Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Silvers and Dos2 migration - idiot needs advice
Hi Kboley_UK

No problem with changing topic - I had already done this with you by asking about radio stations Smile

Here are my (quite possibly misinformed) opinions!

I don't know about actual CD's but the Phantoms support FLAC up to 24/192 so you will be fine with these audio files. However you are right that Airplay/Bluetooth will downsample these files - in the case of Airplay to 16/44.

You can only play 24/192 files - (the maximum the Phantoms support) two ways.
1. via toslink optical cable - which requires additional hardware
2. via UPNP - which requires a UPNP server

UPNP is the way I went - its the simplest and most convenient IMHO. Either way you will need additional hardware.

You need three components to play via UPNP - a upnp server, a control device (remote app), an output device (eg speaker).
1. The UPNP server can be your network hard drive - make sure it supports UPNP software if its a stand alone product. This software is generally free or low cost - do you have a network drive in mind? eg Synology, Buffalo. You can of course use a Windows 10 PC or laptop but this will need to be on in order to stream music. I use a small Acer PC running Windows 10 as I use it for other things than just streaming music.
2. An App such as Mconnect to select music tracks from the UPNP server. This app will also let you select the output device (Phantom).
3. The speaker - Phantom.

When you select a track using the app, the server will transfer the file to the Phantoms which will then play it. Whether this will work over WIFI will depend on how good your WIFI connection is and how well the Phantoms communicate with each other.

I've never had any problems with WIFI only connections but if they occur then connecting each Phantom to your network router with ethernet cable should fix this.

I hope this makes sense!

kantblue

PS - though its a shameless plug for Cambridge Audio products there is some useful information about UPNP players here:
https://www.cambridgeaudio.com/gbr/en/blog/what-upnp
Hi kboley_uk

In terms of Stereo Pairing - I would leave them as they are. Either way - Wifi/PLC or Ethernet - Stereo pairing will work better.

If you seperate them you will have to have some way to get Left channel audio to one speaker and Right channel audio to the other. This will require some way to split the stereo such as an optical splitter and I don't know how you would do this with a UPNP server though I don't doubt it can be done.

Its likely, I think to cause timing issues and I can't really see any advantage of doing this?

cheers
kantblue
Hi All, this seems to be a new article on the Devialet site about UPNP - see:
https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...xplanation

kantblue
(15-Feb-2020, 20:52)kantblue Wrote: Hi All, this seems to be a new article on the Devialet site about UPNP - see:
https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...xplanation

kantblue
Thank you. 

About time Devialet took UPnP more seriously!  In the past, UPnP has been treated as a sideshow: remained beta in DOS1, no comparison, testing of DOS1 vs DOS2 UPnP (I asked!), users had to post here to get help on UPnP.

I rate UPnP sound quality as better than Airplay, via Optical input.
Hi kantblue,
Sorry for the delay in replying, life and all that, and thank you for a perfect and simple reply to my questions.

Your reply led me to much useful reading to try and fill the gaps in my understanding of what framework is needed with a wifi system to work well. As such I have a few more questions if you'd be so kind.

Your link to Cambridge products article was very useful. So my understanding now is that if I wish to play my music I need a networked storage disc to hold the flac files(NAS/UPnP server), another item to index/render(?) them(UPnP renderer - Cambridge CXN for example), a UPnP control device - smartphone, etc which presumably provides an interface to the music from the renderer(?) and then the speakers themselves to play the stuff.

A quick point - I noticed that the CXN is also a digital analog converter, is this a necessary item as from what I understand the phantom is a renderer?

Still, here's my main points - can I use just one of these NUC's to do both the job of a NAS and the renderer? I.e., if I have a NUC with two discs can I use one as the NAS and the other for the rendering and indexing of the flacs from the NAS? If so what UPnP software product should I use as I see stuff about MinimServer, etc and what UPnP software product could I use on the control device to access the server?

What I'm trying to say is can I use one box to do it all as I don't really want to have a visible system a la the pictures of the Cambridge products.

Many thanks for any reply.
(13-Feb-2020, 22:38)kantblue Wrote: Hi kboley_uk

In terms of Stereo Pairing - I would leave them as they are. Either way - Wifi/PLC or Ethernet - Stereo pairing will work better.

If you seperate them you will have to have some way to get Left channel audio to one speaker and Right channel audio to the other. This will require some way to split the stereo such as an optical splitter and I don't know how you would do this with a UPNP server though I don't doubt it can be done.

Its likely, I think to cause timing issues and I can't really see any advantage of doing this?

cheers
kantblue
My error kantblue.
@kboley_uk

Hi,

I think you're overthinking your needs and you don't need to manage the whole chain.

The Phantom is your renderer
You need a music manager to ensure you track are well organized.
You need a music player with UPNP ability (best option) or a device with an optical output connected to the Phantom

moreover, where your music is located...
Local or network

that's all !

Check Volumio that may fit your needs or Audio Nirvana Or Music bee
Please excuse my poor reputation
Hi kboley_uk, to answer your questions:
You only need one device to store your music and act as a UPNP Server.
The Phantoms are the renderer hence they effectively do the digital to analog conversion.
(The CXN device needs a digital to analog convertor in order to drive the analog speakers it connects to - its irrelevant in the case of the Phantom speakers.)

The most important decision you need to make is to decide what your storage/upnp server is. Personally I recommend a fully fledged PC of some type rather than a NAS device especially if you intend to make use of other software. A full PC allows you to use it for other things such as photo backups, monitoring software, video playback etc.

In my case I use a Windows 10 PC for things other than my music, eg software that monitors my fishtank parameters etc. Just make sure whatever device you get can run the software that you need. I would recommend a small fanless PC but others may disagree.

I was also using PLEX software as my upnp server which was great for playing local music to the Phantoms and also for storing and playing videos to my smart TV but Plex does not support internet radio which is why I use Mininserver/Mininstreamer to listen to radio stations - its powerful software but not that easy if you aren't computer literate. Again one advantage of a PC based solution is the opportunity to try a wide variety of software (often free) whereas a NAS will run a more limited range of software.

I have an Apple device and I use MConnect to select my music/radio tracks - its fairly simple (a good thing) and works well for me.

Couple of questions for you:
1. Is the device you are planning to use to select your music IOS or Android?
2. Do you intend to listen to the radio over upnp?
3. Are you happy to go the DIY approach or would you prefer to purchase a fully setup music player?

kantblue

PS I think you said you already have a windows 10 PC? If you want to see how this works you can set this up easily and for free.
If you don't want to listen to the radio via upnp then try installing Plex - its self-explanatory but there is a setting to turn on the UPNP server. If you have an IOS device and want to listen to radio then try MinimServer for your local music as the setting up is easy for local music. You will then need an app to select your music and direct it to the phantoms - this depends on what phone you have? Apple or Android.
FYI @kantblue , there is a parallel thread covering similar info:
https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Found-Go...7#pid91187

Happy for @kboley_uk to continue discussion here or in above thread, but can be confusing with 2 threads running.