Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon and Mutec setup
Hi all,

I've combed through the forum and internet, and still do not have clear answers to the following.  Hopefully someone can help!

1/ Can Roon AIR be used to playback other sources other than Roon e.g. if I played a video in my PC (my Roon Core) can the audio be transmitted via Roon Air?
2/ With Roon AIR potentially being similar SQ to a Mutec MC3 + Ref 10,  are there any reason to invest in the latter?
3/ Are there any lags associated with Mutec MC3 + Ref 10? 
4/ If I go with Roon Air route, should I have direct ethernet connection between RoonCore (which has it's own wifi to internet) and my Devialet?  Or would adding a switch improve SQ?

Many thanks in advance!!

Gabriel
Hi Gabriel,
1: no. For other sources you need the Devialet AIR driver installed. This must be disabled if you want to use Roon/AIR.
2: no, as I have both options I like Roon/AIR better than MC-3/REF10.
3: no, via USB the lag is no problem. With AIR there will be a lag, not sure how big it is.
4: not sure, I'm using AIR via Wifi because I like the SQ more. Maybe because there is no electrical connection.

best regards,
Bernd
Hi Gabriel,

4: Cereal killer has started a thread about direct connection here:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Devialet...on-to-QNAP
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Regarding point 2

I have stated in the past that Roon AIR is very good, but I do not think a comparison with the Mutec MC3+USB is that straight forward, so some points to consider.

Roon AIR and 'traditional' AIR perform to a much higher lever with the Pro amps versus the 'old' Expert.  As an example, I used to run a microRendu to a Mutec MC3+USB as the source for my D800, this was clearly better than AIR.  However, with the 1000Pro, the difference between the microRendu / Mutec MC3+USB and Roon AIR is very small indeed.

Another point to consider is that the Mutec MC3+USB is not a source as such, it needs something to feed it.  I have found that the performance of the MC3+USB is very much dependent upon what you use to feed the MC3+USB.  As an example, I have tried feeding the MC3+USB with a mid priced Blu-ray player, results are average.  Move to the microRendu, much better, move to the SOtM sMS-200Ultra + tX-USBultra, there is a profound difference.

It is also interesting that that changing the feed to the MC3+USB can yield very different results to adding the REF10 to the MC3+USB.  There are a lot of variables here.  

Broadly speaking, if you are looking at a fairly standard PC feeding a Mutec MC3+USB + REF10 combination, then I would pretty much agree with Vivialet's comments in post #2.  (If you have a Pro amp)

A quick comment re point 3.  I am running Roon / HQPlayer / SOtM sMS-200Ultra + tX-USBultra + Mutec MC3+USB.  With this particular set-up I get a latency of somewhere between 2 and 3 seconds, so a lot of lag.  Not much of this latency comes from the MC3+USB though, if I run by Toslink from a TV to the Mutec there is no noticeable latency, lip-sync etc is fine.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thank you Vivialet, Pim, Confused. All valuable response which I much appreciate.

I'll continue to try working with the Roon Air approach (though it's not stable with direct ethernet connection). Otherwise, I'll fall to a PC USB -> Mutec 3 (and maybe Ref 10) -> AES approach albeit a much more expensive approach.

Thank you.
Devialet 250 Pro -> Boenicke W5se
are you sure that you are using Roon AIR ? Roon offers both options, Devialet Air (if installed) and Roon Air. Roon AIR is at the bottom of the device list with a Devialet amp picture. I have also used a direct connection for Ethernet.
Roon AIR is absolutely stable for me with Ethernet and Wifi with beta 14.
(29-May-2018, 17:34)gabbabe Wrote: Thank you Vivialet, Pim, Confused.  All valuable response which I much appreciate.

I'll continue to try working with the Roon Air approach (though it's not stable with direct ethernet connection).  Otherwise, I'll fall to a PC USB -> Mutec 3 (and maybe Ref 10) -> AES approach albeit a much more expensive approach.

Thank you.

Why go for a mutec ref10 option? There’s loads of options out there.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

To a point made earlier, Roon AIR to a Devialet via an ethernet connection is and has been very stable. So before exploring other options, I would humbly suggest reviewing options to stabilize the connection, I don't know your setup or what you have done previously to get a stable connection but perhaps if you share details on how you currently have everything configured and setup, we can assist in attaining a stable connection.

For example, what is your Roon Core connected to, directly to Devialet, or a router or switch? Same question for the Devialet.

What version of the firmware do you have running on the Devialet?

From reading your post are you using WIFI or ethernet on the Roon Core?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
I thought that too but have been using allo digiOne since it cane out and no dropouts at alll. I went back to Roon AIR just out of curiosity (I can’t group the kitchen so won’t use it beyond that) and I had couple short bursts of faint crackles which bought back a lit of bad memories.

Despite Roon making AIR as good as it can be and much more stable I think the underlying technology is just not robust and I think this is part protocol and part hardware. Maybe the CI resolves it through hardware, but in the original experts I don’t trust it.

Personally at the first sign of instability I’d buy a digiOne and move on. The network issue is probably a red herring but that said it’s obviously worth quickly checking the obvious things like swapping cables etc

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(29-May-2018, 18:40)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(29-May-2018, 17:34)gabbabe Wrote: Thank you Vivialet, Pim, Confused.  All valuable response which I much appreciate.

I'll continue to try working with the Roon Air approach (though it's not stable with direct ethernet connection).  Otherwise, I'll fall to a PC USB -> Mutec 3 (and maybe Ref 10) -> AES approach albeit a much more expensive approach.

Thank you.

Why go for a mutec ref10 option? There’s loads of options out there.

I'm seeing positive feedback on this device; though alternatives like Cybershaft seems to be of good value.
Devialet 250 Pro -> Boenicke W5se