Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Room correction with Phantom
(19-Sep-2019, 11:46)Golden Ghost Wrote: I´ve done a  quick  room analysis which resulted to a much lower bass level,
Running on wifi it was  like  a subwoofer was cut down.
Running on Bluetooh  the Ghost are keeping their imponator bass strength.
I have to mention that you can adjust the treble range  via the DSpeaker but
you cannot attenuate the bass range just  raising up...
Welcome to the forum...

If I understand correctly, your chain looks like thus:
TV to Box Connect - optical - DSpeaker - optical - Dialog

I am confused by what you mean when you refer to wifi and bluetooth.  Are there other devices in the music chain?   How do you connect by wifi?  If you are using Bluetooth to the Dialog, you are bypassing the DSpeaker.

Please read the DSpeaker manual carefully.  Done correctly, DSpeaker will improve bass.
Exactly so :TV to Box Connect - optical - DSpeaker - optical - Dialog.

What I mean by Bluetooth is that I tried directly Spotify and Tidal via my mobile.
and as you said by-passing the DSpeaker

Regarding Spotify and Tidal I´ve got those apps installed  on my TV and can play music tracks that way...via WIFI
What I meant with the  DSpeaker is that it took out a part of " the too much Good things going" in the bass range,
The Ghost remind you  quickly that you are living in a flat with neighbourghs around you ,so no earthquake skaking the building Smile
so the DSpeaker room correction help me " tame " the " wildness " of the Ghost and I´m totally satisfied. Big Grin
(11-Oct-2019, 15:38)Golden Ghost Wrote: What I meant with the  DSpeaker is that it took out a part of " the too much Good things going" in the bass range,
The Ghost remind you  quickly that you are living in a flat with neighbourghs around you ,so no earthquake skaking the building Smile
so the DSpeaker room correction help me " tame " the " wildness " of the Ghost and I´m totally satisfied. Big Grin
Good to know you are satisfied. I misread your first post, and thought you were not happy!
It seems there is finally a solution for full range room correction on Phantoms.

The MiniDSP SHD (and SHD Studio which is digital only) has Dirac room correction built-in. By routing L and R to separate SPDIF outputs on the SHD (L to SPDIF1 = OUT1&2, R to SPDIF2 = OUT3&4), then using two iFi SPDIF iPurifiers for conversion to optical (and reclocking) and sending each channel to a Phantom you'd be good to go.
This should be interesting for Dirac fans. As a bonus The SHD now supports Roon streaming to it's ethernet port (24bit) so a setup like this will give you both Roon and Dirac without Dialog and Spark.

Roumors say that Phantoms will be Roon ready 'soon', but we all know about promises from Devialet. Roon ready Phantoms will of course have room correction via Roon's DSP (and all the other nice things Roon gives), but not Dirac. A Dirac correction can only be processed by Dirac itself and can not be used in normal convolution (not entirely true as it is techically possible to send an impulse through Dirac, record the output and use this for convolution in Roon. Very few has the knowledge to do this).
I must say that I have not tried this as I don't have Phantoms. The SHD units also have AES/EBU outputs so can of course be used with Experts or indeed Dutch&Dutch or Kii.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(17-Oct-2019, 10:10)ogs Wrote: It seems there is finally a solution for full range room correction on Phantoms.

The MiniDSP SHD (and SHD Studio which is digital only) has Dirac room correction built-in. By routing L and R to separate SPDIF outputs on the SHD (L to SPDIF1 = OUT1&2, R to SPDIF2 = OUT3&4), then using two iFi SPDIF iPurifiers for conversion to optical (and reclocking) and sending each channel to a Phantom you'd be good to go.

This should be interesting for Dirac fans. As a bonus The SHD now supports Roon streaming to it's ethernet port (24bit) so a setup like this will give you both Roon and Dirac without Dialog and Spark.
Putting L & R to separate digital outputs complicates things. I understand the intention is to get rid of the Dialog, but with upcoming DOS2, it is no longer required. So should be able to feed single digital output to one of the Phantoms.

Agree miniDSP SHD & SHD Studio with Dirac Live are good options but there are other hardware based room correction options. For example, Dspeaker Anti-Mode X4, DEQX Premate.

(17-Oct-2019, 10:10)ogs Wrote: Roumors say that Phantoms will be Roon ready 'soon', but we all know about promises from Devialet. Roon ready Phantoms will of course have room correction via Roon's DSP (and all the other nice things Roon gives), but not Dirac. A Dirac correction can only be processed by Dirac itself and can not be used in normal convolution (not entirely true as it is techically possible to send an impulse through Dirac, record the output and use this for convolution in Roon. Very few has the knowledge to do this).
I must say that I have not tried this as I don't have Phantoms.
Not holding my breath for RAAT on Phantoms and not convinced it will be here soon.  If it is anything like the Expert Pro RAAT release, it will be a bumpy ride for questionable gains.

By the way, can use Roon & its DSP today with a Roon End point streamer that has optical output to the Phantoms.

Roon convolution requires a heavy duty processor. I am using MinimServer convolution filtering to do room correction for the Phantoms and it uses less than 20% of load of same processor with the same impulse.
Absolutely, this is very much a Dirac thing. The SHD Studio is cheap though, just USD 900. The others you mention are more expensive apart from the RPI with a HAT of course.
However, SHD is the only alternative if one wants to send L only and R only to respective Phantoms without Dialog (i.e. Phantom in Solo mode)
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(17-Oct-2019, 12:20)ogs Wrote: However, SHD is the only alternative if one wants to send L only and R only to respective Phantoms without Dialog (i.e. Phantom in Solo mode)

There are other alternatives but, yes, they are few and far between.
You have to think outside the HiFi box to discover them.

I found the RME Digiface, with 4x Toslink outputs, that connects via USB to a PC.

I use this connected to a second hand Dell laptop running Windows music applications, such as Qobuz, Amazon Music HD, Lumin, Tunebrowser etc, through VST ‘room correction’ plugins to ASIO drivers.

I am more than happy with the result and because it is a Windows OS, I could use Dirac, Roon, Volumio or any other new flavour of the month product.

Btw - I am a fan of MiniDSP products having previously had a 10x10 and OpenDRC DIs.
I’m currently using a UDIO-8 to transfer TV/Netflix audio into the laptop for subsequent output through the Digiface post room correction.
(17-Oct-2019, 12:20)ogs Wrote: Absolutely, this is very much a Dirac thing. The SHD Studio is cheap though, just USD 900. The others you mention are more expensive apart from the RPI with a HAT of course.
However, SHD is the only alternative if one wants to send L only and R only to respective Phantoms without Dialog (i.e. Phantom in Solo mode)
Yes, the X4 and DEQX are more expensive, but have better electronics and arguably better room correction capabilities than Dirac LiveI use Dirac Live for my home theatre and investigated using the SHD Studio for the Phantoms. 

After extensive testing, I decided against using the optical input on the Phantom because I preferred the much larger sound stage using UPnP.  It would have been much easier to use the SHD Studio or X4 via optical.  I took the hard and time consuming route of learning and using REW + rePhase to generate the convolution impulse for MinimServer running on a NUC. It is not for everyone, but the results are very good, maybe close to Dirac Live.

By the way, DOS2 update (removing Dialog) is supposedly next month (fingers crossed many times!), so sending L only and R only will no longer be needed.
(17-Oct-2019, 13:28)Snoopy8 Wrote: I preferred the much larger sound stage using UPnP

Yes, I remember you have said this. Hopefully RAAT on Phantoms will match UPnP when it arrives. Pity that optical is no-good on Phantoms.
Devialetless!
(17-Oct-2019, 15:54)ogs Wrote:
(17-Oct-2019, 13:28)Snoopy8 Wrote: I preferred the much larger sound stage using UPnP

Yes, I remember you have said this. Hopefully RAAT on Phantoms will match UPnP when it arrives. Pity that optical is no-good on Phantoms.
On its own, optical is good but when one hears something better like UPnP,  difficult to go back.