Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV Remote with Gold Phantoms
I just bought a new LG GX TV, and the sound quality is horrid on it...
I have my Gold's connected to it via toslink; but managing the volume through a separate app on my phone is always a pain...
Is there a way I can leverage the LG remote to manage the volume of my speakers? Is there some type of hub I can place between them (like a Sonos amp or something simple) that would give me the ability to manage both the TV and volume with my TV remote?  (otherwise I'm looking at a soundbar with ARC compatibility)

The answer to this is probably buried somewhere in the forum, but I thought I'd start a fresh thread Smile
Easiest is getting the Phantom remote. Then find a way to essentially mute your TV speakers, usually it's an option within the menu. That is how I control my Phantoms when using them for my TV.
I have an LG b6 to phantoms. I use a media streamer called Nvidia Shield TV. The unit comes with a nice remote.
You can connect USB on the Nvidia to optical on phantom. You just need a USB to optical passthrough device.
Or hook up Nvidia Bluetooth to phantoms. The Nvidia remote will control the volume either way.

I've never been able to get the LG remote to control the phantoms volume without some kind of media streamer attached to the TV

Sent from my LM-V450 using Tapatalk
I muted my TV and rely on the Phantom Remote when using toslink. When I use my Nvidia Shield to watch movies, I can control the sound using the Shield TV remote.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
(31-Jul-2020, 20:13)kameraguy Wrote: Easiest is getting the Phantom remote. Then find a way to essentially mute your TV speakers, usually it's an option within the menu. That is how I control my Phantoms when using them for my TV.

You find this has worked well for you?

I've debated buying the Phantom remote... just been worried about connection problems (does it always connect, is the response instant, etc.), and I've also heard the battery leaks frequently too.
(03-Aug-2020, 01:37)Yar36 Wrote:
(31-Jul-2020, 20:13)kameraguy Wrote: Easiest is getting the Phantom remote. Then find a way to essentially mute your TV speakers, usually it's an option within the menu. That is how I control my Phantoms when using them for my TV.

You find this has worked well for you?

I've debated buying the Phantom remote... just been worried about connection problems (does it always connect, is the response instant, etc.), and I've also heard the battery leaks frequently too.

If you're afraid of batteries leaking, just change the batteries when receiving your remote. In DOS2 both the response and connection issues is supposed to be sorted out.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I have three devialet remotes in one room with two phantoms for years now without any problems
For those using devialet speakers with their TV....is this the primary source of audio from your tv? How do you find it?
Is it suitable for all types of TV audio? (Eg dialogue, movies, gaming etc) and volume levels (low as well as high)?
I’m debating using the Devialet speakers for all sound or getting a separate Sonos arc bar. 

Thoughts?
(03-Aug-2020, 19:09)Yar36 Wrote:
(03-Aug-2020, 08:15)Johnnydev Wrote: I have three devialet remotes in one room with two phantoms  for years now without any problems

For those using devialet speakers with their TV....is this the primary source of audio from your tv? How do you find it?
Is it suitable for all types of TV audio? (Eg dialogue, movies, gaming etc) and volume levels (low as well as high)?
I’m debating using the Devialet speakers for all sound or getting a separate Sonos arc bar. 

Thoughts?

I use my Phatoms as movie/TV sound and they work very well as long as you're able to delay the picture to get the A/V in sync. They won't work for gaming due to the delay. You could use the optical direct mode of you're still on DOS1, then you'll get rid of the delay but then you'll have to get a pre amplifier too.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I use them for gaming and they work okay. I know there's a delay, and maybe I'm not as discerning a gamer as I thought, but I find it acceptable.