Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Spendor Classic Series
Hell All,

I had the pleasure of listening to a Spendor SP100R2 at a local dealer's. Although not through a Devialet, but through a relatively cheap Rega power amp. Nevertheless, what I heard was fantastic! A wonderfully natural, balanced and resolved sound. Simply spectacular. The sound was wonderfully hovering in the room, almost detached from the speakers. As a comparison, I also listened to the Spendor A4, but compared to the SP100R2, they just sounded bass-boomy and veiled in the highs!

Now the SP100R2 is too big for my living room, but the Classic 1/2 suits much better in size. Does anyone have experience with a Spendor Classic 1/2? Thanks for any input.
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
(23-Aug-2018, 08:42)Sailor4W Wrote: Hello

I have the Spendor Classic 1/2r2 speakers. Been using them since I got my Dev200 four years ago. I`m not gonna try to describe the sound with my humble english, but iI can say this.

I think the combo sounds perfect, I still get suprised when listening, natural and detailed sound in the livingroom(24m2).

The big retro woodboxes and the futuristic looking Devialet also looks great together. 

The only thing I have changed over the years are the turntable. Im very happy with the sound and can recomend you try for yourself.

Wallard 

I had the pleasure of listening to a Spendor SP100R2 at a local dealer's. Although not through a Devialet, but through a relatively cheap Rega power amp. Nevertheless, what I heard was fantastic! A wonderfully natural, balanced and resolved sound. Simply spectacular. The sound was wonderfully hovering in the room, almost detached from the speakers. As a comparison, I also listened to the Spendor A4, but compared to the SP100R2, they just sounded bass-boomy and veiled in the highs!

Now the SP100R2 is too big for my living room, but the Classic 1/2 suits much better in size. Does anyone have experience with a Spendor Classic 1/2? Thanks for any input.
(04-Sep-2018, 09:51)Wallard Wrote:
(23-Aug-2018, 08:42)Sailor4W Wrote: Hello

I have the Spendor Classic 1/2r2 speakers. Been using them since I got my Dev200 four years ago. I`m not gonna try to describe the sound with my humble english, but iI can say this.

I think the combo sounds perfect, I still get suprised when listening, natural and detailed sound in the livingroom(24m2).

The big retro woodboxes and the futuristic looking Devialet also looks great together. 

The only thing I have changed over the years are the turntable. Im very happy with the sound and can recomend you try for yourself.

Wallard 

Thanks for your reply, Wallard!

I totally agree, the combination of Devialet and Spendor is dazzling! I am so attracted to those British classics like Spendor/Harbeth/Rogers, etc. Very good speakers, indeed.

I'll have an extended audition of the Harbeth Monitor 30.1 speakers this weekend at my place. I am very curious how this turns out!
The owner of Spendor uses Devialet amps.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I recently acquired some Graham LS5/9 and I am very impressed, so natural and musical, I can't believe that BBC inspired speakers are this good an I've been missing them for the past 30 years I've been into hifi!

The Devialet sounds fantastic with them so I'm sure the Harbeth 30.1 will be great as well.
Roon/RAAT - Dev 250 Pro - AQ Castle Rock - SF Olympica ii
(14-Sep-2018, 16:36)f1eng Wrote: The owner of Spendor uses Devialet amps.

Says something about Devialet  Smile
(14-Sep-2018, 16:41)Chris Marshall Wrote: I recently acquired some Graham LS5/9 and I am very impressed, so natural and musical, I can't believe that BBC inspired speakers are this good an I've been missing them for the past 30 years I've been into hifi!

The Devialet sounds fantastic with them so I'm sure the Harbeth 30.1 will be great as well.

I've got the slightly smaller model, floorstanding version, the Graham (Chartwell) LS6f, and I agree. Very musical and natural. The LS6 has a rear port, but the floorstanding LS6f version uses an integrated plinth instead. As a result, the bass sounds almost effortless.
Audiolab 6000CDT, Innuos Zenith MK II, Roon, Synology NAS, D250 Pro CI, Graham Audio Chartwell LS6f, Thorens TD-160, Pickering XV-15 1200e
(20-Sep-2018, 01:53)musialsuspect Wrote:
(14-Sep-2018, 16:41)Chris Marshall Wrote: I recently acquired some Graham LS5/9 and I am very impressed, so natural and musical, I can't believe that BBC inspired speakers are this good an I've been missing them for the past 30 years I've been into hifi!

I've got the slightly smaller model, floorstanding version, the Graham (Chartwell) LS6f, and I agree. Very musical and natural. The LS6 has a rear port, but the floorstanding LS6f version uses an integrated plinth instead. As a result, the bass sounds almost effortless.

I envy you people with all those great BBC speaker descendants! For the moment I have to postpone my speaker project, as I decided to get an upgrade to the 220 Pro CI. This is a hefty investment, so my Harbeth monitor 30 project will be delayed substantially. The dealer that got me interested in the Harbeths wasn't happy about my decision at all :-(( But a few years later down the road, the issue will come up again!
There are several great descendants the the BBC speakers, for sure! When the time comes, I'm sure you'll make a great choice.

Enjoy your 220 Pro CI when you get it back. You'll like the increased flexibility and appreciate the additional power. A Devialet just makes music sound divine. (I recently had a chance to get a 250 Pro CI for about the same that I paid for a brand new 220 Pro CI. (Love the sound of both, and now have an 'extra' really new 220, but that's another topic).
Audiolab 6000CDT, Innuos Zenith MK II, Roon, Synology NAS, D250 Pro CI, Graham Audio Chartwell LS6f, Thorens TD-160, Pickering XV-15 1200e