Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roonready device with AES output?
(19-Apr-2016, 10:56)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(19-Apr-2016, 10:44)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(19-Apr-2016, 10:25)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Looks like the totalDAC's have now joined the 'Roon Ready' club.

https://roonlabs.com/partner-totaldac.html

Super! Now is it possible to run Roon Core on my QNAP where all my music files reside?

If so things could be about to get interesting.  Smile

Guillaume

Sort of, depending on what one you've got and how much effort/time you want to invest.  There's no 'official version' as yet, and they still seem to be of the opinion that they aren't happy with the performance / user experience using a NAS as a RoonServer Core.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/how-to-...p-nas/6996 - this person tried via VM Windows and Linux in this topic.

Thanks, will take a look. So I'd probably have to set up another PC or Mac in the chain then... probably not going to happen. I am just too used to having everything sitting on a QNAP with minimal fuss and RAID redundancy. In fact my whole system is optimised around this. 

The other showstopper for me is the lack of Qobuz integration since I just can't get on with Tidal. I know it's not ROON's fault but still an important consideration...

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(19-Apr-2016, 16:52)GuillaumeB Wrote: Thanks, will take a look. So I'd probably have to set up another PC or Mac in the chain then... probably not going to happen. I am just too used to having everything sitting on a QNAP with minimal fuss and RAID redundancy. In fact my whole system is optimised around this. 

The other showstopper for me is the lack of Qobuz integration since I just can't get on with Tidal. I know it's not ROON's fault but still an important consideration...

Guillaume

The music could stay on your NAS, but the Core with all the database stuff would need a Mac/PC ideally - at least for now.

The chain in your case would be NAS > Core Machine > totalDAC.

If you ever get time/inclination would be interesting to see if there are any benefits using RAAT on your totaDAC vs your current config…

I see them softening their position on the NAS Core thing. Plenty of people feel for smaller libraries (maybe 1,000 or so albums) a NAS or even a Pi3 would be OK for the database. I guess time will tell - if a lot of people want something they often get it with Roon if its within their reach.

Qobuz is truly annoying. It actually has a lot of the music I listen to, but I just don't like it as a 'brand' and music focus, and I don't like their iOS apps pr desktop apps. Which is fine with Roon itself at home because mostly its hidden, but unless I want to pay for multiple services it means Im forced into the Tidal App at work etc. Maybe one day it will come, but I've got a feeling its a slim chance.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

From Antipodes News Page: http://antipodesaudio.com

Antipodes & Roon

Roon Labs has released Roon v1.2 which provides us with a full release of Roon on Linux for the first time. We can report that this new release is undoubtedly better sounding and is now the best audio quality option with Antipodes servers. We have fully integrated both Roon Server and RoonReady in Antipodes 2, and Roon can be used in three key ways: including two different ways to use Roon direct to a DAC, via USB, S/PDIF, AES3 or TOSLINK; as well as to use Roon Server conventionally to serve music to RoonReady and Bridge devices on your network.

One of the direct methods bypasses all unnecessary playback steps for by far the best sound we have ever heard. Roon on an Antipodes server has turned out to not just be the addition of the world's best player GUI interface, but also a clear enhancement to sound quality.

(Apologies if it's been posted before - launching at Munich apparently)

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(15-Apr-2016, 12:34)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(15-Apr-2016, 08:53)Jnan_devi Wrote: RoonServer> Macbook > USB>Devialet : Its not stable initially for about 15mins of play. drops couple of times. once past it gets quite stable. I have stupid USB cable. I can update once my AQ Jitterbug+ AQ USB's arrive. I can also blame it to some background software working etc and after 15mins, I'm guessing the S/w pings stops and hence there is stability ?

RoonServer > macMini > USB > Devialet has been pretty much rock solid for me.

I'd suggest a check over of your cable/ports Jnan_devi, 15 mins of instability sounds really wrong….

Today I received AQ USB (Cinnamon) cable and AQ Jitter-Bug.
I did Cold start on Dev, replaced old cable with AQ cable + Jitter-Bug >> No Drops ran perfectly.
Just to try I put back old cable >> got immediate drops within first track itself (couple of drops)
Then I inserted Jitter-Bug in between Old USB cable and MacBook >> No drops
Looks like Jitter-Bug is helping the USB cable (Old or AQ). I will try AQ Cable only tomorrow with a cold start.

Earlier I had suspected Cable, MacBook-Air, S/W, Roon, Wifi ... Now i m happy to converge that its the old Cable which was causing the drops. Easy to fix!

Thanks for inputs.
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"