Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sonos
(03-Oct-2014, 10:45)thumb5 Wrote: Hello Karel - many thanks: I feel embarrassed, the option was right in front of me all along! Does this also change the sort order in the Sonos controller (I guess it should). Will try it as soon as I get chance.

I agree that Qobuz is particularly strong for (discovering) classical music.

@Ian,

Once you changed your setup in the Qobuz desktop app, you will find the changes back in Qobuz in the Sonos controller. The controller app of Sonos itself does not give you the possibility to change anything in your Qobuz setup. Karel
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
(03-Oct-2014, 15:04)thumb5 Wrote: ... But I'd look at Sonos as a way to unify access to all the music you listen to, whether Internet radio, other streaming services or locally-stored. Their list of integrations with streaming services is pretty extensive and I think it could take a long time before the audiophile alternatives catch up (if they even try). Possibly irrelevant if Qobuz is all you need, of course.

From a usability point of view Sonos is very appealing but I wouldn't be keen to use one as my main hub if the sound is not as good as AIR. I also want to be able to stream 24 bit downloads which the Sonos can't handle anyway. I read somewhere that Sonos have some sort of tie-up with Deezer - maybe they will enhance their products to support 24-bit in the future?

The only 'audiophile' solutions that have good integration with Qobuz seem to be the Aries and the NAD M50. I only know one person who has the NAD and he's exceptionally keen on it. I'm not so keen as it has an integrated optical drive for ripping - which is almost bound to break ... Also my local NAD dealer doesn't stock M50s and isn't keen to get one for me to try.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(03-Oct-2014, 19:32)PhilP Wrote: The only 'audiophile' solutions that have good integration with Qobuz seem to be the Aries and the NAD M50. I only know one person who has the NAD and he's exceptionally keen on it. I'm not so keen as it has an integrated optical drive for ripping - which is almost bound to break ... Also my local NAD dealer doesn't stock M50s and isn't keen to get one for me to try.

The NAD M50 is an interesting looking piece of kit, has anyone heard one with the the Devialet? Does it get anywhere close to AIR?
Hello Charlemagne - I see in your signature, Streacom fanless and Sonos Connect. Can I know why you have both in your systeM

For Streacom Fanless - what app you use ?
Does it have its own app or one needs to switch on TV to browse ?
How have you connected from Streacom to D ? (USB or Toslink)
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"
(03-Oct-2014, 19:32)PhilP Wrote:
(03-Oct-2014, 15:04)thumb5 Wrote: ... But I'd look at Sonos as a way to unify access to all the music you listen to, whether Internet radio, other streaming services or locally-stored.  Their list of integrations with streaming services is pretty extensive and I think it could take a long time before the audiophile alternatives catch up (if they even try).  Possibly irrelevant if Qobuz is all you need, of course.

From a usability point of view Sonos is very appealing but I wouldn't be keen to use one as my main hub if the sound is not as good as AIR. I also want to be able to stream 24 bit downloads which the Sonos can't handle anyway.  I read somewhere that Sonos have some sort of tie-up with Deezer - maybe they will enhance their products to support 24-bit in the future?

The only 'audiophile' solutions that have good integration with Qobuz seem to be the Aries and the NAD M50. I only know one person who has the NAD and he's exceptionally keen on it. I'm not so keen as it has an integrated optical drive for ripping - which is almost bound to break ...  Also my local NAD dealer doesn't stock M50s and isn't keen to get one for me to try.

I contacted Deezer regarding 'connected devices' and why Sonos does not show up in their settings. All leading to how and when 'Deezer Elite' becomes available. In brief, the answer was that to get Deezer Elite you will need to play through Sonos, and this will generally happen on 19th March. On all other devices, e.g. phones, tablets, it drops down to Deezer Premium+ by default. In other words, the Deezer Elite in Sonos becomes active via the service that is set up via your Sonos system. That is the tie up between those companies.
Devialet 220 Pro, TQ Black Mains & Ultra Black Speaker Cables, Naim Ovators S600, Sonore microRendu (Roon & HQP) with Uptone JS-2
TRNC (North Cyprus)
(11-Mar-2015, 14:28)AllenB Wrote: All leading to how and when 'Deezer Elite' becomes available. In brief, the answer was that to get Deezer Elite you will need to play through Sonos, and this will generally happen on 19th March. On all other devices, e.g. phones, tablets, it drops down to Deezer Premium+ by default. In other words, the Deezer Elite in Sonos becomes active via the service that is set up via your Sonos system. That is the tie up between those companies.

At least in Finland Deezer Elite was offered to existing customers for the first time last friday. I've been using it ever since, even though I'm kinda disappointed that lossless streaming only works with Sonos. Still cheaper than Tidal (when paying for one year in advance).

Also, in some review Sonos representative did mention that they are working on hires support, but didn't say if it meant new hardware or if it could be handled with software upgrade. They did however update their wireless solution by lowering the price of Bridge and introducing Boost. Wonder if that's related...
(11-Mar-2015, 10:46)Jnan_devi Wrote: Hello Charlemagne - I see in your signature, Streacom fanless and Sonos Connect. Can I know why you have both in your systeM

Hello Jnan_devi, 

the Sonos Connect (modified by Magna Hifi in the Netherlands) was in my system before I decided to buy a Streacom fanless HTPC with SSD and W8.1 running. It's fast in starting up and supersilent, making no noise at all. The cooling is fanless and is done by heatpipes. The Streacom I do use with JRiver and the JRemote app on my iPad. I also use the Qobuz desktop app. This doesn't have a 'Remote' app. So I'm using the Splashtop app on my iPad. That's a General Remote desktop app. Of course I can also use my flatscreen tv as a monitor and a ordinary remote keyboard, if I want. JRiver and Qobuz are playing via the Air-ethernet connection. No hiccups or white noise devils here luckily. 

Further I'm using my Fanless PC for XBMC, Netflix, YouTube and Vimeo for videostreaming to my Pioneer Kuro plasma tv. These app's are using the USB connection for the moment. Mainly because it's easier to get the lipsync right. Al these app's can play via the Air-streamer as well, but with the buffering in Air it's difficult (but not impossible) to get the lipsync right. 

The Sonos Connect modification was a major upgrade SQ-wise but still doesn't beat the Air-streamer in my system. I do keep the Sonos because the SQ is good enough for easy listening, internet radio etc. And I really do like the Sonos software, as do my guests. The alternatives are to complicated for them. Even the two years old son of my best friend understands how to operate a Sonos.

Cheers, ChM 
■ Devialet 1000 Pro & Roon Lifetime ■ Dynaudio Sapphire ■ Streacom fanless HTPC-SSD (W8.1) ■ Sonos  Connect (+Magna Ultimo mod) ■ Qobuz Studio  Qnap TS 219 P II ■ v.d. Hul The Revolution LS cables ■ PS Audio Quintet ■ picture: Sony VPL-HW65ES & LG-OLED65C9
Amsterdam NL
(11-Mar-2015, 20:31)Charlemagne Wrote: Even the two years old son of my best friend understands how to operate a Sonos.

I hope he has good musical taste too, then Smile
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(11-Mar-2015, 20:38)thumb5 Wrote:
(11-Mar-2015, 20:31)Charlemagne Wrote: Even the two years old son of my best friend understands how to operate a Sonos.

I hope he has good musical taste too, then Smile

I'm sure he does. He could even sing before he could talk. And he is more singing then talking. 
Amsterdam NL
(11-Mar-2015, 20:31)Charlemagne Wrote:
(11-Mar-2015, 10:46)Jnan_devi Wrote: Hello Charlemagne - I see in your signature, Streacom fanless and Sonos Connect. Can I know why you have both in your systeM

Hello Jnan_devi, 

the Sonos Connect (modified by Magna Hifi in the Netherlands) was in my system before I decided to buy a Streacom fanless HTPC with SSD and W8.1 running. It's fast in starting up and supersilent, making no noise at all. The cooling is fanless and is done by heatpipes. The Streacom I do use with JRiver and the JRemote app on my iPad. I also use the Qobuz desktop app. This doesn't have a 'Remote' app. So I'm using the Splashtop app on my iPad. That's a General Remote desktop app. Of course I can also use my flatscreen tv as a monitor and a ordinary remote keyboard, if I want. JRiver and Qobuz are playing via the Air-ethernet connection. No hiccups or white noise devils here luckily. 

Further I'm using my Fanless PC for XBMC, Netflix, YouTube and Vimeo for videostreaming to my Pioneer Kuro plasma tv. These app's are using the USB connection for the moment. Mainly because it's easier to get the lipsync right. Al these app's can play via the Air-streamer as well, but with the buffering in Air it's difficult (but not impossible) to get the lipsync right. 

The Sonos Connect modification was a major upgrade SQ-wise but still doesn't beat the Air-streamer in my system. I do keep the Sonos because the SQ is good enough for easy listening, internet radio etc. And I really do like the Sonos software, as do my guests. The alternatives are to complicated for them. Even the two years old son of my best friend understands how to operate a Sonos.

Cheers, ChM 

Thanks for Sharing. I m definitely looking for a all Data base connected (NAS, System etc). I purchased JRiver but its literally a sandbox. given up on it i will try some time later. Got input regarding .iso format i will try later.

Regarding the silent PC + JRiver +USB, is good combo i guess, as i never want to use TV for playing my music. Haunts me with the power consumption Smile on TV (just like A.Monk). 

For now I m on macbook-Air + iTunes + NAS + AIR_ETH Devialet - for ALAC - I think i will continue with this set up until Dialog verdict is out. but my Issue with all this is just like the silent Streacom PC you are using is a very high end architecture for any streamers. all they need to do is develop an APP which controls the device for music lovers. its a cheap and best solution (high end floating point math processor etc)
Rock OS (Roon) on NUC 2016 Model (ETH Wired to Router) > Cat8 from Router to switch to 220Pro (CI) > RAAT/AIR > Monitor Audio PL300 II
Ipad Mini 4/iPhone for Roon Remote"