Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roonready device with AES output?
Per above comment on Roon, Windows and USB and Devialet. I have a D400 and have had nary a problem when using either RoonServer, or RoonBridge running under Windows 10 ( either a Mac Mini or HP Laptop ) connected to my D400 via USB. FWIW.

What kind of issues have you experienced ( @Dr Tone ). But maybe this doesn't matter as you are looking for an AES solution?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(15-Apr-2016, 02:18)hk6230 Wrote: I'm sorry AIR doesn't work for you. BTW, DSD64 works on AIR.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 Tapatalk

I just installed Air on my Windows Server 2012 R2 box where my RoonServer resides.  Air hard crashed immediately as soon as I tried using it.  So you can't say I didn't try.   Sad
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

(15-Apr-2016, 04:18)baddog Wrote: Per above comment on Roon, Windows and USB and Devialet. I have a D400 and have had nary a problem when using either RoonServer, or RoonBridge running under Windows 10 ( either a Mac Mini or HP Laptop ) connected to my D400 via USB. FWIW.

What kind of issues have you experienced ( @Dr Tone ). But maybe this doesn't matter as you are looking for an AES solution?

Well it started with ASIO, as soon as I try playing DSD it caused the device to go into an infinite loop.

WASAPI wasn't showing up but I eventually got that straightened out with a tweak to my RDP connection and a reboot.  Once I got it going I thought it sounded a little thin in comparison to my Touch so I started reading all the which input sounds best threads.  I must have money burning a hole in my pocket or something.  Sigh!
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

RoonServer> Macbook > USB>Devialet : Its not stable initially for about 15mins of play. drops couple of times. once past it gets quite stable. I have stupid USB cable. I can update once my AQ Jitterbug+ AQ USB's arrive. I can also blame it to some background software working etc and after 15mins, I'm guessing the S/w pings stops and hence there is stability ?

Now how about some one (hk) try with RoonServer > NUC > USB > Devialet - works stable?. I mean truly a cold start.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
(15-Apr-2016, 08:53)Jnan_devi Wrote: RoonServer> Macbook > USB>Devialet : Its not stable initially for about 15mins of play. drops couple of times. once past it gets quite stable. I have stupid USB cable. I can update once my AQ Jitterbug+ AQ USB's arrive. I can also blame it to some background software working etc and after 15mins, I'm guessing the S/w pings stops and hence there is stability ?

Now how about some one (hk) try with RoonServer > NUC > USB > Devialet - works stable?. I mean truly a cold start.

My AIR is working fine from cold, and playing from 16/44.1 to 24/192 and DSD64. As for USB, as far as I recalled, I never have issue. Since AIR is working well, I have removed USB including Devialet's USB driver from my NUC.

Jnan: We are off-topic here. Sorry Dr. Tone.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

To be honest, I have heard (or rather read) that AES input gives the best SQ for Devialet and like Dr. Tone, I would like to see if there will be a good price/performance streamer with AES output and is RoonReady available now or in the near future.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

(15-Apr-2016, 09:14)hk6230 Wrote: My AIR is working fine from cold, and playing from 16/44.1 to 24/192 and DSD64. As for USB, as far as I recalled, I never have issue. Since AIR is working well, I have removed USB including Devialet's USB driver from my NUC.

Jnan: We are off-topic here. Sorry Dr. Tone.

Right apologies, bear with me on this, will not continue after this. However the comments was towards better dedicated H/w like NUC Vs Using laptop/computer.

And there is "use Max Hardware if supported" and "Use Power-of-2 Hardware Size" under Roon zone settings. I tried for AIR and there it was, cracked up for the first time. Then after 15mins or so, white noise again.

Dr Tone on Roon, can give it a shot with above settings. May get lucky, while streamers with AES + Roon figured.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
(14-Apr-2016, 19:58)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(14-Apr-2016, 19:03)Dr Tone Wrote: Anything outside the Auralic Aries?

Totaldac d1, not Roon certified yet though.

Guillaume

Any idea how certification's coming on Guillaume? Would love to hear how it sounds as a Roon endpoint.

I saw some generic comments on the Roon forums that some brands were struggling with certification, most often due to the device code needing to be adjusted to allow access to features that Roon requires etc, the ease of which depended on their original code so not always simple. The implication was a few brands had come across some 'gotchas' during the process. But interestingly, the smaller companies seem to have become certified first - whether that's just due to fewer coders involved, or individuals that make the code and the hardware and run the business so can make the changes quicker, I've no idea. Maybe their hardware is simpler? Bryston appeared 'nearly' ready ages ago, but then I read lately they are still 'a way off'.

I think its good to have solid QA - especially having experienced the AIR fiasco - but hopefully they're not making it too difficult. Would be great to have some more endpoints out there. I think a lot of people are in the same position as Dr Tone, and many have an allergic reaction to the mention of USB so totalDAC would probably do well to get it out there…

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(15-Apr-2016, 08:53)Jnan_devi Wrote: RoonServer> Macbook > USB>Devialet : Its not stable initially for about 15mins of play. drops couple of times. once past it gets quite stable. I have stupid USB cable. I can update once my AQ Jitterbug+ AQ USB's arrive. I can also blame it to some background software working etc and after 15mins, I'm guessing the S/w pings stops and hence there is stability ?

RoonServer > macMini > USB > Devialet has been pretty much rock solid for me.

I'd suggest a check over of your cable/ports Jnan_devi, 15 mins of instability sounds really wrong….

@Dr Tone, I don't think it exists yet. You could convert USB>AES? From everything I've read the two most likely candidates would be the Berkeley Alpha USB - which several CA people still say is the best despite it now getting on a bit, or maybe snap up the Mutec MC3 USB thingy if still in the classifieds.  Not technically pass-through for DSD, but it gets a lot of good feedback here and elsewhere if you like the studio type kit.  I know one forum member (can't remember which I get confused from the different forums) says there's another German offering like the Mutec.

But I think there will be more RoonReady offerings pretty soon and I'm sure some will have AES. If I were a manufacturer I would have been waiting for 1.2 and getting it tested there before releasing.

I think  the microRendu will be within a month based on the Axpona show, general chatter, and the review sample being out, but what do I know…….  It won't help you with keeping the USB port free though I suppose…

(apologies to Confused who I initially thought had asked the question)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Dr Tone - I see Antipodes DX or DS "Ethernet plus either USB Audio 2.0, -OR- Conventional S/PDIF, AES3, Toslink, -OR- both"

In the past Antipodes were big fan of "USB only". Now I see they have given up the USB only lecture on their main page, but added AES, ETH, USB and you can specifically ask what you want and save money or pay more to get all of them - Thats Nice.

They are not RoonReady. They have all hardware stacked up for Running Roon.