Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Shocking Customer Service
(30-Jan-2017, 10:34)TheMadButcher Wrote: Hi all

I would just like to share my recent experience with you guys.
I'm a d200 owner and decided to go for a companion rather than the pro update.
All was good and I was very happy until the companion made me notice some issues with my Master (which was bought brand new)

The message I sent to support below

I recently bought a companion d200 to upgrade to a d400. 

This was the first time I have seen 2 units side by side in my house and I noticed that the finish of my original d200 has circular marks that can be seen in bright lighting. 
I asked my dealer about this and was told that this was a b grade finish. 
It's as if it has been buffed with the wrong grade and is very inconsistent. 
The companion unit has no marks whatsoever regardless of the lighting. 
I also noticed a whirring sound from my master unit which isn't present in the companion. 
The companion is second hand with none of these problems, but my master was bought brand new with a rough finish on it and a noise coming from the unit. 
I believe its from a ferrite element in the PSU but it is audible from my listening chair. 
What is the point of having excellent signal to noise ratio but the unit itself is making a loud noise that distracts me from the music. 
Also my listening chair is several metres away and I can hear it when nothing is playing or during quiet parts of the music. 
Please can you sort these issues out. 
For £5500 I expect none of these issues.

Below are images and video I attached to clearly show the issues
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlSIkSBL3VJKgzIYQjjFQSfhNElS

[Image: s!AlSIkSBL3VJKgyH85x7gOe_Ds3Qj]
Rough Master
[Image: s!AlSIkSBL3VJKgyJFiyjGU6iqoDAV]
Perfect Slave

Plus the noise from my master
<iframe src="https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid=4A52DD4B20918854&resid=4A52DD4B20918854%21421&authkey=AMtCDjYAsZ1M4_E" width="98" height="120" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

or
https://1drv.ms/u/s!AlSIkSBL3VJKgyU2ZAQf8RluLUqW
if the embed doesn't work

Devialet replied with

Thank you for your patience. 

We reviewed the case with our team, especially the one managing the production quality. 
Based one the video, we could not detect something abnormal, that would be solved by any kind of exchange or repair. 

This drove me mad.
How can anyone say that they cannot see a difference from this video?
I also took more pictures making it as clear as possible exactly where the damage is.

My message below
I've added pictures of the case and highlighted the exact places where you can clearly see machine marks. 
You have to admit that this is a very sloppy job, and a terrible finish. 
If it is hand finished it is very uneven with lines going all over the place. 
None of these issues are on my companion. 
In a darker room it isn't that visible, but in my new music room I plan on having the units side by side and the down lighting will make the 2 cases look completely different.

https://1drv.ms/f/s!AlSIkSBL3VJKgzFBz_7XCCYFmGzS

So my master has been with devialet for 2 weeks and they have concluded the following

Our team studied the device on two points:

- the casing state
- the ferrite noise

Neither of these presented any issue here. 
The casing is in our standards for the associated year of production, and we did not hear any ferrite noise. 
We still wanted the opinion of our original expert engineer to see if he, perhaps, hears a noise. 

Considering he is very busy at the moment, this will take some time to get a reply. 

I'd just like the opinion of you guys, am I being picky here?
The 2 cases look different and I can hear a loud whirring sound from my listening chair.
What would you guys do in this situation?
I also ask that people with 2 units check the finish of both to see if they match or if they have a similar issue to mine.

Thanks for reading

Looking at your video, its very normal for "Devialet", when you use spot light on it, you will see a lot of tiny swirls or marks running all over the case as you move your eyes or phone camera.

Its the issue with polished product, and I don't think its a problem, when you buy it you should know it. To me the worse issue of the Devialet case is it is not coated properly, so the surface gets oxidized very quick, about 2 weeks time, you can see many white dots generated on the surface. They should really seal the case by some coating rather leave it like that.

Every few weeks, my OdA gets very dirty, and it take significant time and effort to remove those white dots.

Devialet should really think about how to address this issue. 

I heard the 1000 PRO is better in this matter but need to be confirmed.
Agree... the swirl marks are very easy to introduce. If you are the original owner and can swear that you never tried to polish, then you can try and fight with devialet to fix, but being that it was not reported as new, it’s a he said she said thing and hard to prove. You just have to hope that you find a sympathetic ear at devialet who will try and fix for you. It is as PeppaPig said, it’s a flaw in their process that allows these to develop these fine scratches with little to no effort. They should be able to spray some kind of sealant on the chrome finish to counteract this from happening. Heck, any chrome faucet dealer in the states sprays their products with some kind of sealer that prevents scratches so it can’t be that expensive or labor intensive to add this feature.
I found a ceramic surface polish restored my unit to "new" looking. There is a German brand which seems to work the best.
                                                           Cape Town - South Africa, the home of good wine
Listening stuff:  Mercury Pi2 / Gentooplayer,  Expert 440PRO CI.  4Tb SSD.  Mogami speaker cable to ET LF8bs, B&W DB1 sub, Power from 7.5kW inverter.  2 x Dachshunds
Please share the brand. I’ve been told you can’t polish out scratches from chrome, so if there is a product that removes the fine scratch swirl marks, I’d buy it.
Be careful most likely it can polish out the fine scratches but it removes the color as well.

The only way to address this issue is to apply coating/sealant on the surface to stop oxidization.

The more you clean up, wipe your Devialet, the more scratches it will get. If you have to clean it, make sure you wipe it in one direction.

Never wipe vertically and horizontally. I suggest only wipe vertically as in this way the fine scratches are less visible.

Devialet really should address this issue. its a defect if the surface oxidized that quick. I think every 2 week you will see heaps of little white dots generated by oxidation.
(10-Feb-2019, 23:14)PeppaPig Wrote: Be careful most likely it can polish out the fine scratches but it removes the color as well.

The only way to address this issue is to apply coating/sealant on the surface to stop oxidization.

The more you clean up, wipe your Devialet, the more scratches it will get. If you have to clean it, make sure you wipe it in one direction.

Never wipe vertically and horizontally. I suggest only wipe vertically as in this way the fine scratches are less visible.

Devialet really should address this issue. its a defect if the surface oxidized that quick. I think every 2 week you will see heaps of little white dots generated by oxidation.

@PeppaPig, just out of interest; do you live near the beach? Salty air can do a lot of damage to surfaces. Even glass.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(11-Feb-2019, 10:56)Pim Wrote:
(10-Feb-2019, 23:14)PeppaPig Wrote: Be careful most likely it can polish out the fine scratches but it removes the color as well.

@PeppaPig, just out of interest; do you live near the beach? Salty air can do a lot of damage to surfaces. Even glass.

Hi, I am not living close to beach, at least 20KM away from the beach Big Grin

And I am hardly open the window, air is pretty dry here. My OdA is very hard to maintain. Like your OdA before the new process done, it generates many white dots every few weeks and its extremely hard to remove them. I am talking to Devialet and seeking a solution.
(13-Feb-2019, 00:06)PeppaPig Wrote:
(11-Feb-2019, 10:56)Pim Wrote:

Hi, I am not living close to beach, at least 20KM away from the beach Big Grin

And I am hardly open the window, air is pretty dry here. My OdA is very hard to maintain. Like your OdA before the new process done, it generates many white dots every few weeks and its extremely hard to remove them. I am talking to Devialet and seeking a solution.

Will be interesting to see how this unfolds along with my yellowing power button on my 140!  I've received many assurances from Devialet that cosmetic issues are taken seriously.