Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stereo Phantoms without Dialog possible?
Hi,

Is it possible to run two White Phantoms without Dialog, and still configure quality Stereo?

If possible, I would like to just run optical straight from Mac Mini to Phantom. Not sure if I can do this with one TOS link or if it requires two?

Also, I am unable to test hear the Silver Phantoms, it only seem they demo white ones around here. My room will be 50m2, and I am reading a lot on these forums about Silver having better dynamics and more than just extra dbs. 

What do you guys recommend? My choices are: 1.) Go with two white Phantoms 2.) Go with two silver Phantoms 3.) Go with 2 Phantoms and dialog.

Very excited to soon be a Phantom owner :-)
Dialog is required. For some reason these Phantoms talk in some alien language that only Dialog can understand.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
(15-Oct-2015, 10:51)hydr Wrote: Hi,

Is it possible to run two White Phantoms without Dialog, and still configure quality Stereo?

If possible, I would like to just run optical straight from Mac Mini to Phantom. Not sure if I can do this with one TOS link or if it requires two?

Also, I am unable to test hear the Silver Phantoms, it only seem they demo white ones around here. My room will be 50m2, and I am reading a lot on these forums about Silver having better dynamics and more than just extra dbs. 

What do you guys recommend? My choices are: 1.) Go with two white Phantoms 2.) Go with two silver Phantoms 3.) Go with 2 Phantoms and dialog.

Very excited to soon be a Phantom owner :-)

I have not heard them but people at Devialet say the difference between silver and white is maximum loudness capability noy sound quality, and I would believe them over forum scuttlebut myself.
If you want stereo from 2 Phantoms you need a dialog, the combined signal is sent to the dialog from wherever it is connected, the dialog does the stereo split and sends the appropriate signal to the Phantoms according to their definition during setup in Spark.
In fact I would imagine that if you want to run 2 mono Phantoms in different rooms on the same network dialog is still needed since the non-dialog setup has no provison to deal with more than one Phantom.
I believe the Devialet web site specifies a dialog is needed for more than one Phantom (up to 24).
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I demo´d the white and the sales rep was very vague and without a lot of decent answers.

He stated that it was possible to run two Phantoms as Stereo without the Dialog but that it would reduce the quality. (I didn´t get it)
He stated there were no quality reduction over bluetooth, and insisted we only play via bluetooth for demo.
He stated there were improvements in Silver vs White in sound quality as well as power/loudness.

Just left me scratching my head a bit, as I don´t entirely think I can trust these answers. Ideally I would like to spend as little as possible for the best possible sound. So if there was a way without Dialog I would certainly go there. I know it´s impossible to quantify SQ, but I think for me to spend the extra money for SILVER there would have to be a decent amount of improvement over white. Too bad I can´t find silver demo around here. :-)

Thanks for all the answers, I greatly appreciate them! This forum is amazing!
Well, he's a (bad) salesman, so:

"He stated that it was possible to run two Phantoms as Stereo without the Dialog but that it would reduce the quality."
WRONG, the dialog is needeed.

"He stated there were no quality reduction over bluetooth, and insisted we only play via bluetooth for demo."
WRONG, bluetooth is NOT the best solution for quality sound.

"He stated there were improvements in Silver vs White in sound quality as well as power/loudness."
WRONG, only power/loudness (according to Devialet). This one is debatable.
It would be so great if Devialet would build the dialog functions into the actual phantom instead of this messy solution with a seperate "router/dialog". It really brings the product down.

It would be great if you could have a "mother" phantom which had the dialog capabilities included inside and then pair it with other normal phantoms:

Stereo solution = a "mother" phantom + a phantom

Multi rooom phantoms = a "mother" phantom + a phantom + a phantom etc....
Why a messy solution? It is great how it is now!
Dosen´t it defeat the point of creating an amazing compact system to have a dialog box and cables?
I have read two reviews in where white and silver Phantoms were compared (in stereo configuration). Both state that the difference is minimal. I can recommend the test on hifi.nl (use google translate if you don't understand Dutch).
Two Pantoms will need Dialog for correct phase and time behaviour. So even if you tweak with optical and channel seperation, you will have poor quality because phase and timing is very important.

I ordered two white Phantoms and dialog in blind. At a time when reviews were very sparse. I have not regretted that decision.
In these days, Devialet gives the oportunity to send everything return if you do not like Phantom. So why not give them a try?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Happy Phantom user since april 2015 (currently 2 Gold Phantom, Dialog, Branch/Tree) with Tidal hifi.
(15-Oct-2015, 23:34)P ChalleB Wrote: Dosen´t it defeat the point of creating an amazing compact system to have a dialog box and cables?

No! It is just fine that you can hide the dialog ( with a good ethernet cable etc.) and run the phantoms only with the power cable  Wink

Bij me it runs perfect