Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Recommended Phantom Demo Tracks?
Hi All,

I have been having great fun here demoing Phantom to anyone who comes into the shop, the response is the same everytime, using London Grammar's 'Hey Now' the look of amazement as soon as the bass comes in is priceless :-)

I have been searching through my music library trying various tracks that really show Phantom off, below are a few of my favourites so far but I thought it would be fun if other Phantom users could post some of their favourites for everyone else to try - 

London Grammar - 'Hey Now'
Muse - Psycho
Massive Attack - Teardrop
Aaron Copland - Fanfare For The Common Man
Nine Inch Nails - Copy Of A
Machinehead - Halo

Look forward to trying some other recommendations :-)

Cheers,
Paul.
Emilie Nicolas - Games
James Blake - Limit To Your Love
Leonard Cohen - A Thousand Kisses Deep
Diana Krall - My Love Is
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Make sure to play something from "tipper" (album: broken soul jamboree) for the electronic music needs.
Excellent production, heavy basslines, crazy snappy synth fx. And yet complex and intelligent music.
DJ Koze Amygdala (complex and great electronica)
Oliver Nelson Blues and the Abstract Truth (classic big group jazz)
Hilary Hahn playing the Sibelius Violin Concerto

That should test it out a bit!
SYSTEM 1:Grimm MU-1 running Roon Server & Ready//Grimm TPM//GRIMM LS1be
SYSTEM 2: Antipodes DX Roon Server// MiniDSP// Grimm TPM// Dutch & Dutch 8C

Nah... you guys are all wrong! There's only one track to effectively run thru the Phantoms and for obvious reasons; Bob Seger's Horizontal Bop!!! Big Grin
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
Naturally, Flight of the Cosmic Hippo by Béla Fleck and the Flecktones, especially the fretless bass and particularly midway through.
James Blake — Limit To Your Love
SBTRKT — Trials Of The Past
Daft Punk — Solar Sailer
SBSTRKT, Sampha — Wonder Where We Land
Jamie xx - Beat For
Ben Khan — Savage
Nicolas Jaar, Tamara — Why Didn't You Save Me
SOHN — Veto
Shlomo, Nicolas Jaar — Rained The Whole Time (Nicolas Jaar Remix)
Jamie Woon — Shoulda
James Blake — Retrograde
The XX — Basic Space (Jamie xx Space Bass Mix)
Black Atlass — Paris
Ben Khan — Eden
Gil Scott-Heron — I'll Take Care Of You
Nosaj Thing — Fog
The Knife — Silent Shout
Jamie XX — Sleep Sound
Emiliana Torrini — Gun
James Blake — A Case Of You
SOHN — The Chase
Woo2Tech — Don't Be Late
Dry Bolinger — Feel The Bass - Purple Disco Machine Remix
MIOIOIN — Hydrogen
Phil Collins — In The Air Tonight
Gil Scott-Heron — New York Is Killing Me
Jay Z, Kanye West, Otis Redding — Otis
Justice — On'n'On (Ruined by Rick Rubin)
Mr Oizo — Flat Beat

...and many more

Playlist Tidal: https://tidal.com/playlist/79d47bde-3839...506aa420ba
Playlist Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/user/michael.sc...dG6WpuKCxj
I had my first listen to a single white phantom last week. It was brief, but the sound was impressive. I think the bass performance of the phantom is largely beyond doubt. If I was going to sit down again for a calmer, more absorbing listen, I would like to hear music that shows the character of the mid and upper tones.

I think I would ask for: 
Vivaldi concertos in C for 3 oboes, 2 clarinets and strings
Corelli conceri grossi in D (Trevor Pinnock, English Consort)
Pink Martini, tracks from 'Hang on, Little Tomato'
Jordi Savall, Rolf Lislevand, Michael Behringer; La Folia, or the sound track from Tous Les Matins Du Monde. 
Nouvelle Vague, various.

Not that these are particularly demanding tracks or albums, or particularly top-heavy; just some items that we listen to often, and where I would notice the presentation of midrange and treble regions, as well as space, silence, fibrous texture.... esp. Jordi Savall. 

There are plenty of excellent recommendations made already; I'm just fussing around before work.
> welcome DATA.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Thanks the the replies so far guys, looks like the above will keep me busy for a while, I actually forgot my favourite demo track, if you really want to follow a bass line of a track try the below, funnily enough the bottom bass line just doesn't exist on a lot of other speakers -

Gorillaz - Dare
(07-Jul-2015, 15:33)Vince_JP Wrote: One of the most impressive "Phantom Dance" I've experienced so far, came also most unexpected: no drum beat, no heavy/loud tune but a kind of deep blowing wind: try the first minutes from Artist Biosphere, Album Substrata, Track Kobresia (to be found on Spotify but maybe also elsewhere)... Although it's probably not everyone's taste, I like it to show the famous "Dance" cause it's not hurting any sensible ears and it produces most effectively the astonished faces you want to see by demoing Phantom. Big Grin

As Vince_JP notes, the only track I have come across, so far, that excites the bass drives without the need to crank up the volume.