Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Recommendations for reducing clipping?
Hey All!

I just got a new cartridge which I have hooked up to a separate phonostage connected to the line input of my Expert Pro 1000. The RAM settings of the Expert Pro are set with no high pass and max level at 2.0 V. I noticed that I'm getting clipping issues as the dB indicator on the Expert Pro intermittently flashes red on certain albums. I set the max level to 3.0 V but the clipping warning still occurred. Any advice on what settings I should adjust to eliminate the clipping issue?

Really appreciate the help as always.
I thought RAM settings was only related to RIAA adjustments Are you sure you have configured the input as line level and not phono? To avoid clipping on the line input with a phono stage in front, the only way is to reduce the sensitivity of the Devialet input till the clipping is gone (provided everything is working as it should) Is there a subsonic filter in your phono stage? Is it on?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Some Vinyls are overloaded and the phonostage show this when the settings all ok invalides auto wifi off
Another thing.. is the LED on the bottom under the front switch flashing? That indicates digital clipping. The level meters in the amp's display is also accurate, but not as easy to read.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
I checked the configurator. It's definitely set to line out with max level at 2.0 Vrms. Based on the explantation of "max value" in the configurator it would seem that I should increase this which should help. Gotta be honest, the explanation is pushing the boundaries of my own expertise.

I don't have a subsonic filter in the phonostage. I just use the one in the Expert Pro.

The light on the underside of the unit holds steady but the dB display still flashes red.
I don't own a Devialet amp any more so I can't check, but maybe they have changed the clipping indication to something else. We will have to hope some one with a Devialet amp can tell us how this works today!
I ask about a subsonic filter as low frequency content (arm/cartridge resonance) from your turntable could trig clipping without you hearing any of it.
Devialetless!
(18-Feb-2021, 18:10)Dev_Steve Wrote: I checked the configurator. It's definitely set to line out with max level at 2.0 Vrms. Based on the explantation of "max value" in the configurator it would seem that I should increase this which should help. Gotta be honest, the explanation is pushing the boundaries of my own expertise.

I don't have a subsonic filter in the phonostage. I just use the one in the Expert Pro.

The light on the underside of the unit holds steady but the dB display still flashes red.

There is a reason that Devialet use the "Max level" term.  There is no agreed convention for specifying output voltages, so some might specify a figure at 1000 Hz / 5cm/sec or something.  The point being that the cartridge manufacturer’s specified voltage might be a nominal value, not a maximum.  Hence why most of us have the "Max Level" set a little above the cartridge manufactures "nominal" specification.  Plus in practical terms, playing an old 33rpm LP will result is a lower output than a deep cut 180g 45rpm 12" single.  Because of this, a "trial and error" approach is required.

With all of that said, I am very surprised that if the cartridge is specified at 2mV and you have used max level 3mV, that you are still getting clipping.  (or maybe 2uV if this is an MC cartridge) This should be an adequate margin.  I presume you mean 2mV (or 2uV), not 2V, or maybe not? See below.

Anyway, after writing the above, I then noticed that you mention that you are using an external phono stage. (although I note eagle eyed @ogs spotted this)  This will indeed output about 2V (much the same output as a CD player or similar, and massively higher than a cartridge output), and this should be connected to a normal "Line Input" configured not a "Phono Input".  

If you connect an external phono stage to a configured "phono input", you will get clipping and distortion, you are basically amplifying the cartridge's output twice over.

That said, maybe you have correctly realised that you should indeed be using a "line input"?  (although then I am puzzled as to why you mention RAM settings) Hence your 2V comment is correct.  Output voltages for phono stages can vary quite a lot, and will be dependent on setting the correct gain values in the phono stage itself.  (or it might be fixed gain?)

Perhaps if you advise what model cartridge you are using, and what model external phono stage you have, and what settings you have used on the external phono stage, we might be able to work this one out!

Plus, one option you have is to skip the external phono stage and then just use the Devialet's phono input?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(18-Feb-2021, 19:18)Confused Wrote:
(18-Feb-2021, 18:10)Dev_Steve Wrote: I checked the configurator. It's definitely set to line out with max level at 2.0 Vrms. Based on the explantation of "max value" in the configurator it would seem that I should increase this which should help. Gotta be honest, the explanation is pushing the boundaries of my own expertise.

There is a reason that Devialet use the "Max level" term.  There is no agreed convention for specifying output voltages, so some might specify a figure at 1000 Hz / 5cm/sec or something.  The point being that the cartridge manufacturer’s specified voltage might be a nominal value, not a maximum.  Hence why most of us have the "Max Level" set a little above the cartridge manufactures "nominal" specification.  Plus in practical terms, playing an old 33rpm LP will result is a lower output than a deep cut 180g 45rpm 12" single.  Because of this, a "trial and error" approach is required.

With all of that said, I am very surprised that if the cartridge is specified at 2mV and you have used max level 3mV, that you are still getting clipping.  (or maybe 2uV if this is an MC cartridge) This should be an adequate margin.  I presume you mean 2mV (or 2uV), not 2V, or maybe not? See below.

Anyway, after writing the above, I then noticed that you mention that you are using an external phono stage. (although I note eagle eyed @ogs spotted this)  This will indeed output about 2V (much the same output as a CD player or similar, and massively higher than a cartridge output), and this should be connected to a normal "Line Input" configured not a "Phono Input".  

If you connect an external phono stage to a configured "phono input", you will get clipping and distortion, you are basically amplifying the cartridge's output twice over.

That said, maybe you have correctly realised that you should indeed be using a "line input"?  (although then I am puzzled as to why you mention RAM settings) Hence your 2V comment is correct.  Output voltages for phono stages can vary quite a lot, and will be dependent on setting the correct gain values in the phono stage itself.  (or it might be fixed gain?)

Perhaps if you advise what model cartridge you are using, and what model external phono stage you have, and what settings you have used on the external phono stage, we might be able to work this one out!

Plus, one option you have is to skip the external phono stage and then just use the Devialet's phono input?
I have the Lyra Etna Lambda hooked up to a LP12 Klimax with an Allnic H-700v phonostage. The reason I use the Allnic as opposed to the Devialet is because the Allnic is a miracle and with the Lyra, I've never heard anything like it! That said, per my previous posts, I checked the devialet configurator and the Allnic is indeed hooked up to a "line" input. Note that in the configurator, you can adjust the "max level" for line inputs, so this is not just a phono input feature. The default max level for the Line Input in the configurator is set to 2.0 Vrms. I'm not confident adjusting that is going to help or not.

That said, I have adjusted the gain down on the Allnic and that seems to have done the trick. Tonight I experiment to see if the new values are still in that sweet spot that I was getting before.