Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S/PDIF to AES/EBU Link and Audioprana Hybrid Cable
Hi guys

I just wanted to say I received my Audioprana cable link on Friday.  It replaced the Crystal S/PDIF cable that came with my 400s.  I won't go into a long discussion at this time, but the switch to the Audioprana was huge.  Easy, easy, easy to tell the improvements right off the bat. 

Now I don't know how much of the difference was due to the Audioprana cable and how much was due to switching from SP/DIF-SP/DIF link to the hybrid S/PDIF master to AES/EBU slave link, but please please if you have 400 or 800 monoblocks you owe it to yourself to at least try the hybrid link, if not the Audioprana cable, especially if you are still using the supplied crystal cable.

I know that Foggy916 recently returned his Audioprana purchase, finding the Audioprana too 'soft' sounding, but for me in my system, I found there was far more musical detail than I had with the Crystal. 

I'll post more once I get a better handle on the differences, but suffice to say, I'm not returning the Audioprana cable.

I would really like to compare the Audioprana to the Transparent XL SP/DIF-SP/DIF one day.  If I can get one used at 60% of US retail or less, maybe I'll take the plunge.  Until then, the AP is my goto link.

Music First!

Kerry

P.S Thanks for the recommendation Guillaume. I owe you one

Disclaimer: I don't work for or know Audioprana personally, nor am I getting any kind of product price break for this  Wink
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
I asked the electrician to made AES - SPDIF for my d400, with 110 ohm digital cable ( i guess they use belden), neutrik connector. The difference is immediate audible, it turned the sonic more liquid. I used the default cable and get a chance to use ASI liveline from my spare as well ( both were SPDIF)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(24-May-2015, 03:40)milk_vanilla Wrote: I asked the electrician to made AES - SPDIF for my d400, with 110 ohm digital cable ( i guess they use belden), neutrik connector. The difference is immediate audible,  it turned the sonic more liquid. I used the default cable and get a chance to use ASI liveline from my spare as well ( both were SPDIF)

More liquid yes, better soundstage depth, width, dynamics attack and detail.  In general, more 'musical' than the Crystal.....

Kerry 
Laufer Teknik Memory Player - Atlas Mavros S/PDIF x 2 - Mutec MC-3+ USB Reclocker - Sablon Panatella BNC-SPDIF Digital Cable - LampizatOr Big 7 Tube DAC
Ayre Acoustics AX5-Twenty Amplifier - Rockport Technologies Cygnus Loudspeakers - Rel Gibralter G1 Six Pack Subs - Siltech Princess XLR - Ear to Ear Cables and PCs - Canada
Hi Kerry I fully agree with your findings. I initially used an XLR cable with a Neutrik RCA adapter and it was a big improvement over the stock RCA link.

Later when I further upgraded to Audioprana all silver there was additional improvement but not as significant as changing from RCA-RCA to RCA-XLR

Aurender X100L / Transrotor Crescendo TT / Denon DCD1520 / Macbook Pro >> D400 >> Martin Logan Montis
amabrok's system - Latest update (May 2015, Page 11, Post #109)

Dubai, UAE
Well I can draw the conclusion that the AES/EBU input is better as all us reporting better performance with this input regardless of cable.

/Mike
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
(25-May-2015, 18:51)Mikeeo Wrote: Well I can draw the conclusion that the AES/EBU input is better as all us reporting better performance with this input regardless of cable.

/Mike

Unless I am missing something, if one is to use the SP/DIF - AES/EBU link, the only options other than the Audioprana are a SP/DIF or AES/EBU digital cable with the appropriate adapter at one end or the other, or a home brew SP/DIF - AES/EBU cable?

Kerry 
If I understand correctly, this is just a AES/EBU cable with on one end a RCA plug instead of the normal XLR end? (like the other end) If not, what is needed to make it work like the audioprana and cabledyne version link?
Stereo: Sonus Faber Amati Futura - Graphite -> Yter Loudspeaker Cable -> Devialet D250 - Chrome -> LessLoss DFPC Orginal Powercord
Source: Mac Mini -> Devialet Air Ethernet
Control: iPad Air / iPhone 5S -> Apple Remote
I have the Cabledyne at home plus my own RCA or BNC to XLR diy's. I am pretty certain that some manufacturers will put together a 'tailored' cable if you just ask them. Or why not diy!?

/M
Ex D400 Now Aavik U-300/Feickert Woodpecker2-Kuzma 4P-Kondo silver-Benz LPS-Teddy Pardo PSU/Naim Unitiserve-Teddy Pardo PSU/SF Guarneri Homage/Whole system decoupled by Ansuz DTC/Cables from Ansuz, DYI and other commercial/Dedicated mains and spur-Lampizator SILK
Acoustic Zen makes a 110 Ohm digital cable that can be terminated as you desire.
Synology 713+ -> Aurender N10 -> D 200 -> Legacy Audio Focus SE speakers. ClearAudio Emotion TT. Synergistic Atmosphere Level 3 UEF Speaker and Galileo (USB) Interconnects and Synergistic PowerCell UEF S - Virginia U. S. A.
(25-May-2015, 21:24)IGuardianI Wrote: If I understand correctly, this is just a AES/EBU cable with on one end a RCA plug instead of the normal XLR end? (like the other end) If not, what is needed to make it work like the audioprana and cabledyne version link?

I can't speak to the cabledyne hybrid, but according to Audioprana, their cable has a 75/110 ohm transformer (under the wooden centrepiece) with an RCA connector on one side and an XLR connector on the other.

Kerry