Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
System simplification ideas ...
Wink 
Hi all,

Thanks to everyone's input, I have came up with the following idea and I think latency issue shouldn't occur:

To recap the purchase:
- 1 DCA
- 1 3x Toslink Switch
- 1 5x HDMI Switch (I already have a 3x HDMI Switch ...)
- Of course a nice pair of Phantom Reactor Angel Big Grin  Well actually any stereo pairs actually (Had in mind the KEF LS50 Wireless)

Results of the simplification:
- No more 5.1
- No more HT amplifier
- No more small tube stereo with its speakers (BT transmission is kept has the new pair of speakers can be connected via BT)

Any comments on that?

Thanks
There is still the 60 ms latency in the Reactors. How will you compensate for that with TV and KTV?
(16-May-2020, 10:47)Snoopy8 Wrote: There is still the 60 ms latency in the Reactors. How will you compensate for that with TV and KTV?
For the KTV setup currently I have a delay between the TV sound and the speaker (after passing by the mixer).
Solution is to mute the TV sound and just use the mixer output sound.
The same should works with the new setup?
(16-May-2020, 13:41)donniemcm Wrote:
(16-May-2020, 10:47)Snoopy8 Wrote: There is still the 60 ms latency in the Reactors. How will you compensate for that with TV and KTV?
For the KTV setup currently I have a delay between the TV sound and the speaker (after passing by the mixer).
Good that you have considered the latency.  

Maybe you should consider buying a 8 port HDMI switch to replace the the 3 port switch.  HDMI handshaking can sometimes be temperamental and you may have less problems with a single switch?

What are you using to convert HDMI to optical?  I use one of these:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9...th_3d.html
(16-May-2020, 14:20)Snoopy8 Wrote:
(16-May-2020, 13:41)donniemcm Wrote:
Good that you have considered the latency.  

Maybe you should consider buying a 8 port HDMI switch to replace the the 3 port switch.  HDMI handshaking can sometimes be temperamental and you may have less problems with a single switch?

What are you using to convert HDMI to optical?  I use one of these:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/9...th_3d.html
I've (spontaneously  Big Grin ) made my purchases on AliExpress.
5x HDMI switch
[/url][url=https://a.aliexpress.com/_BfhkDqop]3x Toslink switch
ADC

Will know how they perform after receiving and testing them ...
To be honest I'm purchasing them first as my wife is (still) against my new idea ... But with them I can already make some intermediary changes ... Maybe by then the last piece of the plan can be purchased ?
@Snoopy8 oh and for HDMI switch over 5 ports the price increase is very steep.
As I already have one 3x HDMI switch and economically speaking, the 5x HDMI switch made sense.
Plus the extra 3 ports are for devices I am not using often.

BTW I've just been in a Devialet shop ... Listened to the reactor 600, 900 and 900 in stereo ...
Heart Blush
(17-May-2020, 09:57)donniemcm Wrote: @Snoopy8 oh and for HDMI switch over 5 ports the price increase is very steep.
As I already have one 3x HDMI switch and economically speaking, the 5x HDMI switch made sense.
Plus the extra 3 ports are for devices I am not using often.

BTW I've just been in a Devialet shop ... Listened to the reactor 600, 900 and 900 in stereo ...
Heart Blush
Understand why you went with the 5 port switch and hope everything works out.  And glad you enjoyed the Rector audition.
Oh also the sales person used the same song (Billy Eilish - Bad guy) and the volume at 47 for the different setup.

Although the listening room was small I was quite impressed by the power from the different setup especially and not surpringly the stereo Reactor 900. Obviously the choice of the song was a good one as the bass are omnipresent.

At home with my amplifier and 5.1 at 40-ish I don't get the same level of output. Only apple to apple comparison I cannot perform is with my little tube stereo set where I have a different reference for the volume. Although to be fair, my dining-living room is bigger and the ceiling is higher than the testing room. But I think a pair of Reactor 900 would still perform better than my current setup.

I'm so excited  Big Grin
Just an update ... I think lately there are some issues with AliExpress not shipping to my country ... hence I still didn't receive my equipments Sad

Meanwhile I've been to another showroom but the Sales person was helpless when asked for advices on my current setup ... He could only sell the great sound and easy setup that a pair of Reactor provides!
My solution with zero regrets:

https://devialetchat.com/Thread-An-Ode-t...ctor-900-s
2 Channel Power / Signal Path: APC H15 → Mistral Audio W-3900 → Custom Roon Server → Silent Angel Bonn N8 → Silent Angel Forester F1 → miniDSP SHD Studio → Mutec MC-3+ USB → Devialet Phantom I 108dB

Headphone iFi Audio iDSD Signature → Grado GS1000i