Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
S/PDIF to AES/EBU with 110ohm cable.
I have read alot about the link cable and talked to other forum members about it and was thinking about the cable between them when you use S/PDIF out to AES/EBU in on the slave.

Does it matter if you use a 75ohm 2 lead (center + screen) or a 110ohm 3 lead (twisted pair + screen) cable?

I found an article about this but it is for analog signals and I dont know if this is useful for digital signals, I think I have seen in some thread here that it mayby was not so bad to use a 110ohm cable but i cant find it now.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/conne..._versa/P2/
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(09-Jun-2015, 19:48)octaviars Wrote: I have read alot about the link cable and talked to other forum members about it and was thinking about the cable between them when you use S/PDIF out to AES/EBU in on the slave.

Does it matter if you use a 75ohm 2 lead (center + screen) or a 110ohm 3 lead (twisted pair + screen) cable?

I found an article about this but it is for analog signals and I dont know if this is useful for digital signals, I think I have seen in some thread here that it mayby was not so bad to use a 110ohm cable but i cant find it now.

http://www.prosoundweb.com/article/conne..._versa/P2/

I would like to know the same.
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
check out these products:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/36...hm_to.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/40...hm_to.html

110ohm to 75 ohm inline transformer and 75 to 110 ohm inline transformer.

with these you could run whichever cable you want, and then just use the adapter.

if it were me for your situation - i would use a spdif cable into the 75 to 110 ohm adapter plugged straight into the aes input.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
But do you need a transformer? If I am correct the aes input on the Devialet is transformer coupled and Devialet uses no transformer in its drawings on the website to connect spdif to aes on the slave. Today I use the Crystal cable with a rca female to xlr adapter so I can use the aes input.
I ordered a Neutrik adapter rca male to xlr and is going to test with my Taralab digital xlr cable if it is better than the original Crystal cable that came with the companion.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

I am using a generic RCA to xlr microphone lead which was supplied by my dealer when I bought my second D-Premier. I did use a 75 ohm digital RCA-RCA for a while whilst I was using the inputs on the slave but feeling the 800 stereo was not as good as the pair of D-Premiers I went back to the old cable and not using the slave inputs.
I can't say I noticed a difference.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Whether it matters or not is probably worth emailing the dev team about.
Amp - Devialet 400 Speakers - vivid audio B1 Speaker cable - audioquest oak Power conditioner - furman SPR 16IE Source - audio PC with paul pang audio usb card v3 and paul pang red dual usb cable running through jplay. usb card powered by teddy pardo power supply Source 2 - line in from integra AV receiver (TV)
(16-Jun-2015, 16:46)octaviars Wrote:  If I am correct the aes input on the Devialet is transformer coupled and Devialet uses no transformer in its drawings on the website to connect spdif to aes on the slave. 

Where are these drawings on the Devialet web page?
D400; Stereolab Tombo Tron coaxial for master -> slave; Kubala-Sosna Elation interconnects, power, and speaker cables; Spendor D7 speakers; Bryston BDP-2 w. latest sound card & upgraded fuses; Bybee Stealth Power Purifier conditioner connected with IsoTek EVO3 Syncro SE to wall socket
I am going to build my own link cable with Oyaide cable, WBT 0110 Ag rca and Neutrik xlr contacts and the only thing left now is to choose 75 ohm coax or 110 ohm tvisted pair cable. Maybe the safest way is to go with the 75 Ohm coax.

Second system

i think the safest bet is to simply email devialet and ask the question!
(17-Jun-2015, 08:21)completeluxury Wrote: i think the safest bet is to simply email devialet and ask the question!

Which question?
There are many possible questions.