Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TIDAL question
Yes but I have a MQA DAC which I was planning to use with the Devialet. I presume that the MQA DAC would have unfolded the 16/48 to a higher sample rate.
(20-Mar-2017, 15:32)Rama Wrote: Yes but I have a MQA DAC which I was planning to use with the Devialet. I presume that the MQA DAC would have unfolded the 16/48 to a higher sample rate.

It can't because 8 bits were stripped away when converting everything to 16 bit for Airplay.

Almost all MQA Master content is 24 bit.
Roon->HQPlayer->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301s>Transparent Super->Wilson Audio Sabrinas w/ Shunyata Denali, Rega RP8, Rega Apheta 2

Thanks for pointing this out to me I did not know that. Will be selling the Apple TV now as I have no use for it.
Well I have to admit Tidal has me hooked, time will tell if it is new toy syndrome as its great to be lying on the couch with my DAP and headphones and control it all on the player.

So I decided to set up AIR, yes I actually did it. One or two teething problems as I tried to uninstall the old version and install the new, but a restart of the lap top sorted this.
Then I was slightly disappointed to learn to have the HIFI quality from Tidal then I had to use Google Chrome.....so another browser installation Big Grin

So Tidal up and running through AIR.....two hours now and no issues yet. I do feel a slightly inferior quality to when listening to my FLAC files through the Melco, and volume has to be increased by about 10db on the remote to get the same listening level.

What I do know is that if I decide to keep Tidal on the lap top I will need to take the control point away from the lap top and onto a handheld device as it is in another room and even after two hours frustrating me to have to get up to change music, and one of the great things about Tidal is to flick though and hear lots of different music.

Could Tidal be a game changer for me? Not sure yet. In the two weeks I have had it I have not bought an album, and i usually buy about 8 to 10 per month,
I can see how you are tied to a subscription as all the music is saved , and I would imagine it could increase significantly as its incredibly good value at the present rate. An absolute steal really.
I may end up keeping it for use with my new DAP only, we will see. What I can say for now is its highly addictive for new music, and wow have I relived some memories delving back in time.

A big issue for me is that I need to be able to have a decent portable set up for my trips abroad etc and I would still need to buy albums to do this as currently Tidal not available offline on my DAP.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
Just to add a strange thing. I have been listening exclusively to my new DAP for just under a week now and the Devialet has not been used for music playback and today when I used the Devialet I was very underwhelmed by how it sounded, never felt that before. Just goes to show I think my ears just get used to a sound and then something different sounds almost strange.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Keep us posted on how AIR goes Womaz. At least it's working so far.

I reckon you might have some volume control enabled on the AIR machine maybe? Local files and Tidal are identical volume for me (via Roon), you shouldn't need to increase.
I often find I prefer the balance of headphones. Especially compared to my untreated room. But it's too restrictive and too uncomfortable long term.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(22-Mar-2017, 16:53)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Keep us posted on how AIR goes Womaz. At least it's working so far.

I reckon you might have some volume control enabled on the AIR machine maybe?  Local files and Tidal are identical volume for me (via Roon), you shouldn't need to increase.
I often find I prefer the balance of headphones. Especially compared to my untreated room. But it's too restrictive and too uncomfortable long term.

I will keep you posted and I will check the volume control.
As for the comfort of HPs I do agree, however I have found that using the in ears has not give me this issue. Again though it could be "new toy syndrome". I have ordered some new in ears as I felt the DAP deserved it Big Grin
(22-Mar-2017, 16:53)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Keep us posted on how AIR goes Womaz. At least it's working so far.

I reckon you might have some volume control enabled on the AIR machine maybe?  Local files and Tidal are identical volume for me (via Roon), you shouldn't need to increase.

Ok could you point out how I can sort this  Big Grin
Ok lap top froze twice this afternoon. I have no idea if this is an AIR or Tidal issue, but as i use the lap top for work this is no good for me.

Next time it happens I will have to uninstall Chrome, Tidal and AIR!

I thought I was getting there Big Grin
Well my experiment does not go well Smile
My laptop freezes when using Tidal. It happens sometimes when I change track or album. It has also just happened when the album was going to the next track

My laptop gave me the following error code
DPC -WATCHDOG-VIOLATION

So I dont think its an AIR issue, I beleive its Tidal. I will be removing it from my laptop.