Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Repair
Hello,

I begin being interested in Phantom since their release.
However, considering their price, I am concerned about their reparability outside of warenty time.

I have heard that Devialet support apparently pretend it is not possivble to put them back togetheir properly once they are disassembled.
I had a look at these pictures:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-My_rS...200050.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-B84Fu...200046.jpg

And i see absolutely no reason why there should be any difficulty in repairing them.

They look like fine automobile like piece of design. Considering those who created their structure were designer in this domain, it is not suprinsing.

So I just think Devialet does not have a repair or support departement, does not want to create one yet, and that's it.
If a unit is physically damaged, it may be difficult to repair because it would need having access to specific spare parts.
But if one of those big condensator failed, per example, there should be no difficulty to disassemble them and replace the part, in any proper electronic repair center.

Since I can't buy some without this question being answered, I am ready for some test myself.
If someone has a defective, or non reparable out of warenty unit, that he would not mind being open, I guess it would be worth a try.
(09-May-2017, 09:26)Zumb Wrote: Hello,

I begin being interested in Phantom since their release.
However, considering their price, I am concerned about their reparability outside of warenty time.

I have heard that Devialet support apparently pretend it is not possivble to put them back togetheir properly once they are disassembled.
I had a look at these pictures:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-My_rS...200050.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-B84Fu...200046.jpg

And i see absolutely no reason why there should be any difficulty in repairing them.

They look like fine automobile like piece of design. Considering those who created their structure were designer in this domain, it is not suprinsing.

So I just think Devialet does not have a repair or support departement, does not want to create one yet, and that's it.
If a unit is physically damaged, it may be difficult to repair because it would need having access to specific spare parts.
But if one of those big condensator failed, per example, there should be no difficulty to disassemble them and replace the part, in any proper electronic repair center.

Since I can't buy some without this question being answered, I am ready for some test myself.
If someone has a defective, or non reparable out of warenty unit, that he would not mind being open, I guess it would be worth a try.

It is hard to say for sure, but the reason given by Devialet is that the casing has to be sealed under extremely high pressure and they have no way of doing that outside of the factory. I think there is also no way to open one up without breaking it.
(09-May-2017, 12:59)jonstatt Wrote: It is hard to say for sure, but the reason given by Devialet is that the casing has to be sealed under extremely high pressure and they have no way of doing that outside of the factory. I think there is also no way to open one up without breaking it.

This should be rather easy to resolve. New casing on a repaired unit instead of the one that was damaged when it was opened for repair.. easy!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(10-May-2017, 07:28)ogs Wrote:
(09-May-2017, 12:59)jonstatt Wrote: It is hard to say for sure, but the reason given by Devialet is that the casing has to be sealed under extremely high pressure and they have no way of doing that outside of the factory. I think there is also no way to open one up without breaking it.

This should be rather easy to resolve. New casing on a repaired unit instead of the one that was damaged when it was opened for repair.. easy!

Yup. Seems more like they don't want to repair them (and probably aren't setup for it) rather than it's impossible. If you're clever enough to design and manufacture such a device, working out how to reopen it (even if it's terminal for the casework) can't be that hard.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

If they don't want to repair Phantoms they should publish prices for repair-replacements after the warranty period. Cartridge manufacturers have done this *always*. When your MC cart stylus (or any type that has a fixed cantilever/stylus assembly) is worn you need to have it replaced and you'll get a special known price. Even if your cartridge model has been discontinued you can normally replace with a new model.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=4045