Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reactor vs. Akoya
I am torn between choosing a Reactor or the Pearl Akoya from Cabasse. I have heard both, but in different rooms. Soundwise I really can't decide after brief auditions. TV listening is crucial for me, and I seldom play very loud. 

Other considerations:
The Akoya is more expensive, but that is OK for a long-term investment. 
The Akoya has room correction and other EQ adjustments. 
Latency for TV is 200 ms for Akoya vs the Reactor's 60 ms. 
The Reactor has a smaller footprint. 

Could anyone offer some further insight for making me choose?
For TV Reactor should be a better choice (lower latency).

With the price difference (especially when you go for a Reactor 600 and stereo configuration) 
you could hook the Reactors to a room correction unit like the minidsp SHD Studio.
200 ms latency will be too much for TV. Also, get a stereo pair which is much better.
(02-Mar-2020, 22:36)Snoopy8 Wrote: 200 ms latency will be too much for TV. Also, get a stereo pair which is much better.
Yes, stereo is a given. I just forgot to mention it.

Weird if 200 ms is too much when that is the value for the TV button in the Cabasse app.
Yep, the Reactor also looks to me prettier.
Judging by the replies, it seems no one has heard both models, or am I missing something?
Correct. Would love to hear what Cabasse has created in this arena.
(02-Mar-2020, 19:59)extenso Wrote: Latency for TV is 200 ms for Akoya vs the Reactor's 60 ms. 

From the User guide

OPTIMIZATION OF AV SYNCHRONIZATION
In order to provide a stable stereo reproduction with a WLAN connection, the standard delay in the firmware of THE PEARL / THE PEAL AKOYA can be up to 1000 milliseconds. This delay can be divided by 5 or more for AV purpose by selecting the TV mode instead of the Hi-Fi mode.

I think I understand how you determined the 200ms latency.

But, it states upto 1000ms delay which might suggest it could be lowered.
Also, it states AV delay can be divided by 5 or more which again suggests it could be lower.

I have Golds (thankfully still at DOS1 in Direct Optical mode), but looking at the Akoya specs, I would suggest choosing them.
They appear to be a complete solution with more inputs, EQ, streaming services, internet radio and even local audio from a USB thumb drive/hard drive!
I have no idea how capable the software is but it can’t be as bad as that offered for the Reactor, surely. ?

Edit: it also comes with its own carrying case and a programmable bluetooth controller!!!
If you get the chance to listen to both would be really great to hear your thoughts.
Living Room: Devialet Dione
Checked with Cabasse - the room calibration works only for 15Hz up to 200Hz.

Regarding delay, I am copying the answer:
For now, 300ms is the minimum you can set because it's the time needed for the sound to go from the inputs to the DSP and the amplifiers. This buffer is necessary to allows a stereo pair to be in sync, in the case of the most efficient network. If you encounter some stereo stage or phase shift problems, you can increase this buffer in order the let more time for the synchronization between the products. It goes next through the audio processing for another 100ms. This time is set because of our patented high-quality processing algorithms (equalization, compression,...). It can't be reduced without compromising the sound quality.
So, for now, the minimal throughout time is about 300ms.

We are currently actively working on a way to a have a "direct" communication between the Aux inputs (Optical - RCA) and the DSP without the sync stage, so its latency could be reduced to only roughly the 100ms needed for processing. This also means that the inputted signal should be separated beforehand when using a pair (no stereo-streaming possible).
This option should be available quite soon but given it's still in development and need to go through all the firmware tests, it could take some weeks before public releasing.