Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TV Remote with Gold Phantoms
I use one optical port from the TV and everything that goes to the TV. The other port is hooked to an endpoint (Raspberry Pi) for music when I don't need the TV to be turned on. The remote works well after DOS2.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
(03-Aug-2020, 19:09)Yar36 Wrote: For those using devialet speakers with their TV....is this the primary source of audio from your tv? How do you find it?
Is it suitable for all types of TV audio? (Eg dialogue, movies, gaming etc) and volume levels (low as well as high)?
I’m debating using the Devialet speakers for all sound or getting a separate Sonos arc bar. 

Thoughts?

I use my phantoms for all sound and essentially use my TV as a “prep amp” / monitor.  That is, along with OTA TV, I have an Xbox, Nintendo, and Apple TV all connected to the TV with the TV’s digital out going to the Phantoms.  It usually works fine sound quality wise, but on occasion there have been issues with the speakers disappearing such that I have to set up the speakers again.  For critical listening, I will use a Upnp via a Mac mini which is also connected to a TV and there is an appreciable improvement in sound quality.
(03-Aug-2020, 19:09)Yar36 Wrote: For those using devialet speakers with their TV....is this the primary source of audio from your tv? How do you find it?
Is it suitable for all types of TV audio? (Eg dialogue, movies, gaming etc) and volume levels (low as well as high)?
I’m debating using the Devialet speakers for all sound or getting a separate Sonos arc bar. 

Thoughts?

My family and I use various flavors of Phantoms (Classic, Silver, Golds, and Reactor 900s) for audio when watching or streaming videos.  In my case I'm running my Phantom Premiers on DOS1 using optical direct mode and Dante dongles and my Phantom Reactors on DOS2 using custom install mode with Dante Dongles.  I'm using Savant to control the volume to the Phantoms by either controlling the volume on my Anthem receivers or by controlling the volume on my Symetrix Radius.  With this setup, I'm able to use a single remote to control the TV/Streamer and control the volume of the Phantoms.  

Hope this helps.
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(03-Aug-2020, 21:05)ragwo Wrote:
(03-Aug-2020, 19:09)Yar36 Wrote:
(03-Aug-2020, 08:15)Johnnydev Wrote: I have three devialet remotes in one room with two phantoms  for years now without any problems

For those using devialet speakers with their TV....is this the primary source of audio from your tv? How do you find it?

Thoughts?

I use my Phatoms as movie/TV sound and they work very well as long as you're able to delay the picture to get the A/V in sync. They won't work for gaming due to the delay. You could use the optical direct mode of you're still on DOS1, then you'll get rid of the delay but then you'll have to get a pre amplifier too.

Is there a pre-amplifier that works and doesn't cost more than the phantoms connected to it? From the sound of it the pre amps are gonna cost thousands of dollars. But at that price range would it make more sense to just splurge on the Expert Pro and connect to some other brands' speakers?
The Yamaha WX-C50 is a good and versatile preamp with adjustable optical output.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(10-Sep-2020, 01:31)ragwo Wrote: The Yamaha WX-C50 is a good and versatile preamp with adjustable optical output.

Second!  Its an amazing little device.  The only downside is the smartphone app...
6 x Phantom Gold, 3 x Phantom Silver, 2 x Phantom Classic, 9 x Phantom Reactor 900, Symetrix Radius AEC-2, 2 x JBL Synthesis SDP-55, Dante
(10-Sep-2020, 01:31)ragwo Wrote: The Yamaha WX-C50 is a good and versatile preamp with adjustable optical output.

Let me see if I understand the purpose of this device correctly.. Since there is only one optical out, if I want to achieve a 5-channel surround setup, do I connect one to each Phantom Premier in direct optical mode, and Yamaha's software will take care of multichannel remapping?
(10-Sep-2020, 22:33)misterhon Wrote:

Let me see if I understand the purpose of this device correctly.. Since there is only one optical out, if I want to achieve a 5-channel surround setup, do I connect one to each Phantom Premier in direct optical mode, and Yamaha's software will take care of multichannel remapping?
The Yamaha WX-C50 is a stereo preamplifier, if you need a surround preamp with optical output to every channel you'll have to use an Anthem or similar. They're really expensive. You could use a surround preamp with analogue outputs and a lot of A/D-converters. Cheaper but it involves an unnecessary D/A/D-conversion.
My Phantom Voyage
(11-Sep-2020, 00:05)ragwo Wrote:
(10-Sep-2020, 22:33)misterhon Wrote:

The Yamaha WX-C50 is a stereo preamplifier, if you need a surround preamp with optical output to every channel you'll have to use an Anthem or similar. They're really expensive. You could use a surround preamp with analogue outputs and a lot of A/D-converters. Cheaper but it involves an unnecessary D/A/D-conversion.

I don't think I see the Anthem preamp that has that many optical outputs on their products website, maybe I'm looking for the wrong thing. Is the added expense related to software/codec licensing?
It's not exactly a mainstream product, that could be the reason why it's so expensive. Devialets solution is less than stellar, look to the Sonos and other manufacturers, they have managed to make surround setups without the need for super expensive stuff like Dante.

Maybe the Anthem preamps has digital outputs for every channel? It's been a while since I researched the topic. @njaiswal is the go to man regarding Phantom surround setups, he has a lot of experience.
My Phantom Voyage