Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Scratches during playback.
The SQ in my system isn´t bad at all, considering its simplicity, but i´m a bit tired of some scratches and noises during the playback.
I´m using Tidal/roon/ using AIR. So far, not felt the need to use a ethernet cable, the wifi works just fine.
Is the problem on my laptop as a source? Need to replace it for a dedicated one?
Or is a matter of set up?
Thanks for the support.
So I guess if possible, solution #1 would be trying an ethernet connection and see if that solves your problem. You could try first to the laptop, second to Devialet, and third to both. For the latter, you could have each connected via switch/router, or try a direct connection between the two.

Are you running other tasks besides Roon while playing back music? If yes, what programs and what is the configuration (HW) of your laptop?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
Wifi can be a cause, especially if it is 2.4GHz and there are other devices that use it.

Just note, when you stream via Tidal/Roon, you transfer the same information THREE TIMES over your WiFi before it reaches your amp.

First time - from your WiFi router to your laptop, when Tidal downloads it from its server.
Second time - from your laptop back to your router when Roon sends it to the amp (it cannot do this directly).
Third time - from your router to your amp.

If your laptop or your amp is not in a direct visibility from your router, the wifi speed suffers. If you use 2.4HGz and there are other devices using it, your wifi channel is split. If you browse internet when streaming, your speed suffers again. When the noise is high on your WiFi channel, the speed suffers.

Then, your 24/192 signal needs 4Mbits of the bandwidth. Three times this means 12Mbits. This is already quite a lot for a typical WiFi. Factor in other things and you can easily get the bandwidth deficiency that leads to distortions.

So, the best thing you can do is to connect your laptop by the cable (so the music only streamed once via wifi), or, alternatively, use another channel for laptop. Next, connect your amp with the Ethernet cable. Next, increase the "Target Device buffer" in the AIR config.

If this does not help, then it means your laptop is not powerful enough to process the music and doing other things the same - then you need a dedicated streaming computer.
Thanks, guys.

I´m using a 5.0Ghz wifi.
My Dev is direct to the router, no switch at the moment (no need it, right?).
I´ll try with the laptop connected with a ethernet cable.
Yes try the laptop with an ethernet connection first, do you get any sound degradation using the laptop for music playback only and no other activities? BTW since you are using Roon I assume you are using Roon AIR?
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(01-Jun-2018, 03:33)baddog Wrote: Yes try the laptop with an ethernet connection first, do you get any sound degradation using the laptop for music playback only and no other activities? BTW since you are using Roon I assume you are using Roon AIR?

Yes, i´m using Roon/AIR.
I´ve my laptop in another room, that´s why is more confortable to use wifi connection, but i´ll try in the living room with a eth cable, for that i need to use again the switch, right?
OK, if you use 5GHz and you are in another room, then the problem can be the signal level itself, as 5GHz signal does not like walls Smile

So, you can first try just to place your laptop next to your switch, even without connecting them by Ethernet. If this solves the problem, then it's the signal strength issue and the Ethernet cable between your laptop and your switch will solve the problem. Even switching your laptop to 2.4GHz (while leaving the amp in 5GHz) can solve it.
(01-Jun-2018, 13:01)ufnv Wrote: OK, if you use 5GHz and you are in another room, then the problem can be the signal level itself, as 5GHz signal does not like walls Smile

So, you can first try just to place your laptop next to your switch, even without connecting them by Ethernet. If this solves the problem, then it's the signal strength issue and the Ethernet cable between your laptop and your switch will solve the problem. Even switching your laptop to 2.4GHz (while leaving the amp in 5GHz) can solve it.

Hi ufnv,

The cable man told me the same about the signal: 5GHz is faster but "shorter". And i´m not using a switch, for now, but i have one.
Thanks for the tips, it´s a good starting point to understand what´s happening here.
Tomorrow is a good day to test.
Cheers.
Ok, i need to complicate a bit more and buy something to replace the computer.
When i add the switch with the laptop connected with a eth cable, stops all the trouble (... and increases the SQ).

Thanks for the tips.