Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM bass extension in Phantom
Excuse me if everybody has already seen this, but a while ago there was discussion about the bass extension of SAM and consideration of the fact that the DSP bass correction will need to be reduced as loudness increases.
Obviously this is very variable on SAMmed normal speakers, a LS3/5a will obviously be more max volume limited than something with 2 10" drivers but for Phantom the spec shows how it varies:-

16Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 82dB SPL, 28Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 92dB SPL, 49Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 102dB SPL
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

that was something I was asking myself as soon as I read the claims about 16hz - 25khz.
Because 16hz at 105SPL is physically not possible with the size of the woofers and their maximum swing.
So at maximum SPL the subbass is cut off quit a bit.

For home theater use with reference spl you hardly get earthshaking subbass rumble.
Are those specs for both White and Silver, except for the frequency response at 102 dB?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(22-Jul-2015, 17:08)f1eng Wrote: Excuse me if everybody has already seen this, but a while ago there was discussion about the bass extension of SAM and consideration of the fact that the DSP bass correction will need to be reduced as loudness increases.
Obviously this is very variable on SAMmed normal speakers, a LS3/5a will obviously be more max volume limited than something with 2 10" drivers but for Phantom the spec shows how it varies:-

16Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 82dB SPL, 28Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 92dB SPL, 49Hz to 25kHz ± 2dB at 102dB SPL

Does this mean that I can only get 16Hz with Phantom, if dB level is from 82 to 92?

Thanks.
(23-Jul-2015, 17:48)Dvlt PhD Wrote:
(22-Jul-2015, 17:08)f1eng Wrote: Excuse me if everybody has already seen this, but a while ago there was discussion about the bass extension of SAM and consideration of the fact that the DSP bass correction will need to be reduced as loudness increases.

Does this mean that I can only get 16Hz with Phantom, if dB level is from 82 to 92?

Thanks.

No. 16Hz for any sound level up to 82dB. Then presumably progressively less until 28Hz at 92dB and so forth.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I think it is a bit of a dangerous game, reading too much into equipment specifications. However, the above does make me think about my experience listening to the Phantoms at the recent OAC event. I posted previously about the Phantoms and the now slightly infamous Rudimental "Spoons" track. This has the most extreme low bass of any piece of music I have come across, so is not really representative of normal use, but the lowest bass section is on the limit of audibility (so not far off 16Hz), and is totally sustained for a couple of seconds. I cannot say for sure what volume level we were listening at, but a touch above 82dB would be possible, and yes, the Phantoms did struggle slightly, the bass was audibly being ramped down, and just after the low bass section the music became quieter for maybe about a second or so, as if some kind of thermal protection was kicking in. (although it was also very hot in the demo room). So we did manage to find some kind of limit to the Phantoms powers, which, perhaps a touch subjectively, does appear to be in line with the raw numbers above. To be honest, in the real world this is all fairly irrelevant. Other than for these few seconds on the most extreme piece of music known to humanity, the Phantoms didn't miss a beat and sounded like they were cruising all day with a myriad of bass heavy material.
Thanks, f1eng, and Confused. Smile