Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best TT packagr for 7,500 US$?
(26-Mar-2018, 04:21)bernardl Wrote: Thank you all for your kind answers.

After a lot of reading it appears that the Technics may be by far the best bang for the bucks. Plus, being based in Japan I know I will benefit from excellent support.

The only question left is the choice of the cartridge. Any advice?

Cheers,
Bernard

Are you going to be using the Devialet directly as your phono amp?

If so, I would maximize on its very quiet, highly configurable phono stage and look at LOMCs.

The Ortofon Cadenza Red and Benz Micro ACE S L both measure very well.

In the world of MI/MM, the Nagaoka MP-500 (disclosure -- one of the carts I own) also measures very well, and includes both a boron cant and super fine line stylus.

If the Cadenza Red is a bit too pricey, the AT33PTG/II gets you a boron catilever and MicroLine stylus for <$500.
(26-Mar-2018, 20:28)Confused Wrote: I would second @f1eng's mention of Ortofon. In fact, I recall reading an article about cartridges where the quality of some very expensive "boutique" cartridges were compared to the big mass producers such as Ortofon. "Handcrafted coils" might sound lovely, all that care an attention from an expert craftsmen, but the reality is that companies like Ortofon can utilise state of the art machinery that will construct perfect coils time after time, they have decades of experience and the strength and depth to invest in the right kit. On a subjective note, the Ortofon Cadenza Black has to be about the most used cartridge by posters on this forum. I have listened to the Cadenza Black on a wide range of turntables, and it sounds good with them all. Yes, there are differences, the Rega RP10 becomes an absolute detail monster with the Black, the Pro-Ject Signature more bold and strident, but the Black seems to deliver with TT's of all flavors.

The Cadenza Black sounds lovely, indeed, but I've had enough cartridges get ruined through accidents that I'm scared to spend $2k on something that can be destroyed so easily and, even if isn't, is a consumable.