Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon - the next step?
(23-Oct-2018, 10:53)Womaz Wrote: Well I am another 7 months down the line and it is maybe time to resurrect this thread.  I have been using my lap top as the Roon core for all this time but I now think it is time to get back to my original intention. A product that will store my music and act as  a Roon Core.
After a couple of days doing internet searches it appears that there are a not a lot of new options.
Innuos and Roon Nucleus appear to be the main options and Innuos appears the more complete option as it has the HD capacity already installed.
My Melco has been unplugged for 7 months basically so I think it is time to replace it. It will become Roon ready in the near future apparently but only as an endpoint and I am keen to get the lap top out of the chain as was originally intended.

Do you need a turnkey solution Womaz?
Whats the reason for wanting the laptop out of the chain? Is it perceived SQ reduction or lack of convenience?

I suggest a computer as a core server, and something like an Allo digiOne. I bought a used Mac mini. I run it headless on a shelf and it’s minimal fuss and works fine. You can connect over ethernet with Roons air if you don’t need grouping.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(23-Oct-2018, 20:21)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(23-Oct-2018, 10:53)Womaz Wrote: Well I am another 7 months down the line and it is maybe time to resurrect this thread.  I have been using my lap top as the Roon core for all this time but I now think it is time to get back to my original intention. A product that will store my music and act as  a Roon Core.
After a couple of days doing internet searches it appears that there are a not a lot of new options.
Innuos and Roon Nucleus appear to be the main options and Innuos appears the more complete option as it has the HD capacity already installed.
My Melco has been unplugged for 7 months basically so I think it is time to replace it. It will become Roon ready in the near future apparently but only as an endpoint and I am keen to get the lap top out of the chain as was originally intended.

Do you need a turnkey solution Womaz?
Whats the reason for wanting the laptop out of the chain? Is it perceived SQ reduction or lack of convenience?

I suggest a computer as a core server, and something like an Allo digiOne.   I bought a used Mac mini. I run it headless on a shelf and it’s minimal fuss and works fine. You can connect over ethernet with Roons air if you don’t need grouping.

I have always wanted the lap top out of the equation as I just want my Hi-Fi to be operational without it
Also in my system USB gives a better result sound quality wise than Ethernet . I could keep the Melco as it will act as a roon endpoint in the near future apparently , but this would still need the lap top as the roon server. It’s a consideration I guess as this would give me the usb connection I would like. Idea.ly I want a one box solution attached to my 200 via usb
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(23-Oct-2018, 18:07)Womaz Wrote:
(23-Oct-2018, 18:00)midi Wrote:
(23-Oct-2018, 17:50)ghosttipper Wrote: The hardware of the all new Innous  MK 3 units are not good enough versus Nucleus (+)

Innuos MK II is good enough if you don’t need DSD.

I dont need DSD so yes this is an option although I would imagine there could be difficulties obtaining this if it is an older model.

See here, ROON CORE is possible with the new MK.III:

http://innuos.com/uploads/cms/docs/Innuo...er_web.pdf

I have never had any problems with my Innuos MKII as a ROON CORE (playing no DSD). I can´t imagine you would get any problems with the newer MKIII.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
One thing is for sure, the Innuos range is getting a good reputation for sound quality, I have read a few niggles re operability, but nothing serious. Another product that is getting very good reports, and would suit your requirements, is the Antipodes EX. It's not cheap though:

https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/Antipodes_Au...96914.aspx

I note your comments re getting your laptop out of the system, but I can't help thinking that you could buy a new 100% dedicated to audio laptop with i7 processor, a microRendu, and have change from £1000. This would give you a nice screen to look at your album artwork too.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
The new Lumin u1 mini looks promising too and gives you the choice of usb, aes, and rca.
But you’d still need a backend computer for your core. Nuc with rock or Mac or laptop would all do it.

Most turnkey core capable kit is pricey because it’s essentially combining a decently powered computer into the same box. Aries g2 is another.
It’s also going to devalue really quickly.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I have just bought a new lap top and have set roon up on this but I really don’t like the lap top as part of my music chain.
If I was to have a lap top in the chain then I may as well keep the Melco and the pc option. That’s how I see it.
I am very keen to use usb as this brings big improvement in sound in my system .......a lot to ponder but mostly I want simplicity moving forward and less componsmts if possible.
At present the new lap top is connected via usb and after a week I am sick of the sight of it sitting next to my Hi-Fi :-)
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Sonic Transporter, maybe with mR?  You could hide it out of sight?

https://www.vortexbox.co.uk/SGC_Sonic_Tr...27482.aspx
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(23-Oct-2018, 22:21)Confused Wrote: Sonic Transporter, maybe with mR?  You could hide it out of sight?

ONE BOX!!!  Big Grin  Big Grin  like I say a lot to ponder.
I am not that good with all of this as you know and I only realised today that when Melco is roon ready I can have my usb connection and have the lap top in other room as the roon core ......this was after a few days of contemplation and finally deciding to get rid of it Big Grin
(23-Oct-2018, 22:26)Womaz Wrote:
(23-Oct-2018, 22:21)Confused Wrote: Sonic Transporter, maybe with mR?  You could hide it out of sight?

I am not that good with all of this as you know and I only realised today that when Melco is roon ready I can have my usb connection and have the lap top in other room as the roon core ......this was after a few days of contemplation and finally deciding to get rid of it  Big Grin

You could glue them together? Sad
(23-Oct-2018, 22:43)Confused Wrote:
(23-Oct-2018, 22:26)Womaz Wrote:

I am not that good with all of this as you know and I only realised today that when Melco is roon ready I can have my usb connection and have the lap top in other room as the roon core ......this was after a few days of contemplation and finally deciding to get rid of it  Big Grin

You could glue them together? Sad

Big Grin

When’s the last time you tried RoonAIR Womaz? I’m convinced it’s the simplest and best setup of your current options for Roon, and you can hide the laptop out of sight and use an iPad to control it. And reinstate the Mel or if it becomes Roonified. Then you don’t need to buy anything.... but only you can decide....