Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Subwoofer setup
Hi all and please excuse my ignorance.

I have just ordered a B&W DB3D subwoofer to add to my Quad Z3's and 220 expert pro CI.  From my readings this should improve not just bass but  also all other aspects of sound and presentation.  The sub also comes with included EQ room correction option.
From the Devialet support site there are a number of ways to install.  

I plan on assigning a line out as sub RCA sub cable and use low pass of around 80Hz (Quads rated at 50Hz). 
I was not planning on high pass for main speakers, is this correct? 

I note I can use stereo or mono  for sub in Devialet settings.  Which is preferable given I will only use single connector I assume from Dev to sub?  I take it single RCA cable is way to go (thinking audio quest Irish Red Setter)?  The sub has 2 RCA inputs and 2 XLR inputs.

I note that it is also possible on the Devialet to delay the main speaker signal to correct for sub delay if needed.  Has anyone experience of using this?

Many thanks in advance for any sage advice.

Trevor

Link for sub manual

http://www.bowers-wilkins.co.uk/Admin/Do...al-ALL.PDF
Roon, Tidal, Macbook Pro 15 (quad core, 16 GB), Project Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Devialet 220 pro CI, Focal Sopra N2. Bowers & Wilkins DB3D Subwoofer, Scotland, UK.
Trevor

Not sure if this is what your looking for, but have a look at the below link and another thread where I asked some questions:

Devialet Subwoofer Crossover
Hook up my Sub

Cheers
John
1000Pro (Matte Black), Lenehan Audio ML5 Reference's, FoilTek Speaker Cable's, Paradigm Sub1, Entreq Poseidon, Antipodes CX, Roon (Lifetime), Curious Cable USB, Aqvox Switch, Gigawatt PC-3 Evo Se, Mad Scientist Link Cable (RCA/AES), PSC Power Cords

Australia (Perth)
(05-Apr-2018, 01:22)Celts88 Wrote: Trevor

Not sure if this is what your looking for, but have a look at the below link and another thread where I asked some questions:

Devialet Subwoofer Crossover
Hook up my Sub

Cheers
John

Cheers John and sorry to hear of your woes just now.  Hope all resolves soon

T
Roon, Tidal, Macbook Pro 15 (quad core, 16 GB), Project Classic, Ortofon 2M Black, Devialet 220 pro CI, Focal Sopra N2. Bowers & Wilkins DB3D Subwoofer, Scotland, UK.
I wanted to share my experience of connecting my DB3D B&W subwoofer to my 220 Pro CI.

While I own a pair of B&W 804 D3s that work perfectly down to 20Hz, I decided to add the DB3D subwoofer for some further punch. While the SQ from the beginning was excellent as expected, the further result is that I now have added rumble and deep bass that adds an extra depth to music tracks, for a much improved the listening experience.

In terms of setup, thanks to the advice on this thread from John and Trevor and the technical support of B&W, I have set it up in the following manner.

While I could have set my Expert 220 Pro CI to cross over at 60Hz-80Hz, a crossover setting in the Dev is not necessary as the B&W subwoofer app allows you to set your crossover automatically by selecting “804 D3” as your master/main speakers. According to B&W, this sets the subwoofer low pass to 24Hz. (804 D3 frequency range is 20Hz to 35kHz). My connection is via the PreOut, full range both master speakers and PreOut, PreOut summed to mono and connected to the DB3D’s R/LFE connection with a single QED Performance Subwoofer cable. ‘

If you don’t have B&W speakers, you can also choose “Other Speakers” and set the Low Pass Filter Hz, Slope and Phase. I will be experimenting with the non-auto subwoofer settings in the app and trying the crossover settings in the amp.

I would be curious to know if anyone has any other suggestions regarding crossover frequencies, single or stereo connections (PreOut stereo via Y-cable to both L+R RCA of the subwoofer provides another 3db, apparently?), or on the setup above.

Thanks!
220 Pro CI - B&W 804 D3  - B&W DB3D - Siltech Explorer - Mac Mini (2018/SSD) - AudioQuest Pearl USB & Ethernet - Sennheiser HDV 820 & HD-800S - Roon (Lifetime) - Tidal HiFi
New York, NY
(21-Feb-2022, 00:48)Rocketmannequin Wrote: I wanted to share my experience of connecting my DB3D B&W subwoofer to my 220 Pro CI.
While I own a pair of B&W 804 D3s that work perfectly down to 20Hz, I decided to add the DB3D subwoofer for some further punch.  While the SQ from the beginning was excellent as expected, the further result is that I now have added rumble and deep bass that adds an extra depth to music tracks, for a much improved the listening experience.
In terms of setup, thanks to the advice on this thread from John and Trevor and the technical support of B&W, I have set it up in the following manner. 
While I could have set my Expert 220 Pro CI to cross over at 60Hz-80Hz, a crossover setting in the Dev is not necessary as the B&W subwoofer app allows you to set your crossover automatically by selecting “804 D3” as your master/main speakers.  According to B&W, this sets the subwoofer low pass to 24Hz.  (804 D3 frequency range is 20Hz to 35kHz).  My connection is via the PreOut, full range both master speakers and PreOut, PreOut summed to mono and connected to the DB3D’s R/LFE connection with a single QED Performance Subwoofer cable. ‘
If you don’t have B&W speakers, you can also choose “Other Speakers” and set the Low Pass Filter Hz, Slope and Phase.  I will be experimenting with the non-auto subwoofer settings in the app and trying the crossover settings in the amp. 
I would be curious to know if anyone has any other suggestions regarding crossover frequencies, single or stereo connections (PreOut stereo via Y-cable to both L+R RCA of the subwoofer provides another 3db, apparently?), or on the setup above.
Thanks!
Hello, 
Did you make the test and what configuration did you find the best with Devialet ?
Thanks
Bob
I just saw this post...I have Expert D800, YG Acoustics Carmel and two ELAC Sub2090. With days of experimentation and measuring, I was able to achieve a +/-3dB "house curve" 17Hz-20kHz. Sounds amazing too. I tried stereo, mono with the subs. Running the mains full and with HPF at many different frequencies, same for the sub. I tried their own crossover, the crossover in the Devialet, and many, many variables. Crossover frequencies from 40Hz to 90Hz, etc.

In the end, I have the following: a 30Hz high pass filter on the mains and a 40Hz low pass filter on the subs running in mono. Both crossovers are 4th order in the Devialet. This matches what YG Acoustics engineers told me when I asked. They suggested either HPF and LPF at 40 OR LPF on the sub at 40Hz and running the mains full range. Of course for proper integration I had to adjust the delay and the phase too.

Proper sub-placement and integration can only be achieved with measurements and being able to interpret the result. Anything else is trying to guess tire pressure by looking at it and kicking the tire. I used UMIK-1 mic and REW. The total cost is around $100.
Win10/HQPlayer / Roon - Uptone Audio Etherregen switch / SOtM-SMS-200 ultra with clock input - Mutec REF 10 clock for the switch and the streamer - Denafrips GAIA DCC - Devialet D800 - YG Acoustics Carmel - Dual Elac SUB-2090 
power supplies: Uptone JS-2, SOtM SPS-500