Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reduce max power with high efficiency speakers or not?
Surely it will only output the required power for the speakers at the desired volume?
So what’s the point in reducing max power - any benefits to power saving / sound quality if those additional watts aren’t being used anyway?

My speakers are 100db efficient so I only need a few watts apparently Smile

Any thoughts from people who tried it and decided to lower the output / or not, and why?

Thanks Smile
Jamie
1. Protection from kids.
2. Protection from bad batteries (in remote).
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

Hi thanks.

So all it does it reduce the max volume really?

Didn’t think about bad batteries - is there a danger the remote could max out the volume by accident?

What about transient peaks will it affect that? Or is that more the power supply / current that does this?
Yes, remote can go wild wth bad batteries Smile
I've seen it.

I haven't tried power limiting yet (and probably won't ever) and don't know how exactly Devialet do this limiting, but it's probably the same or similar with soft clipping mechanism.

How good is Devialet with so efficient speakers?
Most people use valve amps or class A amps.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

As far as I can see, Devialet is reducing amplifier voltage. So, there should be no impact in sound quality. I suppose...
Yes, limiting is basically done by reducing voltage on the power rails to the amplifier stage. I think with the D-Premier it is worth a try. In my system I needed the power (because I used both convolution and bass EQ), but 100dB efficient speakers should be happy with less power (start with 30 watts and see how it goes). There may also be an improvement in sound quality by reducing power. I believe this depends on the firmware one uses. Dynamic Power Management was introduced at some point, but I don't think the D-Premier power supply could take full advantage of DPM.
Remember that ADH stands for Analog Digital Hybrid where the 'A' is a class A analog amplifier. Devialet used to demonstrate that the D-Premier still played music with the class D stage physically removed.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Thanks all - I dropped it to 30 but not had a chance to listen yet
Bastanis Wildhorn sound incredible by the way Smile
Incredibly well controlled bass and smashing all round top to bottom so far
Currently using chromecast into optical - tried to set up AIR but didn’t install on my work laptop
Will try again later Smile
Is there an ethernet port on your D-P?
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
I used to set a lower power when I was using my 109dB/watt horns but it is a pain changing config so now I leave my O d'A at maximum whichever speakers I am using.
OTOH no kids here and I am the only person using the amp.
What did make a worthwhile difference was setting the basic default volume setting - the one it goes to on switch on - to a lower value. I have to remember to turn it down now before I play a CD Smile
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

The O d'A is a Pro CI. I also used full power on the 250 Pro CI I had as the (sound quality) effect of reducing power output disappeared when Devialet introduced the new Pro power supply. For the D-Premier I noticed a difference when I lowered power output.
Good idea to set a low start volume. Less chance of surprises!
Devialetless!