Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SF Olympica IIIs
(02-Apr-2020, 18:02)Drifter Wrote:
(02-Apr-2020, 06:00)georgev Wrote: This system is pretty good once the pass is warmed up.
Only issue, at times is dropouts now and again as the dp is not hardwired.
Streaming via AIR and the Access Point is just behind it.
Get a stronger AP? Get a Roon ready streamer?

You have some amazing toys there George.
I wish Cape Town was close to Johannesburg, then I would have made a nuisance of myself popping over for regular visits  Tongue

You are welcome anytime you come to Joburg Heine.
Music Room:
Devialet ODA, Vivid Audio G2 Series 2, Linn LP 12, Hercules, Ekos Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Achromat, Dewaudio Starmap and Startrail, Magnum Dynalab Tuner, Theta Transport, Kimber KS 2120 Digital, VD Hul Suernova. 
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Bedroom: Ming Da 300B pre, Pass Labs XA 30.5, Sonus Faber Olympica III, Aqua La Scala dac, Ifi Zen Stream

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
(03-Apr-2020, 05:36)sfdude Wrote: Very nice georgev! I am curious why you used a Pass amp and the D-Premier as a pre.

As for your dropouts, how is your AP set up? Connected via Ethernet cable to a switch/router? Mine is a little unconventional in that I have no Ethernet jacks near my Dev 220 so I use a Unifi wireless Access Point in wireless bridge mode to another Unifi AP that is connected via PoE (powered Ethernet connection) to the switch/router. This works OK but will have to determine a better solution to hardwire from switch to the Dev 220.

With regards the Dev as Pre:
So it's a long winded journey in some ways.I had previously in the room, a pair of D Prems running a pair of Vivid Audio G3's. Needless to say really great sounding system.
Then upgraded one of the D Prem to a 250Ci, and was enjoying it. Recall that my main rig has a very similar sound(or lack), though on a grander scale(G2 and O'dA), i was in my mind thinking a "different" sound?
Someone comes along and wanted my G3's and 250Ci, with my Transparent Speaker cables(sob sob), and was willing to pay well. couple that with me thinking that, this is a lot of funds tied up in Audio, i sold. always knew i would want some music in that room, but thought along the lines perhaps KEF Active LSW 50, Sonos, maybe even Phantom. Missed the music quite a bit and missed good quality music.
Along came the opportunity to get the Pass VA 30.5, and the SF as well at decent cost, but this leaves me still needing the pre, dac, phono etc. Have the D Prem and so using it.
Also an opportunity to "play" around with different equipment?Have bought a Ming Da 300b Pre that i am going to try with the Pass after the lockdown.
So far, at lower volumes in my room and to my ears, the sound is not as full as compared to the DP, but once warm(hot), and at higher volumes, the Mids and Highs are actually gobsmackingly good.My impressions thus far.
was i lacking in sound with just the DP? i am not sure, at times i don't think so, and at times i do wonder.
Hence my intention to try to pasively bi-amp the speakers, using the DP to drive the LF and the Pass to drive the upper ranges.Exciting hobby this. and enjoyable.
Music Room:
Devialet ODA, Vivid Audio G2 Series 2, Linn LP 12, Hercules, Ekos Ortofon Cadenza Blue, Achromat, Dewaudio Starmap and Startrail, Magnum Dynalab Tuner, Theta Transport, Kimber KS 2120 Digital, VD Hul Suernova. 
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Bedroom: Ming Da 300B pre, Pass Labs XA 30.5, Sonus Faber Olympica III, Aqua La Scala dac, Ifi Zen Stream

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
(03-Apr-2020, 08:59)georgev Wrote: So far, at lower volumes in my room and to my ears, the sound is not as full as compared to the DP, but once warm(hot), and at higher volumes, the Mids and Highs are actually gobsmackingly good.My impressions thus far.
was i lacking in sound with just the DP? i am not sure, at times i don't think so, and at times i do wonder.
Hence my intention to try to pasively bi-amp the speakers, using the DP to drive the LF and the Pass to drive the upper ranges.Exciting hobby this. and enjoyable.

Is that your current situation? DP pre-out to the Pass filtering out the lower freq range and DP speaker outs also filtering out high freq range (using the high/low pass feature in Expert Configurator). Really curious about this set up (and whoever else is actually using it in such a way). I have a Luxman 550AX that is currently not being used since I got my 220 Pro CI. But the Luxman is extremely liquid in the midrange and also has the capability of being an amp only as well, in addition to being just a preamp.

I guess with the lockdown in most countries, we all have a little more time to experiment!
(03-Apr-2020, 18:49)sfdude Wrote:
(03-Apr-2020, 08:59)georgev Wrote: So far, at lower volumes in my room and to my ears, the sound is not as full as compared to the DP, but once warm(hot), and at higher volumes, the Mids and Highs are actually gobsmackingly good.My impressions thus far.

Is that your current situation? DP pre-out to the Pass filtering out the lower freq range and DP speaker outs also filtering out high freq range (using the high/low pass feature in Expert Configurator). Really curious about this set up (and whoever else is actually using it in such a way). I have a Luxman 550AX that is currently not being used since I got my 220 Pro CI. But the Luxman is extremely liquid in the midrange and also has the capability of being an amp only as well, in addition to being just a preamp.

I guess with the lockdown in most countries, we all have a little more time to experiment!

at this stage, simply pre outs to the pass.
but once the lockdown is over I will filter the hf to the pass and the LF through the speaker outs, except that the speakers will be passively bi amped.
The Luxman is really a great amp.
try it out.
Music Room:
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
(03-Apr-2020, 08:59)georgev Wrote: at this stage, simply pre outs to the pass.
but once the lockdown is over I will filter the hf to the pass and the LF through the speaker outs, except that the speakers will be passively bi amped.
The Luxman is really a great amp.
try it out.

Well, initial testing proves the Devialet 220 is a GREAT match for the Olympica IIIs. The Luxman brings a bit of darker tone to the music and the soundstage has flattened in depth somewhat as well (on very familiar tracks).
Interesting.
The Dev is indeed excellent.
Having used the Pass now for two weeks, I’m going to use the Devialet only for the remaining of the lockdown and see.
So far, knowing the excellency of the Pass, it’s just a testimony of how good the Devialet is.
Btw @sfdude : are you using SAM for the Olympia?
Music Room:
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
(07-Apr-2020, 03:04)georgev Wrote: Interesting.
Having used the Pass now for two weeks, I’m going to use the Devialet only for the remaining of the lockdown and see.
So far, knowing the excellency of the Pass, it’s just a testimony of how good the Devialet is.

Let me know your thoughts on the differences between the Pass driving them vs the Dev. I've always been fascinated with the big Pass amps and have heard nothing but great reviews on them.

I'm using 50% SAM on the Olympicas. I find that it fills out the sound in my room better (I have a largish room that is open in the back to the kitchen area).
(07-Apr-2020, 17:49)sfdude Wrote:
(07-Apr-2020, 03:04)georgev Wrote: Interesting.

Let me know your thoughts on the differences between the Pass driving them vs the Dev. I've always been fascinated with the big Pass amps and have heard nothing but great reviews on them.

I'm using 50% SAM on the Olympicas. I find that it fills out the sound in my room better (I have a largish room that is open in the back to the kitchen area).

So this is the Pass XA 30.5, not one of the big ones. Class A 30Watts into * Ohms and 60W into 4. Believe me it doesn't break a sweat.
The D Prem doesn't have SAM, so cannot experiment with that. 
Maybe i should try the SF with the D1000 expert pro, just for fun.I will spend some time with it(just the SF and The DP) without the Pass this easter weekend.
Music Room:
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Johannesburg,
South Africa.
Preliminary thoughts:
Using the Pass as the power seems to shade the Dev.
Listened to Tina Guo’s The Circle of Life and The sound of silence by Disturbed(I quite like this version), and “Tell Him”, Barbara Streisand.

In the beginning of the Circle of Life, on the Pass, you hear the birds cheeping more clearly. The separation of the instruments seems better. Vocals, hmm about the same I would say. Low frequency extension, also about the same. The other two songs, I preferred the Pass on the Disurbed voice.

I asked my daughter to join me, and she also preferred the Pass, but she was was very quick to say that either were not in the same league as the Od’A with the Vivid G2.
And I agree.

But hey, I’m having fun.

Verdict? The Pass Dev combo, but by a small margin.
Says a huge amount about the DP

I shall spend more time though.
Music Room:
Roon'd for life, Tidal.

Johannesburg,
South Africa.