Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should I??
Hello,

I am on the fence about upgrading from a Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 to a 220 PRO.  I love the look and the simplicity of the Devialet for sure but a little worried about the lack of Room Correction that the Lyngdorf offers.  This is for a pair of B&W 804D3s in the main part of my house, not a dedicated listening room.  Its wide open through the living room, dining room and kitchen with 12-14 foot ceilings.  And the fact that the only spot for the speakers are in the front near a window.

If there was a shop with one to loan that I could set up in my house I would of course go that route but my local spots (in a major city like LA!)  have very low quantity.

Any push over that fence would be greatly appreciated.

J

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(07-Mar-2017, 21:53)Day19 Wrote: Hello,

I am on the fence about upgrading from a Lyngdorf TDAI-2170 to a 220 PRO.  I love the look and the simplicity of the Devialet for sure but a little worried about the lack of Room Correction that the Lyngdorf offers.  This is for a pair of B&W 804D3s in the main part of my house, not a dedicated listening room.  Its wide open through the living room, dining room and kitchen with 12-14 foot ceilings.  And the fact that the only spot for the speakers are in the front near a window.

If there was a shop with one to loan that I could set up in my house I would of course go that route but my local spots (in a major city like LA!)  have very low quantity.

J

I think you should! The 2170 is a very good amp, but I think a 220 Pro is simply better. The main problem is that you'd loose the RoomPrefect correction. If this makes a huge difference in your room I'd be sceptical. Lyngdorf has done the right thing by placing RC in the amp. I have heard RoomPerfect at home and did not like it very much though.  This was many years ago so RoomPerfect may have evolved and improved since then.
As Devialet does not provide for room correction in their amps (yet... one can hope that the new streamer board does this...) a separate solution is what you'd have to look at. Depends how you play your music (and of course other members of your family) It can be quite challenging  to find a separate room correction solution that works with *everything*
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Yeah, as above it's hard to know what impact RC has in your setup, and how much you might miss it if you go Devialet.

I think there's close to zero chance Devialet will add it to the new streamerboard personally. Even if they did, would it be any good? You'll know as soon as the rest of us do I guess (currently touted as somewhere between September and '2017').

There are of course other options depending on how 'into it' you really want to get, and how much you want to spend.

It may be you love it and don't care about RC, but it's a bit of a gamble. Must be a decent dealer in LA?

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

J
B&W 804D3 and 220 Pro is a great combination - in my situation it fills out the listening room - so you don't have to be in the "sweet spot" to enjoy it, but I am unable to comment on how this might compare with your current set up.
(10-Mar-2017, 03:15)Will Wrote:

J
B&W 804D3 and 220 Pro is a great combination - in my situation it fills out the listening room - so you don't have to be in the "sweet spot" to enjoy it, but I am unable to comment on how this might compare with your current set up.

I've been messing around all day with speaker placement with the room correction off on the Lyngdorf and I have come to believe the room correction really just feels like its cutting out the low end.  They suggest you put the speakers right up against the wall for their RC so that makes sense.  

There are some Devialet dealers in LA of course but finding one with good stock is hard with every celebrity in town buying them up by the dozen.
Before my D120 I had Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 with roomperfect and it made bass more precise but with SAM on my Martin Logan Electromotion bass is much better ,deeper almost scary sometimes.
(10-Mar-2017, 10:48)Hph6000 Wrote: Before my D120 I had Lyngdorf TDAI 2200 with roomperfect and  it made bass more precise but with SAM on my Martin Logan Electromotion bass is much better ,deeper almost scary sometimes.

Well not more guessing, this thing sounds incredible... but I can't get a good ground for my turntable.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(13-Mar-2017, 03:59)Day19 Wrote: but I can't get a good ground for my turntable.

I don't recall anyone else having this problem, sounds odd.

What arm and cartridge are you using? When you attach and remove the earthing lead does the noise change?
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(13-Mar-2017, 03:59)Day19 Wrote: Well not more guessing, this thing sounds incredible... but I can't get a good ground for my turntable.

Day

Good choice, I run a VPI Classic turntable and have zero grounding hum and I do not use a separate
ground wire. I used to use a separate ground wire but the last time I moved the 440PRO I forgot to reconnect the ground
no ground hum, so I have left it that way.

Re check you IC connections, or try another IC.

Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

I also have a VPI turntable (though it does not get much use). I'm using an old AT OC5 MC cartridge, which if very low output. Even with the 27 year old TT wires I do not have any grounding-related noise. That is not bragging as I'm not at all geeky or knowlegable about this stuff; just thinking that there must be some 'issue' elsewhere.

But it is good to hear that you are pleased with the sound. We just want folks to be happy!
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada