Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sound quality Bluesound Node 2, connected with Devialet D200
Hi all,

Since oct 2015 I’m the happy owner of a D200, enjoying the great virtues of this device.
However, I still have a nagging question.
The digitally connected Bluesound Node 2  doesn’t sound as well as the analogue connected Naim CD5 player. 
Comparing the same music as CD track and ripped as FLAC file, the CD sounds more defined and detailed, has more air around the instruments and vocals.
My dealer’s explanation at the time was that the Bluesound is a relatively cheap device. You cannot expect too much from it.

Besides the medium some other variables could have an influence:

1.      DAC
I’ve understood that the main variable would be the quality of the DAC.
The Bluesound is using the D200 DAC, while the Naim CD5 is using it’s own DAC. The Naim is from 2001 and doesn’t have a digital output.
So has this 15 year old Naim CD5 (their entry level player) a better DAC than the D200. It’s hard to believe.

2.      Cable connection.
The Bluesound is connected with an Audioquest Forest Dig. Coax cable.
The Naim with a proprietary Naim DIN cable.
Isn’t the Audioquest cable good enough ?

Some more background info:
-         It doesn’t make any difference in sound when the FLAC files are on the cable connected NAS or “directly” on an inserted USB stick.
-         If the Bluesound is analog connected with the D200 the sound gets worse.
-         The CD’s are ripped with EAC and Dbpoweramp.

Hope, you have some suggestions,
Ed
living room: Rega Planar3 with Ortofon 2M Bronze - Naim CD5 (Naim DIN cable) - Sony UBP-X800 (Audioquest Forest) - Nakamichi BX300-E
Devialet D200 - Devialet AIR with Roon
Audiovector SR3 Avantgarde Arreté (Supra Ply 3.4S) - Dynaudio Contour 1.1 mk2
study: JRiver - Windows PC - Roon - Audeze Deckard - Focal Elear
I don't have any experiences on Bluesound Node 2 or Naim CD5 player but I would like to ask that do you have a computer where you could try running Devialet AIR? You could then use your computer as a streamer instead of the Bluesound. It would be interesting to hear whether you like how it sounds.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
What Petrik states is a solid advice and a good way to compare the BlueSound with what the DAC in the Devialet is capable of.

Next to that: source does matter and so does the cable you use. I use AudioQuest Diamond Digital cable and heard a stepup in SQ every time I switched cable in their Line up. I dare not listen to the next step up, as all money invested in these cables seem to matter.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
(19-Jun-2017, 15:03)Lowland Wrote: 1.      DAC
I’ve understood that the main variable would be the quality of the DAC.
The Bluesound is using the D200 DAC, while the Naim CD5 is using it’s own DAC. The Naim is from 2001 and doesn’t have a digital output.
So has this 15 year old Naim CD5 (their entry level player) a better DAC than the D200. It’s hard to believe.

Firstly, welcome to the forum!

One point to note regarding the Devialet DAC.  The DAC is integral to Devialet's 'ADH Core', so integral to the amplifier itself.  So all the goodness you attribute to the Naim's DAC is in fact passing through (very transparently) the Devialet's DAC as well.  Or in other words, if you feed the Devialet an analogue feed, the Devialet first converts this to digital to feed the Devialet's DAC / ADH core. 

The suggestion by others to try Devialet AIR is a good one I think.  Devialet AIR provides a very good level of sound quality and should provide an excellent baseline of what the amp is capable of.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(19-Jun-2017, 15:49)petrik Wrote: I don't have any experiences on Bluesound Node 2 or Naim CD5 player but I would like to ask that do you have a computer where you could try running Devialet AIR? You could then use your computer as a streamer instead of the Bluesound. It would be interesting to hear whether you like how it sounds.

Last year I've managed to get AIR working. Just for a test, because I had wifi problems with the Bluesound. I don't remember what the sound quality was. So I'll set it up again and let you know.
Quote:kerkhoffd
What Petrik states is a solid advice and a good way to compare the BlueSound with what the DAC in the Devialet is capable of.

Next to that: source does matter and so does the cable you use. I use AudioQuest Diamond Digital cable and heard a stepup in SQ every time I switched cable in their Line up. I dare not listen to the next step up, as all money invested in these cables seem to matter.

You may be right. But I never was much interested into cables. My ears are not that good. The price of the Diamond (€899) gets out of balance with the price of the Bluesound (€ 549). Then I would also like to check what music a higher level streamer like the Aurilac Aries LE (€1099) is making.
living room: Rega Planar3 with Ortofon 2M Bronze - Naim CD5 (Naim DIN cable) - Sony UBP-X800 (Audioquest Forest) - Nakamichi BX300-E
Devialet D200 - Devialet AIR with Roon
Audiovector SR3 Avantgarde Arreté (Supra Ply 3.4S) - Dynaudio Contour 1.1 mk2
study: JRiver - Windows PC - Roon - Audeze Deckard - Focal Elear
Even though the Naim CD5 and the Bluesound are providing CD quality signals in technical/ numerical terms, the sound quality can still be affected by the equipment. The Bluesound is fine for what it is and what it does, but it is very likely not going to sound as good as the Naim CD5.

As a comparison, I recently changed my main source from a stock Sonos Connect to a Wyred4Sound modified Sonos Connect. The source music files are the same CD rips, or Deezer Elite FLAC tracks. The difference in sound quality between the stock Connect and the modified Connect is remarkable; the modified Connect is much better in terms of dynamics,clarity, ease, lack of 'grain'- everything that matters. So, the same sources with the same bits of math will sound different through different pieces of electronics. The AQ forest cable may also be a factor, though possibly not with the Bluesound.

Finally, I don't think that you can bypass the internal DAC in the Devialet, so any comparison is very difficult, or impossible. I don't think a CD 5 has a DAC in any event. Others know more about that than I do and there are other threads about DACs.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(19-Jun-2017, 17:59)Damon Wrote: . I don't think a CD 5 has a DAC in any event.

It does if its analogue out only.... Angel

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(19-Jun-2017, 17:55)Lowland Wrote: kerkhoffd

You may be right. But I never was much interested into cables. My ears are not that good. The price of the Diamond (€899) gets out of balance with the price of the Bluesound (€ 549). Then I would also like to check what music a higher level streamer like the Aurilac Aries LE (€1099) is making.
[/quote]

And right you are. I was just stating the differences are well audible. I always go by "source first". Cables and power are both something to think about when you want the final touches. And I agree: somewhere the balance between what you get for your Buck changes dramatically. Point was, that "all" you invest pays you back in SQ. For each to decide how far he/she goes and how much to invest in this hobby.
Aurender N10 - Kharma Enigma Signature AES/EBU - Devialet 400 - MIT SL-Matrix 28s - Audio Physic Virgo 25 Plus - IsoAcoustics Gaia II - AudioQuest Diamond RCA-AES between Master and Companion - Silent Angel Bonn N8 - AudioQuest Diamond Ethernet cable - Keces P3 with Hifi-Tuning Supreme 3 Silver fuse - GigaWatt 16A automatic circuit breaker - Vibex One 6 Cu - Shunyata Research ΞTRON Alpha Digital and ΞTRON Z PC-10 powercords - Qobuz 24 bit Studio

The Netherlands
What a coincidence!
I can t encourage enough for AIR set thru ethernet!
I just bought this afternoon the latest cd of diana krall :turn up the quiet ;and decided to connect my old denon dvd 1930 thru optical to my dev200; via a cheap entry level analysis plus optical cable.
So i just compared the cd sq and the same thru roon and tidal via AIR .
Guess what? Air sound better, by far margin specially in the bass definition and control.
Her voice is more vivid and clear.
Again AIR is a winner here!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I cannot compare with the NAIM, but due to stability problems with AIR, I tested out Bluesound Node (version1) which I was using with another setup, with my Devialet.  I could not tell the difference, flipping between AIR and Bluesound, while listening to the same piece of music.  I bought a Bluesound Node 2 to use with my Devialet - and also some Bluesound speakers for use in bedrooms etc.  As well as resolving the issues I was having with AIR - I now have an integrated home audio system. 

A little bit off topic - I did trial Roon, when they announced their integration with Bluesound. I (and others) had some problems with Roon not always discovering the Bluesound nodes and/or speakers. Does anyone know if this problem has been resolved - as I am prepared to give Roon another go if it has.