswal

That JBL thing is nearly perfect. I want to buy one of those, that has no outputs other than Dante. Then it would be much smaller!

Totally agree with you.  I'm just waiting for one of my Anthem's to fail so I can "justify" getting the JBL.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(14-Sep-2020, 03:26)njaiswal Wrote:
(10-Sep-2020, 22:44)misterhon Wrote:
(10-Jul-2020, 22:29)mcallega Wrote: Same thinking here, it looks Devialet makes it very hard to use their speakers for surround reproduction instead of suggesting some options to customers and make everybody save time. I am still considering switching to Devialet but the uncertainties for surround compatibility are high. This thread is super helpful, thanks!

No... the problem is that Devialet's software is unable to decode audio streams encoded in Dolby Digital or DTS.  As a result you need to send only PCM encoded audio streams to the Toslink port of a phantom.  PCM only supports 2 channels.  That's why you need an external processor to decode the surround audio tracks.   

If you're adventurous, JBL released a pro-sumer Pre-Amp (https://www.jblsynthesis.com/products/el...P-55-.html) that will decode surround sound audio and output the individual channels as discrete Dante channels.  Then you just map the Dante channels to your phantoms and you're good to go. :-)

I will still need the Devialet "adaptor" though, do I need to go with a designated regional/local vendor to get my hands on them?
(15-Sep-2020, 04:07)misterhon Wrote:
(14-Sep-2020, 03:26)njaiswal Wrote:
(10-Sep-2020, 22:44)misterhon Wrote: In my little research, it appears Dante requires a pre-amp with per-channel "AES/XLR" output, then go into a Dante Controller, ethernet switch, then Dante adapter dongle for each Phantom.

I will still need the Devialet "adaptor" though, do I need to go with a designated regional/local vendor to get my hands on them?

You need a dante to Toslink adapter.  You can get a "bulky" one from micromedia.ch or if you can find a Devialet "pro" resller in your area, then you can get an Auvitran Devialet Dante adapter.
Hi All, have you noticed that the connectivity specs for Reactor Custom say

https://www.devialet.com/en-us/product-p...country=US

Network: Ethernet, Dante support
Inputs: Euroblock connector, configurable in
- AES/EBU 110 Ohms balanced digital input <<<<<
- balanced analog mono input

And on the photo No. 3 you can even see the Euroblock connector which looks nothing like my regular Reactor analog/optical input. According to the description, it should be compatible with regular XLR cables even though it does not look like a regular XLR outlet, either (I guess full size XLR did not fit at the back panel).

So I'm thinking getting a 5-channel output of the amp in AES/EBU may be easier than 5-channel optical output (does it even exist?), and you can bypass Dante altogether. Back to good old cables - no latency here! This being said, I am not sure how one would control the volume in such a setup...
(21-Sep-2020, 23:12)quartz78 Wrote: Hi All, have you noticed that the connectivity specs for Reactor Custom say

And on the photo No. 3 you can even see the Euroblock connector which looks nothing like my regular Reactor analog/optical input. According to the description, it should be compatible with regular XLR cables even though it does not look like a regular XLR outlet, either (I guess full size XLR did not fit at the back panel).

So I'm thinking getting a 5-channel output of the amp in AES/EBU may be easier than 5-channel optical output (does it even exist?), and you can bypass Dante altogether. Back to good old cables - no latency here! This being said, I am not sure how one would control the volume in such a setup...
That should work.  I found this connector that may work with the Euroblock connector on the reactor... https://hosatech.com/products/analog-aud...100f-bulk/

Let us know how it works out for you.
(25-Sep-2020, 22:55)njaiswal Wrote:
(21-Sep-2020, 23:12)quartz78 Wrote: Hi All, have you noticed that the connectivity specs for Reactor Custom say

That should work.  I found this connector that may work with the Euroblock connector on the reactor... https://hosatech.com/products/analog-aud...100f-bulk/

Let us know how it works out for you.

Thanks. I don't actually have Reactor Customs, but regular ones. I hope it will help out someone else!