Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mac Mini (El Capitan) -> USB -> Dev200 problem
@canyelles - while this probably wont solve your problem, if you are using an iMac to control your headless Mac Mini all the time ( I use screen sharing from my Macbook to Mac Mini very rarely, only to turn off the Mac Mini ), then a dongle can aid in speeding up the performance of screen sharing.

This article provides some color, there are many vendors who make these type of video dongles/accelerators for those who run their Mac Mini's headless and do alot of screen sharing.

http://blog.macsales.com/25997-headless-...ld-problem

http://blog.macminicolo.net/post/3383967...s-mac-mini

http://www.amazon.com/CompuLab-fit-Headl...B00FLZXGJ6
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
baddog, thanks very much for this but I have been using one all the time, perhaps I should have mentioned that.

Also the error messages in the log (which may or may not have anything to do with the USB issue) have reappeared.

I have tried cutting out any processes that seem unnecessary, I don't know where else to go now. I think I will just have to use airplay and hope that a subsequent OS X update fixes it.

Thanks
mac mini (2018, Latest MacOS, plain old iTunes) > no name USB cable or AIR3 over ethernet -> Devialet 200 -> Kimber 8TC -> KEF LS50
For the time being you can use Audirvana on top of iTunes. It is completely transparent for iTunes. I have exactly the same set-up as you with Audirvana and absolutely no issue. If the problem still appears it will be not linked to the OS probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PS Audio P3 - Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI - Tanagra Audio Iris - Micromega CD-30 - Roon - Mac Mini - Entreq Silver Minimus Apollo Eartha RCA - Shunyata Omega Ethernet - Dela S100/OP-S100
(02-Nov-2015, 10:45)philoouu Wrote: For the time being you can use Audirvana on top of iTunes. It is completely transparent for iTunes. I have exactly the same set-up as you with Audirvana and absolutely no issue. If the problem still appears it will be not linked to the OS probably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for replying but I don't see how that will help.

I don't think there is any problem with iTunes, I think the problem is associated with USB.

I am able to use iTunes with airplay with no issues whatsoever and that is what I intend to do until the problem is resolved one way or the other.
mac mini (2018, Latest MacOS, plain old iTunes) > no name USB cable or AIR3 over ethernet -> Devialet 200 -> Kimber 8TC -> KEF LS50
Have you contacted Apple? I have had good experiences with their support. Tell them you are running into a problem that was not there before you upgraded to El Capitan. They may want to see your  log files.
iMac 2021, Roon, home wifi, Devialet Phantom I x 2
(26-Oct-2015, 10:19)canyelles Wrote: It went wrong yesterday, just after I started playing some music (so much for my theory)

The console contains 100s of these messages

25/10/2015 13:55:10.000 kernel[0]: USB Sound assertion in /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleUSBAudio/AppleUSBAudio-301.52/AppleUSBAudioStream.cpp at line 2867
25/10/2015 13:55:10.000 kernel[0]: USB Sound assertion in /BuildRoot/Library/Caches/com.apple.xbs/Sources/AppleUSBAudio/AppleUSBAudio-301.52/AppleUSBAudioStream.cpp at line 2867

Interesting but doesn't really help me to decide who to chase. Both?

Just today got the distortion for the first time. AND I got the same message as above. So we might be on the right path here. Interesting that I haven't had the problem when first 'upgrading' to the captain but only had drop outs. Because of the drop outs I did update to the latest version of the firmware and now, a week or so later, this started. If this continues I'm going to have to look into 'down grading' to Yosemite.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
You might also consider reinstalling El Capitan. I use USB and have had no problems at all. Without sounding too repetitious I might again suggest running a program such as Cocktail. It cleans up quite a few functions.
iMac 2021, Roon, home wifi, Devialet Phantom I x 2
I gave it some thought. I never had any dramas with Yosemite and all I do with this Mac is play tunes and read this site and others. So going back to Yosemite makes sense. The only problem is that The ol' Captain won't let me install Yosemite anymore.

Does anyone know a way to get around this?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I believe, although I have never tried it, that the easiest way to go back is to make use of a time machine backup.

It might be worth while waiting for 10.11.2. Apple were asking beta testers to test USB. I have no idea though whether there will be a solution in 10.11.2.

I am currently experimenting with using BitPerfect in conjunction with iTunes. There are a lot of options though so it will be a while before I have any idea whether it is helping.

I did finally get rid of the 'Dumping Gesture Focus Records' messages - it appears to have been a problem with switchresx, some software I was using to get extra resolution on my virtual screen. It took me a while to remove all traces of it but now I no longer have those messages. The distortion was still present afterwards though.